Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ran the yellow light

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tecton, Feb 24, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i got a ticket for this...

im sittin in an intersection, and the light turns yellow JUST after i entered the intersection...well to avoid hitting the fellow infront of me i have to slow down. and the light turns red before i am 100% clear of the intersection.

should i contest the ticket or just pay up sucka

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You shouldn't enter an intersection unless it's completely clear...I'll guess there was slow backed up traffic and not a smooth flowing progression...? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

how much is the ticket and is that amount less than what it would cost you to go to court (ie taking off work, gas, time)? If you go court and loose you still have to pay the ticket.
    Why where vehicles backing up in the intersection? Around here, I would fight it, they just put in light sensors to change the lights when people are waiting... now when you get on the main road town none of the lights are timed so people usually end up sitting in the intersection... you could probley argue something to that extent.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If it won't cost you anything to go to court(time off of work/school, etc) I say go for it. There's probably a good chance that the cop wont even show up...

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Here in Austin, officers are paid a guaranteed 3 hours at 1 1/2 times their pay rate. This ensures they show up in court. If its only for 20 minutes, they still get the 3 hours.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

yeah
    alot of times whole lanes are blocked cause the lights are so close together and the traffic is so backed up

its a 97$ fine

i think ill just pay it

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

What was the actual charge on the ticket. You are not allowed to block an intersection. If that is what the ticket is for then you're screwed. If it was for running a red light you could fight it because you didn't run a red light. If the rear end of your vehicle passes over the line before it turns red you're OK. But again, blocking an intersection is illegal even if it's not posted or painted on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, sh!t.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Plead Nolo Contesto (No Contest) and get it over with... becasue you did break the law

That or you can call the Department, find out when the officer is going on vacation and schedule the court date when he if off /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Try it, its a long shot, but it works...

By the way I am a Criminal Justice major so I have knowledge about these things /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I agree with you on this one landsmasher, but bullet, if you call the PD they won't tell you when one of their employees is going on vacation. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

They might...remember there's a sucker born every minute... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Since he is a CJ major he should know that giving information to the public like that would be a direct violation of worker confidentiality.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, like Bullet said, its a long shot. But what if said officer pisses off the dude that answers the phone or the guy that handles the schedule...worker confidentiality? What worker confidentiality? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Plead Nolo Contesto (No Contest) and get it over with... becasue you did break the law...

By the way I am a Criminal Justice major so I have knowledge about these things /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's funny, since the phrase is actually Nolo Contendre and it means you neither admit nor deny guilt, but you accept the punishment for the crime as though you are guilty. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Is there no justice? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I do realize that its a violation of work privacy, and I doubt it would happened, like I said; its a long shot. I was just given this advice by a Law Professor

17. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just given this advice by a Law Professor

[/ QUOTE ]

That was your first mistake...... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was just given this advice by a Law Professor

[/ QUOTE ]

That was your first mistake...... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You shouldn't enter an intersection unless it's completely clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

ever been to chicago? that is the only way one can actually turn left at any of the intersections during day time, you don't reserve a spot in the middle of it during green, then you don't get to go till sunset (or whenever treffic lightens up enough or till someone plows you along). people would think you're broken down and go around you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif .
    that can't be a local law? are we talking about the same thing?