Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ramsey Patriot 9500 yeah or ney???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Aug 3, 2006.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I am looking at the Ramsey Patriot 9500 winch. I read some stuff about the early models and problems corrected by the Patriot Plus. I am looking for some opinions:

How do you tell the difference b/w the plus and first model?

Anyone running the Patriot 9500?

Would you buy it again if yours died today?

Would you recommend this winch?

EDIT: What winch would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any feedback anyone has.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i say ney....

RAMSEY PATRIOT 15K !!!!! :bow:

3. AZ79K5Project

TTT

Help...I would like any input anyone has on this winch for a K5. Is the Ramsey 15K needed for a K5 or would the 9500 be safe?

4. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I have a Patriot 9500 on the front of my truck (purchased summer '03...don't know if it is the original or plus?). I love this winch. Fast line speed, plenty strong to pull my fat pig of a truck up everything so far. No problems what-so-ever to date. I bought this particular winch because a friend of mine had the exact same winch and I was impressed by his when we wheeled together. His was bought a couple of years before mine (no problems to date on his either). His was on one of those reciever mount things and he and his father both used it (both rigs had front recievers and quick connects).... Early Bronco on 36's and 66 Chevy Truck (85 Blazer Frame) on 35's. My brother recently purchased a Patriot 12000 with synthetic line so I'll let you know about that if he ever takes it off the shelf and uses it :doah: .

To my knowledge the only difference mechanically between the Patriot 9500/12000/15000 is gearing and cable diameter. I figure get the 9500 cause its the fastest (and plenty strong for everything so far) and just double the line if needed.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rob (therobzilla) runs this winch on his truck. He has used it many times. When we wheel with him he is the designated winchman because he has the winchrope and it is safer to have him winch than anyone else. We have used it ALOT and made some hard pulls with it. I would buy that winch in a heartbeat. It is a good unit that we have used and has worked well.

Rob is one of the guys that had problems with the winch in the beginning and Ramsey changed the design and got him a new one when he had problems with it.

If I pay good hard earned money for a winch for the K5 again it will be a Warn 9500 or a Ramsey 9500.

Harley

6. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

We have the Ramsey Patriot 12,000... Give it a big thumbs up

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Like Harley said I run the Ramsey Patriot. I love it. It does the job and does it well. I run the non-wire rope, on mine. Prefer the syn rope.

You can't go wrong with a Ramsey.

Thanks,
    Rob

8. AZ79K5Project

Thanks for the input. I bought one off CL. New - Ramsey Patriot 9500.

I got it for $550.00.

Now I have to figure out how to mount it. New dble tube custom bumper or try to fab up a hidden winch through the stock bumper. I really love the dbl tube look but a hidden winch is pretty cool. I'm going to try that first.

I found plans for hidden winch mounting.

P1030496.JPG

P1030496.JPG