Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ran out of diesel!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82whitek5blazer, Jun 28, 2003.

1. 82whitek5blazer

82whitek5blazer Registered Member

Ok heres my problem, i ran out of diesel and some idiot tried to tell me to put a little diesel in the intake to get it started. Well its still sitting. After i pulled both filters and filled them w/diesel and unplugged the pink wire from the pump. i still cannot get it so start. Did something get screwed up by puttin diesel in the intake??
    And can someone help me on gettin it started? Its an 83 6.2 blazer. Only had it for a couple of months.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

FIRST UP HOOK back UP THE WIRE TO YOUR INJECTOR PUMP !!!!!
    next Well does it still turn over ??? if so ya should be ok on the amount ya poured down the intake
    but ya dont do that again its a injected motor
    here a quick try
    spray some WD40 yep Wd 40 in the intake
    about 1 second in each of the 4 inlets (total 4 seconds)
    then make sure ur glow plugs are hot and try to start it
    if no luck then i recomend ya go buy a little electric inline fuel pump
    with VERY LOW pressure less then 5 or ya can damage ur filter or pop lines off etc then install it back by the tank some were were the rubber lines connect so ya can get some fule from the tank to the lift pump ( note this is to be used in emergencys only once ya get it running leave the electic pump in for next time ya run it dry but dont use it along with the lift pump just disco the hot wire for it the fuel should flow through it no problem
    so it gonna take awhile but ya gotta bleed the air out of the system
    have ya filled up the tank all the way yet ??? or at least 5 gallons so there is some pressure from the tank 2 get it to the lift pump ???

next disco a rubber line (usually at the filter) then turn the motor over for about a 5 second count to make sure the lift pump is getting some fuel up there
    if so then its just a matter of turning it over enough and FAST enough for it to finish the air bleed system by its self if should start
    ok if it does your fee is 25.00 send it here to ck5 4 ur membership :-)
    good luck and hope it works 4 ya
    randy
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

3. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Good resp.

NO ETHER!!!! WD40 is OK, but ETHER IS BAD BAD BAD (glow plugs + ether = broken parts). I havent' tried w/ the 6.2 but I know other diesels have been known to run just by spraying WD40 in the intake. This will help your pump turn over fast enough to help it prime.

Only thing I would add is to crack open one of the injector lines (furthest from the pump) and have someone crank it while you watch. Be aware that diesel is under a lot of pressure (1600psi+), so if you crack it too much, it will spray when it shows up. Wear glasses.

In extreme cases, I've cracked all the lines to try to establish flow. One huge IH backhoe I had still took over 30 minutes to prime after filter changes.

Don't crank for more than a minute at a time and keep checking your starter for it to be too hot for you to leave your hand on for 30 seconds. If so, let it cool. No use putting a new starter in it in the process of trying to get it started.

I would also hook up a battery charger while doing this - one that can assist with cranking. The lower your batts get, the harder it is on your starter.

Moral of the story, running your diesel dry is a royal pain.

Good luck.

4. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From dead dry this is what I had to do to get my 6.2 up and running.

Remove glow plugs. Disconnect the pink wire and crank motor til air was out of pre filter and filter. Hook up pink wire, crack all the injector lines, crank until fuel dripped out then tighten one by one. If I was getting a mist coming out of the GP holes I knew I had the air out on that cylinder.

Then it finally fired up...there is more to the story but I had other issues that had nothing to do with your question.

In regards to starter abuse, I never cranked more than 15 seconds at a stretch and let it cool for at least a minute before cranking again. The batteries must be in good condition because it took a lot of cranking to get this all done.
    Rene

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Only thing I would add is to crack open one of the injector lines (furthest from the pump) and have someone crank it while you watch. Be aware that diesel is under a lot of pressure (1600psi+), so if you crack it too much, it will spray when it shows up. Wear glasses.

[/ QUOTE ] The pressure is not that high with the injector line off, the injector causes the pressure to build. But still wear safety glasses. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 82whitek5blazer

Wow its running, i cracked open the fuel line farthest away and cracked open a glow plug. Then it tried to fire so i put all togther and she started. Then o [naughty word] my neighbor across the street had his door and windows open to his house and in came my cloud of black smoke!! Yeah im gonna send in my $25. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Breathe deep!!

Just recently I was driving down Veterans Parkway here in Bloomtown and I pulled up next to a van. It said "6.2 Diesel" on the side. I asked em it was still a Diesel and they said that it was and I mentioned that I had a Diesel too!! They suggested that we give the people a breath of fresh air as we went down the road. He was on the left, me on the right. 2 Diesels wide open, pumping out black smoke on the major road in town during rush hour traffic. Do I need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif ?

9. 82whitek5blazer

Ha Ha !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Hey, here's a fix to a problem that plagued me on my latest 6.2. The primary filter was just a skoch too big and was allowing air into the lines if not cranked down. That made me end up at the same spot as running out of fuel except just adding fuel wasn't good enough.

Should be similar for anyone else running out of fuel or having an air leak they have to find.

<paste>
    It ends up that the primary is the wrong size for the filter adapter. It's a Napa 3143, which has a slightly too large o-ring. Good job, previous owner! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Here's how I found it.

1) have bright idea and whip out shop vac
    2) hook up exhaust side of shop vac to tank and pressurize
    3) remove nozzle to go look for leaks and take diesel bath /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    4) shower to remove diesel from hair & body, change
    5) have wiser idea and modify extra gas cap to take air nozzle /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    6) set compressor to 8psi (OK, it was 12) and have helper hold nozzle and add air as I request it. 60 gallon tank takes a long time to pressurize at 8psi, so shouldn't blow any seals. Take it real easy anyways.
    7) trace lines from tank to engine to find leaks
    8) AHA! Stupid filter! Fix air leak /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    9) Hey, the intake side of the electric pump is leaking too. Change spring clamps to real hose clamps. Next time I'll be able to use it to prime everything! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    10) crack open primary filter and allow to fill using pressurized fuel tank, then snug down until no more leak. Must find right size. Explains why old one was on so tight.
    11) remove secondary and route extra line from tubing into can to collect extra diesel until no more air
    12) fill secondary and install
    13) disconnect fuel return line at injector pump & crank engine until no more bubbles.
    14) crack 6 injectors and crank until fuel drips out
    15) tighten them down and crank/pause until she starts (like 4 times)
    16) HURRAH, about freakin' time.

So, learn from others. Good thing the shop vac was over and to the side. Whew, dodged another painful death.

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Breathe deep!!

Just recently I was driving down Veterans Parkway here in Bloomtown and I pulled up next to a van. It said "6.2 Diesel" on the side. I asked em it was still a Diesel and they said that it was and I mentioned that I had a Diesel too!! They suggested that we give the people a breath of fresh air as we went down the road. He was on the left, me on the right. 2 Diesels wide open, pumping out black smoke on the major road in town during rush hour traffic. Do I need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif ?

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif