Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ram steering with Stock PS pump question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jan 27, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I saw the article on the main page, but want some more insight from y'all. I am going to be running the Redneck Ram setup from Matt. I believe it is a 1-3/4" x 8" ram he is sending. Am I going to have volume issues with my stock pump? Do I need to increase its volume as the article shows? What about power?

Thoughts and tips from you guys running such a setup would be really helpful.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Matt is your best source of info. Give him a call (or PM/email).

My experience won't help much due to different equipment. I've got a larger ram AND hydro boost brakes. As for raising the power, I wouldn't do it. You'll just start braking stuff (like the pump among other things). What I need (and you may need to a lesser extent) is to increase volume. But, as Matt told me, you should bolt it all up first and see. With the smaller ram and no hydro-boost, you may be just fine stock. If it's too slow (I only notice it at idle even on mine) then increase the volume one size like the site says...

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I increased the volume the same way Steve did on the article. With the ram (1.75 8") fully extended I notice the pump resivour almost empty. After topping it off then compressing the ram the pump would overflow and ooze through the cap. No problems at all after the radiator hose mod. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I run/ran a 1.5"x10" ram on a D44 with a stock pump. Worked fantastic...even at highway speeds. Only once or twice did I notice that I could use a little more flow at idle. If I was to continue running the D44, I would boost the pump flow up- just a little. Best advice is to put it together and try it out.