Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RAM JET 350 VS. no warranty

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Jun 27, 2001.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Well the plan WAS to buy a 87 350 for my 85 blazer and put a TPI/TBI system on it. I just got back from the Chevy dealer and as it turns out I can't do this if I want a warranty!! It has to be original application to have the warranty. And I don't want a Carb any more. My only other option is to buy a RAM JET 350 for $5265!!! with a 12 month warranty. Question is how good is this RAM JET 350? Is it worth it? Is there any other options? I really don't want to keep the Carb.

2. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

for over 5 k that motor should come with a hot blonde who's wish is your command. Nothing wrong with the ram jet, but there are better deals to be had. Check around

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thought I saw an advertisement for this engine through Jim Pace (www.paceparts.com) for $4495. Still a lot more than I can afford but quite a bit cheaper than you were quoted.

Smitty

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

If your planning on spending $5k go with the gm350Ho and a Howell EFI, you could get both for under $4k

"The more Beer , The Harder the Trail!"

5. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I can't get the GM 350 HO and put anything on it but a Carb, for the warranty it must be orignal application. I did see a cheaper price on that engine at Autocenter.com for about $4495 ship it to me for $204. So it will still make out better, but I would have too send any parts down to Texas where they are at if something is wrong.

Does anyone have the RAM JET system or know someone how does? It's it worthless, good, troublesome anything? Am I going to buy a $5000 paperwieght or a investment?

6. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

How much does the dealer want for an original replacement? Just wondering>...

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

$5k for a small block? Give me a break! You can build a really wild one for 1/2 that!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Which long block are you looking at...? I would recomend a short block setup w/ some worked heads to fit the system you want...TBI or TPI.. Most places cover a short block in terms of warranty unless you race it, use nitrous, redline it, super/turbo charge it, insane use type things w/ a stock block... I mean most likely thing to hapen is a spun bearing unless someone really screwed up. But broken rods and stuff would more likely be by useage... Also keep in mind if you plan to install and break in the block yourself GM greatly down grades their warrenty standards anyways... at least that is what I've heard. I would try and find a well respected engine or race shop and have them do the whole motor for ya... tell them what you want and what not... I'm sure it will be cheaper then 5 grand!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

9. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

For an original replacement of a 350 long block I was quoted $1595. I found some on Autocenter for around $1300.

10. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

It would be nice if I had the means to build one. I lack the experience and the time. And my 305 isn't going to last much longer. In the future I do plan on building one but now is not the time. This engine comes with all the computer and sensors, plus it's all new. I don't have to hunt sh*t down at an bone yard.
    It's Part number is 12495515

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want, come to my house. Not only will you leave with a new motor, we can make a campfire of $1 bills that you would have wasted spending $5k on a motor. It'll probably burn for a week.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Isn't the Ramjet 350 a streetcar motor, built for impressive HP numbers at the expense of low-end torque??
    If I'm wrong I'll shut up...

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

13. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I dunno, never drove one, but it has 400ft/lbs at like 3500, not too bad. Not like the fast burn 385, which peaks much higher in the RPM band.