Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rancho 2 1/2" PreRunner Spring Lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CheyenneKid, Aug 5, 2005.

1. CheyenneKid

CheyenneKid Registered Member

I just bought a used prerunner spring kit on eBay, 4 springs, for my FI '79. Anyone know anyhting about these springs? They look like they may be supple.

~$130 shipped. Got a deal if these are good springs.

Any help appreciated. :haha:

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I remember reading them part numbers in a Rancho catalog years and years ago. They have very soft spring rates. I'm out of town on vacation right now and can check my catalog for more info when I get back home Sunday.

3. CheyenneKid

cool, just got in myself, let me know! Tx

Phil

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a set in my backyard waiting to go under my truck. They are just about the only good spring that rancho makes. They are mil. wrapped and have many thin leaves. They should flex well and last a while...but I don't think they will give a K5 much lift (p/u's have less weight in the bed). If they ride at the same height as my stockers or a bit higher I'll be happy.

5. thatK30guy

Oops! Sorry for the late, late reply, but here goes, according to my older Rancho catalogs:

Rancho made 6 different leaf springs for the '73-'87 trucks and up to '91 Blazers and Subs. Some are still made and some not.

1. #86201 (.75-1.5 inch lift), spring rate is 340, 3 leafs per spring.

2. #86202 (2.5 inch lift), spring rate is 450, 5 leafs per spring. (Very popular 2.5" springs)

3. #86206 (4 inch lift), spring rate is 520, 5 leafs per spring. (Very popular 4" springs)

4. #86207 (6 inch lift), spring rate is 680, 9 leafs per spring. (No longer made)

5. #86210 (2.5 inch lift), spring rate is 348, 9 leafs per spring. (Pre-runner springs)

6. #40054S (4 inch lift), spring rate is 672, 5 leafs per spring. (Popular stiff 4" springs)

There you have the Rancho '73-'91 springs. Yours would be the #86210's. Does yours have 9 leaves in the pack?

Rancho also made 2 rear springs. Their info is:

1. #86209 (4 inch lift), spring rate is 287, 6 leafs per spring.

2. #86211 (2.5 inch lift), spring rate is 230, 6 leafs per spring.

These are the Rancho rear springs only available in 52" spring-eye-to-eye.

6. CheyenneKid

Yup, they're the 9 leaf pack!

Also, the 2.5 inch rears.

A scubbing with the grinder flap wheel, a leaf rouding on the contact surfaces , some extend rust converter, rustoleum gloss back, new bolts and centerpin, and some stainless spring pack bushings, and I'll be off to the races!

That's OK, THANKS! for the info. Interesting that the 2.5 springs for the rear, the ones that i have, have such a low spring rate. I only want to run 33's, or at the very most, 35's on this truck and i don't need oodles of lift. I had planned on running the 52" front conversion until I run across these on the eBay for $50 and $80 picked up and shipped door to door! This also eliminates the hassle of a shackle flip I had planned in the rear. Ill post to le t you know ho w I like them.

Another ques, which shocks? I had planned on running the stiffest shocks that i could find, these springs are sooooo flexy. I bought the truck with dual shocks in front backing up the heavy-duty front stock springs, took them out, but may reinstate them. You'll know when i know.

THANKS, guys!

7. thatK30guy

Get some Rancho RS9000 series shocks. They are adjustable and you can tune them to your specs.

8. thatK30guy

BTW, I'd like to see some pics of these springs you have. I've never seen a set of Rancho springs with 9 leafs except for the 6" springs I've got. Yeah, I got some 6" Rancho 9 leafs per springs on eBay, too. These are damn heavy and a lot stiffer according to the rate.

9. CheyenneKid

I'm new to this posting stuff, will try to include a photo with this post from the eBay auction...[​IMG]

maybe that did it...

10. thatK30guy

Didn't work. Go back to the actual eBay auction and click on the address bar. Copy and paste that and drag it over here and repost again.

11. CheyenneKid

12. thatK30guy

Thats better! :waytogo:

Very cool. I'm surprised I missed this. I'm always watching for Rancho stuff on eBay. I try to collect the older rarer stuff.

13. CheyenneKid

14. CheyenneKid

dude, if you check it out, I was THE ONLY BIDDER! He wanted local pick up only, I had planned to drive down to Philly to pick them up, I'm ~200 mis away in Schenectady, NY, but I called UPS and they picked them up right at his house! A neat way around local pickup on auctions.

Somebody's going to pick it up!

CK

15. thatK30guy

You got a screaming deal there. I think I won my 6" front springs for something like $50 but had to pay like $45 apiece to get them shipped to me. :tongue1: