Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ran into more problems lifting my k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5floyd, Nov 2, 2004.

1. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

ive got and 88 k5, thats pretty much stock, and i just got tc 4" lift springs for the front, and a ord shackle flip for the rear, and have ran into many PITA problems. the spring rear spring eyes were smaller than stock and i wasnt given any new bolts, so i had to go buy some. then on the driver side spring, the head of the rear bolt was facing the exhaust so that i couldnt get it out all the way, so i had to cut it. now that ive got both springs on, i was bolting the axle to them, and realized the driveshaft is around 4 inches too short and that the exhaust is in the way. from everything ive read, i shouldnt need to do any driveline mods. maybe its not fitting BECAUSE the exhaust is in the way? what should i do? please, help me get this done. i am very fusterated and its my only ride.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Calm down , ran into that agin on my axle swap . Sit the truck back on the ground , then the driveshaft will fit , mine is same way , take the driveshaft off , then jack up the truck on jackstands , and the shaft won't fit with the axle way drooped . Under normal wheeling it won't be an issue with a 4" lift /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

And as for the bolt size , I thought in the late 80's the rear bolts got bigger . /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

youre a genious(duh). haha. thanks though. this has just turned into a lot more work than i ever would have expected.

4. pauly383

Its gonna worth it that first time you get scared #$$%%less and excited at the same time on the trail

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The springs will settle some also once it is on the ground for a little while.

Any questions you have can be answered here on this site.

-Chris

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would be happy if those were the only problems I had.

But, you are right... sucks to have those issues with a small lift.

7. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i certainly hope the srpings settle more because its back on the ground and still about 3/4 of an inch too short, but it isnt on the exhaust anymore though. i havnt got the shocks in yet, so theyre not on. i dont think that would help though. and i havnt got the shackle flip on yet, either, so i dont know if that would help or not because of the weight transfer. anyway, thanks guys, im pretty stoked i got it pretty much done.

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    from everything ive read, i shouldnt need to do any driveline mods

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said that? When you start adding mods, they go on slightly different on every K5 depending upon condition of the vehicle and the brand used. Yes, there are a lot of guys that say their drivelines worked, and there are probably just as many that had to make driveline modifications. Just because it will hook-up and work on the street, does not mean it will work properly on the trail.

Once you start making mods, you will run into many little problems, but that is part of the fun of it.

9. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

if you are talking about the front springs where the bolt
    on the drivers side rear eye, would hit the exhaust when trying to remove it. i had the same problem. i just loosened up the transfer case mount bolts and jacked the
    transfer case up a little which also raised the exhaust enough to clear the bolt and i was able to remove it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. woods

woods Registered Member

I did the exact same lift as you and I took my rear drive shaft in and got it lengthed only costed like 90 bucks, also they paint it a high gloss black looks sweet:) Also my yoke was shot to, got that replaced and new spicer x u joints for ended up costing 300 bucks, but no more clunk when it downshifts form 2nd to 1st when stopping. By lengthing the drive shaft you put alot less stress on your u-joints and depending on how long your going to own the truck it will be worth cost in not having to replace u-joints

11. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

well, i guess i got my hopes up about not having to do any driveline mods. sure doing all the extra needed mods is fun, the problem is im a broke 16 year old, i have zero money after buy the lift,tires, and detroit(dad is payin for the 4.56 gear swap). anyway, i got another problem/question, with my lift kit i recieved two bushings which i assumed where for the rear spring or shackle and today while trying to finish up the back, i realized they are too big for either the shackle or the spring a about a 1/4" too wide and im not sure about diameter), and also the metal insert looks as if its for a 1/2" bolt, which leads me to believe they are for the the rear spring eyes on the front springs. is that right? thanks again guys

12. pauly383

Your bushing kit should of had some bushings for the rear front spring shackle UPPER where the shackle swings on the frame . Perhaps those are what you have . I assume since you have the springs on already , you already have the spring bushings covered I never put mine in since mine were OK , I am putting them in the project I have as those are worn a lot more /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. rescue58

rescue58 Registered Member

well, dont feel too bad, Ijust also did mine, and ran in to more problems than that. All the rear spring bolts were rusted into the sleeves in the springeye bushings, had to cut all 6 of them out, that was fun. Had the same problem with the front springeye bolt, but if you take out the bolt in the front of the spring, you can swing the shackle end forward enough for the bolt to clear the exhaust. My front shaft also wanted to be too short, but realized that the grease from lubing it piles up in the back half of the slip splines and if you pull on it hard enough, it will barf out the lube and lengthen to where it needs to go, at least mine did. Have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif