Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ramsey 8.5k's on sale

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntsqd, May 20, 2005.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Better off buying a harbor freight one than that... the only good winches Ramsey has ever made are their worm gear ones.

4. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

they do say it has a lifetime warranty? :(

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The only issue with that winch is the line speed. It is a little slow. But for the price you can't beat it. And it is made in the US not china.

An NO you are not be better off buying a harbor freight POS. HF stole Ramsey winch design and copied it. But, the HF winch is made in china and not the US so the tolerances suck..

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

btw, you can get that same winch from sam's offroad for the same price, but sam's includes free shipping.

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

You know, I'm going to step out on this post. First off Ramsey Winches are far from Junk! I hope you are talking from experience based on your posts. Because I am talking out of experience, I have had my Ramsey for quite some time now, and I have flogged the everling @hit out of it.

In the begining I had some issues with the 9000 Platiumn, but since I have had the Patriot, zero problems.

Second off, Warn is not the end all with winches. Ramsey winches are damn good winches. The winch shown in the ad is acutally a very capable winch, as long as you are not looking for smoking fast line speed.

I would suggest a little background research is in order. There are a few guys that use this winch all the time and have no problems with it other than line speed.

And the winch not being the right size for a blazer, well that all depends on what wrap you are going to use it on. A 7K winch on a blazer is plenty of winch, as long as you have a snatch block. Rarely is a winch used the correct way, a 7K winch will move just about any Blazer out there with the correct recover method.

To the original poster, be a little careful of who replys to the post, make sure you don't base you decision on only the replys from this board. I love CK5 but sometimes the advice we received is incorrect or brand bias, or other.

This is my opinion, and I wheel and use my winch for much more than a bumper icon.

Don't even think twice about this winch, for entry level needs! It's a good value.

Rob

8. CyberSniper

The nice thing about Ramsey planetary winches is that they almost always stall long before the cable can break. The little motors just can't put out enough torque to break the cable. The motors don't seem to mind getting overheated... but at 2kw we're not talking about barnburning heat.

My MileMarker E12000 weighs almost one and a half times as much as the Ramsey economy line... has twice the motor, runs 3/8" cable, and has all the same downfalls of the Ramsey (broken case/bent rods)... and costs $100 more. I've never stalled mine. I've run both batteries so low that the solenoids (need about 7 volts to trigger the coils it seems) won't even keep the winch running but never stalled it.

If we were talking about Ramsey's worm gear winches I'd say jump on them like a wolf on a jackrabbit. But we're talking about a low-end winch that sits with the rest of the low-end winches at the kiddy table. And if you're going to be sitting at the kiddy table you might as well not pay top dollar for it.

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

since there are 4k lb atv winches that cost the same as the ramsey i say what the hell do you expect from a 400 dollar 8.5k winch? My bro uses a 2k lb atv winch that he got for 69 bucks for his 91 4.3L 4 door s10 jimmy and his theory is that as long as your tires are spining the winch isn't doing very much work at all. Unless your going to be rockrawling or getting stuck in mud up to the hood i don't see why this winch wouldn't do the job.

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I hate to hijack this thread and ask a stupid question at the same time, but up until now I have never heard of a snatch block; I did some research and it looks like a snatch block is pretty much like a heavy-duty pulley for making the winch not work as hard to do the same amount of work right? (Like attach snatch block to a tree or vehicle to be recovered and run the winch line through the block and back to the vehicle doing the winching)

If that's the case, then a 'properly used' 7k or 8.5k winch would have no problem pulling a fullsize (being that just one snatch block would allow the winch to do up to 14k/17k of pulling... theoretically), right? But that only works if you're within 50 feet or so since you're cutting your line length in half (unless there is a way to use/fit more winch line.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have that winch and it hasn't let me down yet. I have had it for over a year and drug myself and some others pretty well. It did suprise me at how well it worked. I has done its job fine. Would I recomend it for long pulls (more than 20 feet), no. Is it fast... no. Is it an entry level winch that does its intended job. Yes. I chose that winch due to price and warranty. I think ramsey will stand behind its product, even the cheaper version. The only thing I don't like about the winch is it is a permenent magnet motor. It gets hotter faster but just keep and eye on it. If you can step up to a T-maxx or a superwinch entry level winch for a better motor. As Rob said, check the profiles of those replying. Who actually owns a winch? Who actually uses one?

12. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

My new winch from Sam`s offroad, got it on wednesday, 9500lbs. :D

DSC00998.JPG

13. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

There is nothing wrong with that winch. The only problem i have seen is the line speed and dont use it to lift a snow plow. There is something that anybody that is interested should check out. The part number in the above link is not the part number for the rep 8.5e. The one at HF might be a reconditioned winch but im not sure. As for the rest of the line they make a nice winch and they seem to be very powerfull and have a very respective line speed. I personally like the warn line of winches but thats me.

14. CyberSniper

People keep forgetting stuff...

If you run in the mud (I do) an 8,000lb winch isn't going to get a 5,000lb rig out of the mud when you need it most. You'll end up running a snatch block. You'll be running a slow winch (slower than everybody else's 12,000lb winch) and cutting its line speed in half. You'll probably overheat it before you get 10'. Which is usually more than you need in mud... but still.

You have to remember that the 8,000lb rating is on the last layer left on the drum... it's probably somewhere around 3,000lb on the outermost layer.

Warn's M8000 winch goes on sale once in a while for pretty cheap... if you want an inexpensive winch either get that (run longer before getting hot) or get a higher-end MileMarker. The lower-end Ramsey winches would've impressed me 5 years ago but now that the winch market has tons of lower priced winches it's not the best.

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Not to side track agian but there are alot of us with little experience in winches and in the cheaper end of winches what are some people think are the better deals and why? Alot have bad to say about milemarkers elec. but what about others? :dunno:

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

If you know how to use a winch, you can use an 8,000 lbs winch to pull a 6,000 lbs rig out of the mud. You are correct about the rated line pull per each layer of cable. Pulling power goes up substantially with each layer, but you're a little off when you say the outer layer is rated at 3,000 lbs for the 8.5e. Try 5,100 lbs, I have never pulled with my winch using the first layer of cable... And I wouldn't. I would use a snatch block just to get more cable out.

I am not impressed with T-Max, MileMarker, or Superwinch for that matter. There are so many knock-offs coming to the market you're best bet would be to stay with a name like Ramsey. Most if not all (other than Ramsey) are made at the same Chinese plant using the SAME parts. YOU ARE JUST BUYING THE NAME MILEMARKER... And they are crap, just like the Chinese made tools at Harbor Freight.

The only good MileMarker winch being made AT THIS TIME, are the military hydraulic versions. And they sell for $3,000 to the military only...

btw, here's some pics of the mighty MileMarker E12,000 lbs winch...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The ramsey uses a different motor than the other cheapo winches. It's dimensions on the motor housing body are different.

18. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

RCS Off-Road Products doesn't carry Ramsey, but they are a little cheaper than Sam's and also has free shipping.

They mainly deal in Warn.

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It's spelled "garbage" and I was only posting this in case someone was looking for one.

Please take note of this as it's likely the ONLY time I'll ever send someone to POoR, but Billavista's winch article is a must-rear.

20. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Post a link to the article. I look forward to a must-rear! :D