Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ramsey PTO 8,000lb winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Anyone running a PTO winch and would it be worth the money to buy one a rig it up to work on the front. I have the original np203 out of my K5 and it has the PTO plate on the side of it. Just checking to see if it would be worth it.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pretty hard to beat a PTO winch

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

PTO winches are awesome, as long as the engine can run. If the engine is dead from being dunked in water, or if the truck is laying on its side, then it's just some extra weight. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i dont have any complaints, and havent found anything i cant pull.

5. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Will it matter if the winch is hooked up to a J@%P manual tranny? If so, any way to make it work?

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

if you want a winch on the front, you may want to look into a hydraulic pump and motor setup. it is tough to get a PTO shaft to the front of a rig without a ton a ujoints and carrier bearings. i have mine mounted in the bed which is very useful, although it is sometimes nice to have a front mounted winch also.

pto winchs dont care what is powering them.

are you saying your going to be using jeep parts on your chevy?!?!

7. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

different animal, my take.

i run an 8000lb pto on mine. a braden lu-4 with 150' of 7/16 cable, and 10' of grade 80 1/2" chain. it has 3 ujoints, 2 bars and 1 carrier bearing. it pulls fast enough, and the nice thing about pto's is that while they dont pull unloaded as fast as most electrics, they pull the same speed under load, as unloaded.

tranny mounted pto speed is determined by engine rpm, direction (fwd/rev) is determined by a 2 direction pto box.

transfer mounted pto speed is determined by the transmission gear. i.e. 1,2,3,4,R.

while people are right that pto's dont work with the engine off, i will say you can work a pto ALL day. a pto is a much tougher winch imo. i could have gone electric, but continue to remain a pto fan.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have one that I took off a 66 International pick up.
    I took everything, winch mount and bumper, shafts, pillow blocks, tranny mounted bidirectional PTO and the control cable.
    I haven't installed it yet but will be using a T-case mounted PTO instead of the tranny mounted one.
    The bidirectional one is pretty big and hangs way down below the gearbox.
    That and I like the idea of have more than one line speed.