Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rancho shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 2, 2000.

Does anyone have any experience with the RSX’s?

I was planning on installing some Rancho 5000’s to replace my 100k+ mile stockers, but with the sale going on (buy 3, get the 4th free) I’m thinking of getting either the RSX’s or the 9000. I’m looking for advice.

Honestly, I’m the most worried about the ride on the street. I don’t think that it could get to harsh (I own 2 cars that are setup for road racing, my blazer has the cushiest ride of any vehicle I’ve ever owned), and the biggest reason that I’m looking for new shocks is that the current ones are making the ride pretty scary in turns and bumps. Off road the truck literally bounces when I get even close to seeing air. The thing sees mud probably about 2x a week (just enough to keep it covered and the wife pissed off ;-), the rest of the time it deals with daily driver duties, towing and traffic. So I’m looking for something that will really tighten things up on the road and be acceptable off road (as far as I can tell, stiffer shocks are better off road also, right?).

1. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

i have rancho 5000's and so far no problems. I bought when they were buy 4 and get 5th free for the steering stabalizer. they are a little stiff but not bad.

fix'n finally

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I run Rancho 5000s all around and my steering stabilizer also, I really like the way they handle on and off-road, alot of people disagree with me, they like the 9000s better they are self adjustable I was thinking of getting the 9000s when I bought my 5000s but it was more of a money issue, at the time I only had enough money to buy the 5000s so I really wouldn't know how the 9000s feel, anyway I'm happy with my 5000s as far as being too stiff of a ride hey it's a K5 not a caddi right??? good luck.

keep blazin !!!

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

my best friend has 9000's on his 79 gmc pickup. 8 inch lift with 35's. the 9000's are awesome. totally adjustable from the softest of the soft, toback-breaking stiff. ok, maybe i exaggerate a little, but they really are cool.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run the 9000 and it is nice to beable to change the stiffness to match the terain your on! Like the sand dunes or river bed mud bogg or just trail riding all of thease and adjustable shocks too, well too much fun!!!!!
    I would recomend the 9000 to anyone that uses their rig in various terrain!! [​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I got RS 5000 all the way around my truck. They aint that bad, but they do ride a bit stiff. Speed bumps piss me off. I'm gonna be getting the RS 9000s with the buy 3 get on free deal. Can't beat that. I heard many good things about them shocks, especially from this board.
    Boss

6. mpikas

mpikas Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Has anybody had any experience with the RSX shocks? I know that the 9000's are great, but the RSX's are a bit cheaper and seem like they are designed for exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm really curious if the work as advertised or if I should just pony up for the 9000's.

BTW: how long to Rancho shocks tend to last?

7. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I too have the 9000s for my blazer. Had them for 4+ years, still going strong. These things really help on and off road. I have the Edelbrocks on my Dodge that are simular to the RSXs. They do not compare to the 9000s off road. If the Dodge was mine (wifes!) and it did not have to pull a 5th wheel, I'd have 9000s on it too. Pony up and spend the $s one time.

My humble opinion....

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I have RS5's all around my truck. THEY SUCK! as soon as I get my new lift and shocks, you can have them. As a matter of fact, I gave a way a brandnew crap-o rs steering stblzr & bracket to my friend because of how unhappy with their crap I am.

The RS9's may be better, but because of the quality of the 5's, I'm not taking that chance.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Money isn't everything, go with 9000s if you can. If not, go RS5000s. I have never heard anything good about RSXs. My local shop guy doesn't even carry them. I can personally attest to the fact that the RS9000s with the dual in-cab controller are worth every penny you pay--and they are not that much, really. [​IMG] You can get the shocks and then save up and get the controller later, which rocks![​IMG] SPend your money wisely, grasshopper...

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

A few months ago a 4x mag, I can't remember which one did an article on RSX'S VS no shocks VS 5000 VS 9000 VS the Edelbrock VS somthing else, all in all they ended up recommending the 9000 over all.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]