Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rammstein- "Amerika"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Rammstein- \"Amerika\"

This song is pretty damn bad-ass. My new favorite. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Doesn't really make much sense till ya see the video. It's very applicable to the times. Anyone else here into Rammstein and the like? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: Rammstein- \"Amerika\"

I love rammstein. What is the like? I'd like to know more about bands like them
    I will get there CDs soon /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the like? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!

"...And the like" meaning bands/music similar to Rammstien. haha! You crack me up man. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ah! that's why I said I want to know more bands like them. I'm not that slow! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I like the song a lot

The lyrics are meaningful, the force of American culture killing any class a lot of places have, and the mindless acceptance of it

This is not a love song

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Haven't heard the song, but everything else done by Rammstein I've pretty much liked.

7. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the song a lot

The lyrics are meaningful, the force of American culture killing any class a lot of places have, and the mindless acceptance of it

This is not a love song

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, As I was typing the intial post, I was thinking to myself, "I know Resurrection_Joe is going to reply to this thread." I kinda figured you'd be into this kinda stuff. Your description of the song is very very fitting.

Here are a couple of direct German to English translations from the song=

Nach Afrika kommt Santa Claus
    Und vor Paris steht Mickey Mouse

Translates too=

To Africa, Santa Claus comes and before Paris, Mickey Mouse stands

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Have you seen the video yet?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the song a lot

This is not a love song

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the way I took it. I haven't seen the video but I took it as a semi anti-american song. Not really saying anti american I gues just like you said, American culture taking over. THe question is do they think we are forcing it or its just catching on.

9. Zeus33rd

I think that given the atmosphere of the video, it is apparent that they were trying to say that it's catching on. None of the people in the video look particulary unhappy doing what thier doing. They all seem to be smiling and doing it willingly. All six of the band members are dressed astronaut suits playing pinball on the moon at one point. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Seeing African tribes people eating pizza and watching tv in the middle of the Serengheti is pretty wild too. I see it as a more lighthearted look at reality. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

11. Zeus33rd

Right on dude. Thanks for posting the link. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. JK5

No problem..
    "Amerika" is a POWERFULL video..everyone should watch-it!!!

I think the German's are making FUN of us... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

13. Zeus33rd

Powerful is an understatement. Makes ya wonder why/how Britney Spears and other mindless artists have gotten as big as they have... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. JK5

I'd be suprised if this video didn't get banned...in the USA.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Steve,

If you like that German martial sound you might like In Extremo. They are a cool metal band that throws in some medieval instruments like bagpipes and some stuff I've never heard of. I have the album Verehrt Und Angespien and I really, really like it.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Powerful is an understatement. Makes ya wonder why/how Britney Spears and other mindless artists have gotten as big as they have... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

big tits.

j

17. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the German's are making FUN of us... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else catch the irony that at least a portion of the song is sung in english?

I dont know how much a band from germany that sells (I would bet) a few million copies of thier album in "Amerika" would want to be making fun of us. I mean, seriously, they love David Hasslehoff over there... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah these guys sure strike me as the guys that love David Hasselhoff. In case you don't notice, they sell records all over the world, if they didn't like America they probably wouldn't have a problem making fun of us. I wouldn't if I was them. If you have fun making music, can make a living doing it all over the world and are already rich wtf do you care about the milions you will sell in a country you don't particularly like? I really do think they are making fun of us. Seems to me its all about the American mentallity that what we do is superior when in the cultural way its kind of piggish and crappy. Some people don't care about all the money in case you didn't know. Besides owuldn't it be the ultimate thing for them if it is making fun of us then we all go and buy it? I mean the CD is named after that song. If I were them I'd be laughing my ass off watching millions of copies being sold in America. Hell if it was me I'd be laughing at all the people listening to my music and having No idea what I'm saying.

oh he says in english "this isn't a love song" as well /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif oh and I was a dumbass and forgot the name of the cd again. Forgot its Reise Reise not Amerika.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Steve,

If you like that German martial sound you might like In Extremo. They are a cool metal band that throws in some medieval instruments like bagpipes and some stuff I've never heard of. I have the album Verehrt Und Angespien and I really, really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay thanks, I will look for that when I get the Rammstein CD. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Amerika (song)
    Definition, Meaning, Explanation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shot from the video"Amerika" is the second released song (view the single) from Rammstein's fourth studio album Reise Reise. The song deals with the dominance of the culture of the United States of America upon the rest of the world.

Video
    The video of "Amerika" shows the band in astronaut suits on the moon with shots of other cultures acting like Americans (eating pizza, wearing Nike shoes, etc.). In all, it is an attempt to mock American culture.

[/ QUOTE ]
    who knows if that site is right thought

http://www.free-definition.com/Amerika-%28song%29.html
    http://www.free-definition.com/Rammstein.html