Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rambling about which is Better, GM or Dodge!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Batmanjr, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

This used to be a post on an engine swap, now it is nothing but a never ending arguement! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Good luck to you both, and thanks all who contributed to my question! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Cummins VS GM Diesel

The 93 and 94 Cummins engines out of Dodges are completely different animals. Same blocks, pretty much the same heads, but the fuel system and turbos changed a lot with the new body style. If youre going for good power for cheap and great mileage and ease of working on it, go for a 89-93 motor, they can be had for pretty cheap and with an injector change and a turn of a few screws, can get 250 or so hp and 600 ft. lbs of torque to the rear wheels and last forever. The 94- 98 12 valves are still a mechanical engine, but the fuel system is a bit more complicated. However, with a few modifications (cam plate, injectors, governor spring kit, delivery valves) you can get between 350-600 hp, for more than 350 a different turbo is advised to keep EGTs down and boost up. You can get away with spending only a grand or so on this engine and easily get 350-400 rwhp. This is the engine I have in the garage right now. Sometime I can take a pic for you when I get my destroyed 6.2 apart to compare its pistons to the pistons out of my Cummins ( I rebuilt it with new pistons and bearings). I can tell you that a con rod and piston assembly on a Cummins DWARFS the same parts on a 6.2, Id say twice the size or close to. Obviously the Cummins wont bolt right in, so you will have to make motor mounts and also get a suitable transmission for it. Of all the pics Ive seen it fits in there very nicely, even with the engine driven fan. Its all in how much you want to get out of the truck and how long you want it to last at a high power level, I will tell you that a 6.2 or 6.5 will not take high power levels for very long no matter what anybody tells you, and if they do they are lucky. Hope this helps.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If I could get a Cummins for a good price, it'd be in my crewcab in a heartbeat! Strength is a key point with the 5.9L Cummins - it's often used in 5-ton delivery trucks.

The 89-93 uses a rotary injection pump - which limits the power potential a bit (600lb-ft hardly sounds limited /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

94-98 uses the inline pump - which is the one you hear about churning out 800+lb-ft.

Get a NV4500 together with it, swap in a GM 32-spline output, and then you can ask Steve about hooking your Doubler up to it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

not a big fan of cummins- have a brother in law who is die hard dodge diesel man- I guess I'm spoiled with the Duramax, /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif which is in a land of it's own. I think I'd go with the gm diesel...why would you want to put a dodge engine in a chevy? I mean I understand why those jeep guys swap in 350's, but .....

all in all the cummins does seem to have some pullin power, but empty, it can't seem to get out of it's own way, He had a 95, and now has a '01 doesn't seem to be much of a difference between those 2. both a dogs

Brandy

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

My Dad has a 95 Cummins and he can break the back tires loose if he puts his foot in it. He pulls his 5th wheel in it and can still cruise on the freeway like it was nothin'.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

"why would you want to put a dodge engine in a chevy?"

Who said anything about a Dodge engine? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

We're talking about a Cummins diesel here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Ford w/Cummins ad
    Freightliner w/Cummins ad

7. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

If im not mistaken ford owns cummins. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Sorry, you're mistaken. It's a common misconception that doesn't seem to want to die down. Ford has never owned Cummins.

Here's the proof.

Casey

9. BlueBlazer

Go to http://turbodieselregister.com/ if you want to see some Cummins who cant get out of there own way, BTW, the only truck diesel that is worth buying in my opinion has an inline configuration and cast iron cylinder heads.

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

LOL, thanks

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies, now that I have the specs on the engine... If I have the harness and computer, how much harder is it to put a 24 valve cummins into a chevy vs the 12 valve? If all I need is a harness and a computer on the firewall, why not??? Anyone? Except for the motor mounts, it seems to be a straight forward drop! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. BlueBlazer

Why would you want a 24 valve?

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Better power, Better HP and more options to upgrade! Why would I not is a better question? I'm asking for reason, not being smart! Really why would I not want a 24 valve if they were the same price?

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 24V does have more stock horsepower, but I thought the 12V was easier/cheaper to hop up, and you could actually get more from the 12V.

Maybe I'm behind the times /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. BlueBlazer

The 24 valve is: more expensive, harder to swap in, capable of less power, less reliable, more expensive to fix if problems should arise. Just cause there is 24 valves doesnt mean its automatically better than a 12 valve.

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

WHy is it harder to dropin? All you need is the engine harness and PCB box to go with it, right? Is there something I'm missing? When I did the research on the two engines, after modifing both, the 12v is caple of 600+ Ft/lbs, while the 24v is capable of 800+ Ft/lbs... The 12v is at 300+ HP and the 24v is at 400+ HP! The 24v is definately able to put out more, but this doesn't mean that the cost to improve these two is the same! It might cost me twice as much to tweek the 24v and I can see this arguement against it and it's a big part of my decision... Why less reliable? Why more expensive to fix? They both run off the same princables(SP?) but one has electronic sensors to feed the PCB! I can see the arguement that electronics are expensive, yes, anything I'm not seeing here!? I'm trying to decide if the power outweighs the cons? I don't want to just settle for the 12v because it's more conveniant, I don't plan on having much trouble at all with either, that's why I'm doing the swap in the first place! Any Cons towards teh 24v that are specific that I don't know about?

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

18. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, and you're right, already bookmarked! Thanks again! Bruce

19. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

You can get a whole more power out of a 12v cummins than 300hp 600ft/lbs!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I would agree with blueblazer. its cheaper to buy, cheaper to up grade, cheaper to fix, and easier to install a 12v over a 24v

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well a diesel engine is an air pump, so if you can get more air in and more air out you get more power. That leads to the fact that if 24v has a bigger area of air in and out then it can produce more power, albeit more costly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif