Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ramsey Winches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chewy, Oct 3, 2000.

1. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

In this month's Summit Catalogue, there is a ramsey winch for $500 that sounds like a really good deal. What are your guys opinions on ramsey winches? Are they good or not and if anyone has the summit catalogue, does this sound like a good deal? Thanks.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have heard that it is hard to get ramsey to back up their warranties. I have also heard that their cheap winches are just that CHEAP! However I have been drooling over a Ramsey winch in Northern Tool & Equipment catalog, it is a heavy duty 12,000LB worm drive, electric, 4.8 HP, 100' of 3/8ths cable, 4way roller fairlead, 4.70:1 ratio, line speed is 16FPM @ 0 LBS, Line pull is 3.3FPM. @ 12000 LBS, $899.99
    This is on my want list.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

that 12k lb winch is on the floor at the Raleigh NC store. It looks very very HD. I have an 8500 lb worm drive winch
    and I like the lock charactaristic of the worm design (planetary has a seperate brake mechanism)

SteveB

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I had a REP8000 for 2 years and used it about 200 times. Mostly getting my friend me out of the mud. It was on a lighter duty vehicle (J) so could not tell how it would hold up to a full size. When I get a winch it going to be in the 9K-10K category. As for the Ramsey, The only time it broke is when I snapped a cable. (Tore the jacket up but kept it lower to the ground, no personnel or vehicle damage.) I had a 1 ton Dodge chained to my J and was trying to pull a full size Chevy out. If you do this you can stretch your frame, and yes its not recommended on the safety side of things. Other than that, no problems with the winch.