Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

random check engine and stall

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Nov 25, 2003.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 california-emissions (yeah!) equipped K-5 with the L-code 350 and 700R4. Lately my truck has been acting up. Every once in a while, while I am driving, the check engine light blinks and the motor seems to cut out for a second. Then it goes back to normal. Anyone know what this may be? (crossfire in the ignition?????, distributor going bad????)

Also, with the check engine light not staying on, does it still keep the code in the computer? I plan to buy a code reader but would like to know your opinions on what my problem might be.

Thanks.

2. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

You dont actually need a code reader to get codes out of this era rig. You just need to connect 2 of the ODB/ALDL terminals (not sure which ones off the top of my head), located under the dash, and and then turn the ignition on and any stored codes will be displayed to you with metered flashes of the check engine light.

If you have a manual, there should be instructions on how to do this. I know that in my CRAPPY Haynes manual, they at least included this. I made a 'code reader' by bending a peice of copper wire into a 'U' shape about the size of a chapstick tube. I keep it in the ashtray for whenever I need to pull codes.

Im sure this has already been covered here on CK5, but I dont wanna sift through all the search results. Here's a google hit that should help you enough to pull codes:

http://www.techweasel.com/articles/troublecode/GM.htm

Your condition sounds like it could be a faulty distributor module - that's the error code that I got off mine when I had a similar dying condition shortly after I bought my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif in May 2002.

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Is this true even though I hvae a carburated blazer? I know they switched to TBI in 87, and that my 86 is a "transition year"....

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If your carb has two wire plugs (not including choke) then yes you will have an ALDL connector. It should be located on the drivers side of the dash, just behind the bottom "lip" of the sheetmetal, kind of "below" the headlight switch.

Your year isn't a transition year (the CCC system was used starting in 1981 on all GM cars), it's more than likely just a CA emissions truck.

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

SO I checked codes and onyl got a Code 12.....

Anyone have a clue what this might cause my problem, since the OBD doesn't say anything?

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

uhh...so ur saying that some 86 trucks you can pull codes from and some u cant...i dont believe my truck (86) has such a thing on it...however my 87 s-10 tbi does of course..