Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ramblings of a 4x4 addict

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Feb 6, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Man I started this obsession back in '89 when I had my first subscription to four wheeler. I was 11 years old. Not trying to date anyone, just giving perspective. My dream truck was a '77 blazer that was featured in the mag. It was on a poster in my room. This thing was lifted 10", with 39" Baja Belted M/Ts and $1500 worth of rims. It was the "perfect" off road vehicle. The coolest thing about it though was that it had the doors welded in and then cut out like this:
    _ _
    \__/

That thing had about 16 shocks and a multi color paint scheme from hell, but it was my favorite and I dreamed of the day I could make one just like it.

When I turned 16, my dad bought my first truck for me, a '91 Toyota 4x4. Not exactly what I wanted, but more reliable in my parents eyes. It was a super fun truck, and all I did was add smittybuilt bumpers and 30x11.5x15 TSL/SX tires. I'd spank rigs off road with 35's and loud stereos and lift blocks. So I began to think function was where it was at.

Sold it when I began college and got a 96 F150 2wd brand new. Parents helped me on this one too, and since I had ragged on the 4x4, their condition was it had to be 2wd. Well I discovered the cotton fields of west texas and the abundance of jack rabbits that lived out there. Going accross that field at 40mph across the grain was a whole lot of fun, but kinda hard on suspension and now the truck has 130K and eats front tires like candy.

About a year after selling the '91 toy, I bought a '83 toy. This thing was about as ugly as it gets, with rust rising through the bed. I'd always heard how awesome Toyotas are, and thought I can't go wrong with this. But this ended up being the most jerry rigged truck in creation. It had a rebuilt motor with a chevy alternator and starter, used a blank key for the ignition and doors (later turned into a flathead screwdriver), wires everywhere, shift forks so worn out I couldn't even feel the gears, just had to know where they were. It was ugly and black and rust but was a fun playtoy at the local rock quarry. The ignition went out so I wired in a push button starter. Yep that's right, hop in, push the button, and off you go.

Then I became interested in tuff truck racing. A local monster truck race came to town, and I was in like flynn for $40. It was set up on a motorcross type track and I flew the pos to a 3rd place out of 17. Only things that beat me were a hummer and a yugo. That's where I learned that 2wd isn't always where it's at. Anyways, I sold that piece of garbage and bought the blazer.

Funny how things always come around full circle. I've now got my blazer but my priorities have all changed. I know that looks aren't important. But function is. And longetivity even more so. This truck isn't anything like what I had envisioned, but I'll tell you what, I'm happier with it than any of my previous trucks. I think this will be the "perfect off road vehicle".

haha

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ain't it funny how 'perfect' changes almost daily? My definition of the perfect wheeler has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. When I first got my Jimmy I figured an alarm and painting my rims black was about all it needed[​IMG] I had fun with it from day one but my 'wish' list and 'mod' list has grown considerably longer and more detailed.
    Oh yeah...I run a push button starter switch in my truck, but all it does is activate the starter. You still need a key to actually sart my truck.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had to do that on my dually. It had an ignition problem where you'd get in turn the key and nothing. LOL!

At first, 33's were as big as I'd go. I'm running 36's now and I think I can fit....well..ya know. I didn't want to trim at all and now my fenders are hacked. Bigger axles, etc....
    It's a disease!

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

4. tRustyK5

Soon it'll be bobbed chopped and running 44's with a 600 hp FI big block...and then you'll start getting serious![​IMG]

rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yep, and running 2-1/2 ton rockwells with reduction gears, a doubler with an atlas, and maybe some tank treads when you want to retire your street boggerz!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well....you know.....when Nick gets a better job after he graduates, we plan on getting a newer toy 4x4 and the blazer go to 'trail rig' status, so there's no telling what'll happen. [​IMG]

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

7. tRustyK5

Here Bryan, I found ya a set of tank tracks for your Blazer...

<a target="_blank" href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=601556796>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=601556796</a>

If I had a bit of spare money i'd consider picking these up!

Rene

8. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

then you will be in my predicament-

i'm dropping money and time on both my blazer and tacoma.....

if you get a tacoma, make sure to get the V6, and the factory electric locker. it rocks.

PS for 2K more, you can have a factory supercharger. be ready to buy rear tires///////

greg
    greg

* keep the greasy side down *

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

It's a Never Ending process... You do certain mods,or buy certain things...and in a bout a year. You find that a different company makes a better product.

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Just some Negitive Space..</a>

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda in your boat, although not nearly as long into it... my first 4 wheeling experiences were in the back of my uncle bob's 76(?) Bonanza K10 pickup truck... we went rolling down a desert trail out in the Borrego california area, and a moderate speed, my uncle, father, and aunt up front securly fastened, and about 10 of us in the back, under the Camper shell. it was cool, the whole concept of taking a vehicle offroad, and around various things... then, on the way back, for whatever reason, uncle dumped the hammer, and baja'ed the road back out of this place. peering through the passthrough window in the truck, I glanced a good 50 MPH on the speedometer... then, we hit the whooptie-doo's that marked the entrance to the trail, catching air 3 times... the 10 of us ended up as a giant ball in the middle of the truck slamming from cieling, to mattress pad, to cieling, and back again in 3 quick repetitions. if I recall, that was 1990...

next, I had Hells angels move in on the corner of our cul de sac... my friend Dan, started work on one vehicle after another, going through as many vehicles as 55willy owns... first a 77 silverado 3/4 ton, he traded to his stepdad for his 76 1/2 ton, which he sold for a 76 blazer, and 78 parts jimmy, which he turned into a monster of a truck, with taste tho... he bought a 69 camero, with plans of restoration, dropped a crate with a cam into it, and started on the long battle of doing the body work. sold the blazer, and bought a 300 dollar crashed datsun.. finished the basic body work on the camero, and let it sit, workign on the datsun.. bought a 69 bel aire stationwagon, replaced the headgaskets, painted it primer black, sold it for 3 times what he paid, finished up the datsun pickup, used it as a wheeler, and sold it for I think 6500 bucks... pretty good for having only spent 400 on body work, and 800 on paint... boughta 91 C1500 chevy extended cab (I think it was a 91) etc...

my first vehicle was a 1977 C20 longbed,( Panda Foot) 350/sm465 3.73 rear... it had near mint paint on it, being an AZ truck, and I loved driving it. fuel prices were at an all time low since 1970, ( I paid 69 cents/gallon for 92 octane) and I racked up 60,000 miles in the 2 years before it got Tboned...

next, was a 77 C20 suburban basket case I got in july of 2000... dropped in the 350 from the pickup, which blew shortly afterwords, dropped in a rebuilt 454 which lasted approximately 800 miles before losing 2 mains... after getting it back from warranty, I dropped it back into the truck, and its run great since then... in june, 2001, I bought my K20 suburban... my first REAL 4x4... been working on it slowly and whatnot, and hope to turn it into the most impressive K20 suburban EVAR.

Sickness? yeah, I got it....

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>