Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rancho 5012s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rooferbret, Feb 8, 2004.

1. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

Good Sunday to you all. I bought a used 4" lift w\shocks and got rancho 5012s. Man they are way to long for the back /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Then after reading about the f250 front shock mounts I thought I wonder if they would work on the front? Anyone used this setup? Thanks,Bret.

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I ran 9012's in the front for a long time.
    [​IMG]
    Marv

3. rooferbret

WOW! How much lift?

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

5. rooferbret

Thanks for the info and the pic /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Looks like the way im going. Any other info would be great.
    Thanks again, Bret.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I had RS5012's on the front of my K-5 befor I went to RS9000's. That was with a 4" lift....

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running 5012s front and rear. The fronts are like Marv’s (Steve has a write up on this site too). Most add a cross member and angle the shocks in to the center at the top. But this dramatically reduces the shocks ability to control sway in the rear. Not only is the rate reduced, but where they come together works like a hinge letting the body roll (to some extent) without the shocks getting involved (over simplified, but you should get the point). Also, any time you mount the shocks at an angle, especially when they are tilted in line with the axle movement, you effectively lengthen the shock’s travel. The rears on mine are different than most others I've seen. They are angled forward along the frame. This angle reduces the rate, and effectively lengthens the shock quite a bit, but it still provides more control than tipped to the center.

8. rooferbret

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifI did not make the connection that 9012s and 5012s are the same except for adjustability. Thanks for going easy on a new guy and the help. Bret.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No sweat. BTW, they are roughly the same in travel and dimensions, but the similarity ends there. Also, 9012s work turned either way, but the 5012s should have the cylinder down to help reduce aeration problems.

Edit: BTW, that "12" in the number is the nominal travel (they are actually right around 13 but you don't want to hit the ends). The OEM replacements have a different number scheme.