Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rancho VS. Skyjacker Shocks

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by midnitlove, Aug 23, 2001.

1. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

I'm getting a 6" skyjacker lift and I already have the Rancho 9700 kit incab air control. Should I use the Skyjacker Nitro shocks with the lift or keep the 9700 kit and just get some new Rancho's?? I have two different off-road shops telling me two different things. One says keep the kit the other says use the nitros??? HELP!

<font color=red> AMIGOS SO. CAL </font color=red>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you already have the in cab controler get the Ranchos.
    BTW Skyjacker (along with many others) are made by the same people that make Ranchos

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

A friend has Skyjacker Soft-Ride springs (4"/6") and Rancho RS9000s and the shocks were too soft for his liking, even when set to full stiff (the vehicle pitched and was pretty uncontrollable). When we put a front anti-sway bar on the truck, it helped a lot, but it's still too soft. He's going with a dual shock setup on the front and is probably going to go with the Invader N-7 shocks in the rear.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got Skyjacker softride 8"rear 6"front springs, with Rancho RS9000 shocks of the appropriate length, and I like em!
    Can't complain, I put the RS9000's at 3 or 5 and they're good for the street.
    But then again i've never tried a stiffer shock.
    I can somewhat relate to "(the vehicle pitched and was pretty uncontrollable)" it is a challange to drive, like when it hits a big pothole, or tracks on eneven freeways. But it's controllable.
    That's probally due to not running a sway bar in the front or rear with a 6"/8" lift. And some increased bumpsteer.
    Dual rancho's are probally a good idea if you want a stiffer ride.

5. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

I don't mind the soft ride. I really don't drive it everyday and when I do it's not too far. But what about for offroad. Will the softness limit some offroading or will it be too soft for haulin' ash. Not too much rock climbing but alot of desert.

<font color=red> AMIGOS SO. CAL </font color=red>

6. bitchin4x4

bitchin4x4 1/2 ton status

I have the Superlift 8" springs and rs9000 shocks and I can't set my shocks past 4 or my brain bounces around against my skull and feels a little tender from hard the ride is!!!

If it ain't broke, break it!

7. CraigG

CraigG Registered Member

(nonK5 post, sorry)
    Sean,
    I hit your site and noticed your Tacoma. I too have a Tacoma and have been looking into the SAS. Do you regret it at all? I'm just so scared about chopping off my IFS stuff.

8. bitchin4x4

Craig,

Actually I am gathering notes for my buddies Tacoma, we are looking into doing the conversion this winter. The actual notes are from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremegearoffroad.com>http://www.extremegearoffroad.com</a>

We are in the same boat! ;-) Chopping it off that is! (God, if I didn't know any better it would sound like we are going through a circumcision or something! ;-) ha ha! lol.

9. CraigG

CraigG Registered Member

Well let me know how it goes and if you need help at all. I've been researching this a lot lately. I want to make my Taco my primary trail rig and the Blazer a road and mud rig. The K5 is just too wide for a lot of Washington trails.

Craig G

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

"Wider is better"...sorry I just had to say it. One of my friends just put her tocoma on its side when we were wheel'n over the weekend (on a section that I had no probs when I went over it before).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

11. bitchin4x4

:-) ha ha!

I have to agree, wider is better!