Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rammed My Ram! *Matt at WTO FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SAVAGE1, Feb 3, 2003.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Today while doing some of this...
    [​IMG]

I managed to do this...
    [​IMG]

And drove it home like this...
    [​IMG]

Wheelin the rest of the day without the hydro assist sucked A$$.. it was like going from a Cadillac to a Pinto. Hysteer is next

Matt, if you read this expect a call tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

*UPDATE.. I just got off the phone with Matt at WTO and he's sending out a new ram free of charge /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just need to send the bent one back. Now customer service doesn't get any better than that! He appologized for the ram bending but I assured him it wasn't the product that failed. Anyone that was there and saw it in action can vouch for the kit.. it pointed those 42's exactly where I needed. If you're planning on hydro assist.. you'd be a fool to go with any other kit!! I can't say enough about WTO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Rammed My Ram!

I've been planning on the ram in the next month or two but this last weekend I really mashed up a stabalizer, right where the ram would go. I'll have to go to Hi-Steer too.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

WOW /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif how did you manage that? Did you whack it against something or did it just self destruct loaded against a rock? Your tie rod didn't look like it took at hit.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

He backed off a rock and kinda landed on his ram /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. But I did get the whole thing on video /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Looks like it's time to upgrade to a larger cylinder..

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Whats Hi-Steer? Got a website for it? Thanks

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You would make Red Green proud. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

One pic there? what are the last two like???

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Bummer on the ram.Proud to hear some of y'all know who RED GREEN is.Noone round here heard of show cause it's on P-TV.How did ram work on road.Want to do high steer and would like ram assist we I go to 42s.Have bent couple stabilizers on my truck already and one drag link on rocks.88 GMC,SFA,HiPin D60,38s,up 8in, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you picture your steering, your tie rod runs from one knuckle across to the other fairly low. May be inline with the axle tube, may be a little lower, depending on your axle setup. Hi-steer (or hysteer or whatever) involves moving the tie rod up above the axle and above the springs. This gets it up high enough that it is very difficult to hurt.

When building my steering for my D60 to start with, I have decided to go with x-over and hysteer at the same time with the ram. Don't want to do it twice!

11. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

man yer rig looks so nice and is awesome. maybe one of these days i'll get to see it in person. those 42's look really nice.

jacob

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a larger cylinder wouldn't have made a lick of difference. It would be bent just the same.

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Like williswanter said I was on a big rock when my tire slid off and landed right on the ram. I managed to bend the tie rod in the process.

But let me just say, this WTO kit KICKS A$$! The day before this happened I went through the whole river bed and back with no probs and my tire went exactly where I wanted them to. On the way back after I removed the ram sucked big time, it was like a totally different ride.

Oh and I don't need a bigger ram as said above. I just need to keep it off the rocks. My truck is my daily driver and the 1.75" ram works great on road and is not sluggish at all with the 42's.

**Here's some advice for WTO owners.. Bring those fitting caps that come on the steering box. If anything happens to the ram on the trail you can pull it off and cap the fittings on the box. I didn't have the caps so I had to drive back 1.5 hours with the ram taped to my bumper. Since the ram wasn't engaging anything the steering was very unresponsive and dangerous /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif on the twisty roads.

14. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dang Rod! ...Did you get some wierd looks on the drive home with that Ram duct taped to yer bumper? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Glad to hear you made it home ok. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Any hint of Death Wobble on the way home, because you said that hydro ram was the cure for your truck's DW. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yer truck was kicking some serious @$$ out there! I was impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My steering got all f'd up on Saturday... I got home and saw my steering stablizer was totally bashed in. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Whoops! Hey Ryan, maybe I should have mentioned that you bashed your steering stabilizer in on a rock right after you caved in the rocker. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sorry I fogot to tell you about it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font color>

16. Ryan B.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Oh yeah... ya forgot to mention that.. or get it on video. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I checked everything out at raines but couldn't find anything to explain why my steering was messed up.
    It locked up on me in a few places. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    And the drive home felt different like something was messed up. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Not a good feeling.
    At least i found out what it was.
    ...Good thing i didn't mount a hydro ram right there like Rod did! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ya forgot to mention that.. or get it on video.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Hey man, you had your choice, either I could videotape it or spot you through it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif You didn't pay much attention to my spotting anyways, so I should have taped it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif </font color>

18. Ryan B.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Shaggy-"Yer gonna hit yer rocker"
    RyanB-"Ehhh, I don't care" *GAS*
    Shaggy-"No dude yer gonna hit your rocker"
    *Slam*

19. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

A FREE REPLACEMENT RAM!?! Now that's what I call customer service. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Try and get that from AGR /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

WTO is awesome.

BIGJ

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I don't see a reason to buy a hyd. steering ram from anyone but WTO. It's the "REDNECK RAM" for me when I go hydro ram steering. Was going to buy one from Matt anyways, but this just confirms the choise for me.