Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ramhorns v headers

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Feb 13, 2002.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

If low end torque is the main objective, how do ramhorns (not the corvette ones) compare with headers (center dumps, Thorleys, etc)? Motor is a 350 bored 40 over, mild cam, and tranny is an SM-465. Another question- will powdercoating burn off of headers or is ceramic coating the only way to go?
    Jeff

sold my girlfriend and bought a blazer

2. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I have a powder coater and would not reccommend powder coating them. I would jet coat them

Evan

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, 33's <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

From what I've heard.....HPC coatings is supposed to be more durable than Jet-Hot.

I think those are both "brand names" anyway, but both refer to a high temperature coating process.... pretty sure you could find the website for either one to compare their claims too!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

4. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I run the jet hot coatings, I have a set of Dynomax headers, and have had them now for over 3 years. I have had no issues with these headers. They still look the same as the day I installed them, other than the stains from the deep mud crossings I have done with the truck.

The Jet Hot Coating, are the deal. I have run the headers so hot I could see through them, durning Fuel Injector cleaning, and still no issues.

I had the ramhorns, prior to the headers,and had nothing but problems with the cast iron cracking after time. Now keep in mind, I never bought a brand new set of the ramhorns, they were not available aftermarket 3 years ago new. Only in the last year are they available aftermarket new.

My .02 worth.

robzilla

5. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, but how do the ramhorns match up in terms of performance for low end?
    Jeff

sold my girlfriend and bought a blazer

6. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I think you would be hard pressed to find any objective evidence of low end (1000 to 3000rpm) gains from using headers. I have had them on just about everything I have owned over the past 25 years but now only have them on the Camaro that goes to the track occasionaly. Recently took them off my truck and went back to the factory rams horns and dont regret it at all. I can only remember a few sets of them that weren' t a PITA in some way, ie leaking collector gaskets, leaking gaskets at head, kluged mounts for alternator or air conditioning, extra "clearancing" required, loosening bolts, and no spark plug clearance. With that said, now I am thinking about making a set, I figure thats the only way I will get exactly what I want.

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree, the headers can be a hassle. It's critical to keep flange bolts tight and the collectors are bad about leaking. But my original ram's horns had cracks and one of them broke completely in half one day when the engine twisted too much (turned out my motor mount was broken) I like the headers except for the maintenance of bolt tighening, etc. Also they help out my truck on the road, where I wind out the higher RPMs, etc.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

8. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

72Thing, if you decide to go back the horns, I've got a set in my garage. They're in good shape, still on my old engine.

<font color=blue>As my truck gets higher my balance gets lower!<font color=blue>[​IMG] <font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo72>PICS</a></font color=red>