Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram Jet 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jan 8, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 350 tbi and i saw the trucks episode with big blaze and thats an 88 with the Ram Jet in it, i was wondering how dificult it would be to put that motor into my truck, also is that engine tuneable?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm wondering the same stuff so i would like to know too.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

3. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

From what I heard about the install, all you need is a fuel system to support fuel injection and a 12 volt source to run the computer. The same article also stated that the computer is an open loop type and will only work with what the engine comes with such as cam and heads. Pretty neat package though, wish I could afford it.

4. Lee

Lee Registered Member

I just received my ram jet crate motor today...It is in fact an easy bolt in but you need to get some additional parts with it when you order it
    1. It does not come with dipstick tube or dipstick
    2. It comes witha manual flywheel so if you run an auto you must order the correct flexplate and throw away the one that comes with it. (why you can't specify before you order is beyond me and probably why GM loses so much money)
    3. You need a starter to match the flex plate
    4. You need an electric fuel pump setup.

I got mine from Scoggins Dickey (they advertise here) They could have told me that I needed to get these parts it would have helped out alot.

Lee

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Very easy 4 wires and marked very well but I also had problems getting all the gas fittings so think 2 weekends to get parts and install
    And for the rest I side with lee

GOODLUCK

Patrick

89 gmc jimmy 35" 10bolt front and back
    but the build up is on the way

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Very self contained motor, even has its own computer mounted on the rear of the manifold..........as stated, you get the proper high pressure fuel lines/pump combo and you are good to go.

Only issue I see with it is it does not use an O2 sensor..........but they are now available from I believe Arizona Speed and Marine to enable the O2 sensor, and allow the computer to go into closed loop operation.

<font color=blue>SWEET motors</font color=blue>.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need to check with your state emissions folks before you drop the cash. That engine isn't certified emissions legal. So find out what the requirements are for your area first. It would suck to drop that much money into it and then not be able to register it! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i couldnt afford the ram jet version of my engine, had my engine not blown i would have waited a few months till i had the cash for it. wiring is pretty simple, like everyone else said, converting the gas to electric pump will be the biggest headache. and even then thats not very hard.
    definatly a good investment.