Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram install for dumb dumbs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hi pinion, Jul 17, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, i have had this ram i bought for my HP sitting here for a year now, and i was kind of afraid to intall it myself. How hard is this to do? Can you really mess stuff up if not done right? :doah:

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

from what i remember you must match the memory from manufactorers and match the memory size for the pairs. It's been a while since I have done this.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Do you remember your computer screaming afterwars??? :D Like a big diff of what?

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You open it up and put it in.

Since you've had it sitting them for a year, I would recommend asking a nerd friend to install it for you. It will take them about 60 seconds, and that includes looking for the screwdriver.

The only way RAM will make your system scream is if you were using the pagefile excessively.

If you decide to do it yourself, make sure to ground yourself. Second, make sure you don't accidently remove anything. I had a coworker ask em if she could install her own RAM, and I told her how to do it. Somehow she unplugged her CPU fan and then the computer overheated and fried the MB. I would have thought the CPU would have friend and not the MB, but that is what happened.

You are sure the MB will accept more memory? That the memory is the correct type?

5. kyser_soze

Big difference. I started out with only 126k and ended up with 378k or something like that. More than twice as much ram memory It free'd up for other programs.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You mean 128 and 384.

512 is really the minimum for an XP box, IMO. For performance, I'd recommend 1G, which is what I have in mine.
    If I were building a new box I'd go with 2G of pc3200, but that 2G would be wasted on my current compouter (nforce2 w/ mobile XP2500+ at 2.3 GHz.)

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My computer has 512 MB of RAM. I installed it myself. Pretty easy too do. I started off with 128 MB of Ram, Just take out the old card and installed the 2 new ones. And yes, I did notice a big difference after I upped the memory. My computer is a IBM 2254G23 machine with a 1ghz Pen 3.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I was think you were talking about a Hyd Assist RAM
    I also though that HP = High Pinoin... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

9. kyser_soze

That's what I initially thought also. I was going to flip some chit for being on the wrong forum :rolleyes: , but I was wrong instead. :doah:
    I think he will like the difference.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jacob, i know this is the lounge and all but when i read Ram and HP in the same sentence i was thinking you were talking about a hydro ram for your Hi-pinion D60 that you sold and now you have this hydro ram laying around that you wanted to install on your existing axle. :thinking:

Maybe you should ask this question on a board for computer geeks. :D

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Easiest thing you can do, really helps too if you only have the minimum already.

Installing RAM
    Installation
    [​IMG]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]David Risley[/font]

This is how to put RAM in. Keep in mind that some computers have oddball chip sizes. If the instructions are Greek to you, head to the shop.
    1. Turn off the computer, unplug it, and take off the case.
    2. Get your memory. Make sure all guidelines are met.
    3. Install the RAM.

Your computer organizes its SIMM sockets into groups called banks. Some boards say that two sockets make a bank. Some say that one is a bank. Nevertheless, a bank must be full. A half-full bank will drive your computer bonkers. Also, you can't mix two different kinds of memory in a single bank. For example, you can't put a 4MB SIMM and a 8MB SIMM in one bank and expect to get 12 MB of RAM. Also, many systems require you to put the memory in in pairs. Therefore, if you want 32 megs of RAM, you have to use two 16's in instead of one 32.

Here's a shortcut that is almost always true. An older computer with a 386 or an early 486 chip usually has a 4 socket bank of 30-pin SIMM modules. A later model 486 requires only one socket of 72-pin modules. Pentium machines have two socket banks of 72 pin modules, meaning you must install RAM in pairs. In all of these systems, the bank must be full for your system to operate.

Many newer motherboards have the 168-pin slots for SDRAM. Each SDRAM slot is a bank, so one SDRAM chip will work fine. Other motherboards have both SIMM and DIMM slots. Usually, each DIMM slot is a bank, just like normal. The SIMM slots right next to them are usually paired in a bank, just like the normal Pentium bank setup.

Now that that is out of the way, install the RAM. First, ground yourself. Then pick up the SIMM and look for the notched end. That notch will only go in in one way, so if it goes in, it's right. Push the SIMM down into the socket. Tilt the SIMM slowly until the spring snaps into place and holds it in. With DIMM chips, the setup is slightly different. There are little levers that hold the DIMM in place. When installing, you open the levers. They flip to the side. You then push the DIMM in place. The notch is off-center, so it will only allow the chip in the right way. Once it is in all the way, close the levers.

Every more detailed and maybe easier to follow installition: Clicky!

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

No lol, :haha: :D

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Your such a focking retard :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Lets see you do it then , wiseguy Mcgoo!!!When i said adding ram, i meant to a computer,mot the ramming that you are used to..... :haha: :haha: :p: :D

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Done did it You dumb focking dummy :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, nobody wants to get down anymore :D , its ****ing boring lately lol, its good to see someone else has the fire still. :D

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Btw thanks dontoe :thumb:

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I say fock em and just be yourself. PC sucks Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I's got's ya sum ram big boy!!!

[​IMG]

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status