Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ramsey 8500-LB. Winch $400.00

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Jul 7, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Northern tool has this. I think its a OK price. Item# 144155-1519 I was thinking it would be OK to pull a K5 or something like that. take care mike

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Slow as hell. I have one and it works for what I need. I am not hill master on any account, nor am I the first to pull cable. I also don't do mud. An 8500 is a little light for mud duty. I would try to say get one step up with a series wound motor, it will be a little faster and have a longer life. Mine hasn't let me down but I have only had to use it around 5 times. If that is all you have room for in the budget get it. I think it is a much better buy than a MM or HF (ramesy has a better warranty/customer service)

3. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

OK looks like i will pass on it then. mike

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Maybe I a little naïve, but don’t all electric self recovery winches use series wound motors? They are basically the same design as a starter motor, which are also series wound. Just because Warn and some other may use the phrase “series wound for power” doesn’t mean that the others are not. The fact is anything using an electric motor that needs high torque at start will be series wound. Just my $.02.

Back on topic, it seems a little low for a K5, but then again I've got one rated at 8k lbs on mine.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not sure about the series wound thing... but Warn didn't always use that phrase to describe their motors.. so either not all winch motors are, or they decided to start using it as a marketing catch-phrase for their newer motors, even though the old ones were too. :crazy:

anyway, you could get away with an 8500 IMO, just buy a good snatch block to go with it. May be slow doing double line pulls, but its better than being permenently stuck. ;)

j

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The entry level winches are permenent magnet type motors, they build up more heat and are generally slower..

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up Matt. :thumb:

8. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I put the 8000lb, $300 version on my Jeep and had very good luck with it.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

:dunno: On www.e-winches.com i saw a rep9.5e that is supose to be the same just a little higher rateing than the 800 for 469.00 that i was wondering about. But i don't know much about winches don't have one yet.