Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Randmcnally.com Questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Mar 20, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Trying to pin point the exact route were taking to Tellico- and I'm stuck....

I have 2 choices- hop on 84 in Hartford- through PA to 81- then down 81- which at some point I guess goes to 70 (something)--

go down 91- 95 through NYC then in DC take 66 over to 81- and then the same route as listed above.

Here's my question- Rand McNally has it set up for like 57MPH- thats how they get there time needed.

If I remember correctly- we left here at 1pm and were in Wilkes Barre, PA at 530- then in Carlisle around 9.(we stopped in wilkes barre for supper)- this was the 84-81 route....BUT then coming home from Florida- we came up 95 all the way- and it seemed quicker.

We will be getting through Hartford about midnight- so I'm not worried about NYC of possibly even DC- since I'm thinking its about 5 hours to DC from Hartford- which would put us there before rush hour.

Either way- I'm going to have to go on 66 to get over to 81. in DC.

How close is RandMcnally with its directions...Im thinking if they say 17 hours at 57-58 mph- it shouldnt take me more than 14 hours driving.......which would put me in Tellico about 530 or so Thursday night...(stopping along the way etc...)

which way would those of you that live over here, and know NYC and DC go- bypass it all together- or just hope I get through without much construction or traffic?

thankx
    Brandy

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I can't speak for the route, but I've been surprised at how close some of the times posted are to the actual time. They account for going through towns, on and off ramps, etc. It comes in pretty close when you stop for gas, or at a fast food joint on a long trip. I find that the RandMcnally.com or mapquest.com driving time is closer to my whole trip time for longer trips, since I'm rarely right at the speed limit.

On shorter distances where you don't stop at all, you can make it a little quicker if you use more of the skinny pedal.

For really long trips, someone told me total mileage divided by 50 mph gives a good estimate for total travel time, not just driving time and on a couple long trips I came really close - except for the time I lived on caffeine, gatorade and beef jerky out of gas stations for two days, but I wouldn't recommend that

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not much to contribute, but wondering, why will you pass through NYC or DC? Both of those seem out of the way to me... I haven't travelled past Jersey in a long time, though, so I'm proly missing something...

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

If I come down 95- well- its not THROUGH NYC- but I'll be going over the GW Bridge, and then in DC- I'll take 495- the outter loop.....basically the outter loop can be just as bad as down town at times...I've sat on 495 for 2 hours before during rush hour...

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you can go 81 do it. The beltway has been terrible as of late. Even worse than normal. D.C. sucks for traffic. I wouldnt recommend driving on the Beltway to my worst enemy.

Just my thoughts,
    John