Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ramsey, WARN, or SUPERWINCH?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Mar 13, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Ok I have narrowed by winch selection to electric. Which one of the brand names listed above would you suggest? Its going on a removable receiver on the front.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I have a Warn HS9500i, it aint the cheapest, but I have had 0 problems with anything Warn makes and am going to stick with them. The Ramsey also has a lifetime warranty, but I have heard they have customer service problems.

As far as I am concerened, untill SuperWinch steps up their quality and their warranty, they are not even an option.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I went to Ramseys web site last week and checked their product line out. National Tire and Wheel www.natltire.com has the REP 8000 on sale for $399. While at Ramsey's site I requested a catolog and received it today. It looks to me after doiing some shopping on the net that the REP 8000 is the way to go. Just my $.02

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

4. BlueKnight

Wouldnt and 8000 be kinda light for Blazers?

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

The GVW for my rig is 6800 lbs. so I figure loaded with trail gear it probably weighs about 5800 lbs. The REP is rated at 8000 lbs. line pull. that means it will pull my rig straight up in the air without even grunting.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

6. BlueKnight

Wow thats a great price for a Ramsey. I did the math myself and the GVR on the board for my 79 was like 4340. I asked the sales guy 4wheelparts and he said it would be to light. So I did the math again 4340 + lets say 3 big guys 280 + gear I would say anymore than 500 lbs with a spare 38" and just for fun lets say 600lbs worth of add on gear, cell phone, GPS, Stereo, push bars, and such is stilll wayyyyyyy under the winchs max capacity. He said now add mud to your axles as resistance. Its close but I still feel an 8000 would be enough. How has someones 8000 done in a real stuck situation?

7. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey you also gotta remember the sales man usually won't sell you a cheaper thing.. if its between $399 and $899 which one is he gonna recommend? that's why i take your guy's advice first cause you ain't selling me stuff

Zack

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I (like Depdog) have the HS95i. (bet I had mine first! 2 weeks after they were reliesed!!!!!) As far as I'm concerned its the baddest winch on the block. I"ve used Ramsey Industural grade winches on Wreckers, Warn Winches (8475) which are bolted onto 75% of the military trucks (don't believe what milemarker says, airforce, marines, coastguard and 90% of the army uses Warn) We have a few Ramsey 8's bolted onto a few of our trucks. But its not the trucks we depend on. Mostly like 3ed Run Fire trucks.

Also, you are talking about using a 8000lb winch. My K5 weighs in (prob. more than any other blazer on this board) at 6300 empty (just full of fuel and bolted on equip) Most people will decide which winch to purchase based on its max like pull. Well take this into condieration. A 8000lb winch is only rated at 8000lb at its last wrap on the drum. Well do you want to have to unwravel the drum down to the last wrap just to recover your truck everytime? Also, what if you only anchor point is 20' away? What are you going to do with 80' of extra cable? You can use a snatch block, but its only a cure to a problem you can avoid right now. I actually wish I could have got a 12,000lb winch. But I liked the features of the 95 over the other winches. So, I'd strongly suggest you get something over 8000lbs. If you were to get a 95, thats 3000lb more if using a snatch block.

Best of luck. Just remember, its cheaper to buy big now, than replace a burnt up winch with a winch you should have bought in the first place. As far as blazers go, a 95 is about the smallest you should go. (IMOHO)

WARN RULES!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I recently bought the exact winch you guys are talking about. I also bought the Ramsey Cradle. I have only used the winch once and It came through. I was stuck in a pretty deep water/mud hole with mud on the bottom. The water/mud was over my 35" tires, about to the bottom of the doors. I had the winch on the rear, and pulled myself right out with no problems. My Blazer weighs 5,800 pounds because I weighed it at a Truck weigh stationon my way home from that exact trip. I am going to try a snatchblock to double line pull my rig someday. I will probably break the reciever. I bought my winch with the roller fairlead and got it shipped to my door for under $480 from National Tire. I later ordered the Cradle for around $120 shipped. You cant Beat the REP 8000 for price. I know there are better winches, but it fits my needs. Another cool thing is it only draws 280 amps at full load. I dont need any expensive batteries or alternator. Dont get me wrong, I like what Dep and Corey have to say about their Warns I just went cheaper and they are prolly right, I will end up paying for it someday when I am up to my neck in mud...

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well I wish you guys would figure this out cause I would notr mind getting one myself....might use it on the women folks.....

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

11. Corey-88K5

On a side note, when I get another truck (P/U) I'll be getting a Warn 8 with a cradle for the P/u with a mount in the front & rear. This will also be used for the K5 in outings. But, I"m not going to depend on it alone to recover my truck. I'll always have the 95. The 8 would recover a p/u very well I'd think. They don't weigh near as much at our K's.

COrey
    88K5

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when using a snatch block, doesnt that double your line pull power and cut the speed by half? So if your using a Ramsey 8k and a snatch block, wouldnt you be pulling at 16k but at half the speed?

13. Corey-88K5

Yes, using a snatch block will double your line capacity. But the problem is, if you are connected to a anchor point 20' away, you aren't running at 8000lbs, That would be much less. You would HAVE to use a snatch block to get a 6000lb truck out of a stuck situation. That is where a larger winch comes into play.

Go big, and never worry about it again.

Corey
    88K5

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I happen to have the Ramsey REP 8000. Depdog is right, customer service must suck, since the local rep can't get a damn solenoid from them for the last TWO months without an explanation. It was on the truck when I got it and it hasn't been used on anything major since there's no where for serious offroading around here. Just light trail rides and pulling people out of sandy areas. I fried the solenoids pulling a Model A out of the woods that has set there for forty years

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

15. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

K-5 Weight Ha Better Get A SCALE

Dont care what the stickers say, I put mine on a scale with full load and the old pig was 6400 pounds full of gear. Thas gas,water, camping supplies, and all my parts and tools. I have 35" tires and aluminum wheels. Dont know where you got the 4K pound info, but my bet is your rig weighs about 5400 unloaded and full of gas.

On the 8K winch pulling your rig straight up Gold Rush, it just wont happen. The Ramsey is only 2.5 hp and you would smoke it trying to hall a full 8k. It is only rated for that much weight on the last wrap of the drum, so you would pull about 5 feet and thats it. I went with the Warn because of a larger cooler running motor (just ask Grim, he grabbe mine to see how hot it was right after a good pull, you could hardly feel any heat). Ramsey is haveing TONS of customer service problems and not fixing their products. This is from complaints I have seen on the web and from people I know that have them. Also, on the 400 buck price tag, check to make sure these are not "factory reconditioned" winches. Some people sell them as new and dont advertise this.

Hope this dont sound like fussin, cause it aint, just trying to steer yall in the right direction [​IMG]

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

16. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I got a Warn 12,000 lb for my Suburban and then stuck it on my K5 when I got it. I've never had a problem with it. It wouldn't be a good choice for a removable winch but it will pull my truck out of any stuck. I can pull with only 10' of cable and still get out. If you look at the winch charts for the three you mentioned, the smaller winches draw a lot more amps near their peak pull than a 12,000 lb winch at that same pull. The big winches kill your approach angle but, I appreciate the 3/8" cable every time I make a tough pull.

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: K-5 Weight Ha Better Get A SCALE

I had the opertunity to see the internals of a Ramsey winch compared to a Warn winch.
    You can tell that the guts of a Warn are WAY better thatn the guts on the Ramsey. I'm no expert but by just looking at the way the gears were made it appears that Warn takes more time and care into building their winches were as the Ramseys seem to be more stamp, stuff and sell....
    And Warns customer service is Very helpfull and Ramseys ...well they never responded to me over severla attempts to contact them via email and phone, so I guess they just don't care....
    I'm sticking with the leader WARN 9500i..
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

18. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

When you select a winch you should select one that has 1.5 times the single line pulling power of your vehicles weight. With the use of a snatch block you can increase the winched pulling power by 75%, winch companies say to leave a 25% safety margin. Hope this helps
    kilomanjaro

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think winch selection really depends on how you plan on using it. If you go four wheeling by yourself and think you might bury your K5 up to the headlights, or use it a lot, then don't get an 8,000 lb. winch. But I think that an 8000 pounder is capable of pulling a K5 out of most normal stucks. I'm planning on installing a Ramsey ProPlus 9000, which I think is plenty big enough even though I go trailriding at least once per month, but I never go by myself and I don't do serious mud bogging.

20. BlueKnight

Ok hmmmm Ramsey seems not to be the choice. If Im going to drop anywhere from 300.00 to 800.00 on a product I would expect support for it. I was pondering the Ramsey REP 10,000, but since im doing a receiver install I think the HS 9500i would be the way to go since it isnt hidden behind the bumper. I really like the platinum 9500 of Ramseys to.