Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Random post - election thoughts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Nov 9, 2006.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

So, I open up this mornings paper ( lefty fish wrapper, but the only paper in town), and I see the following headlines:

" Rumsfeld gone, now what?"

"what's the dems plan for Iraq"?

" what will the democrats do for the economy"?

And from the lib - penned editorials:

Democrats need to think of something, because they still don't have a plan"

and my favorite:

"our newspaper endorsed a democrat slate, knowing they didn't have a plan"

I mean, damn... talk about crossing your fingers, closing your eyes, and hoping for the best..

I don't think I've ever seen an election where one party swept congress by standing for absolutely nothing..

Tom

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Couple of thoughts,
    They only have the senate by 1 seat. There's a lot of middle people there that go either way, 1 seat isn't 'really' control. The house yes, they control.

Dem's were on the news this morning, "I'd plan to start the year off with lots of Hearings to investigate what went wrong in the past few years"

Great....hearings...yeah...that's what we need.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Yup.. saw that coming.. I also had this thought process yesterday.. I said to myself " damn, the dems control congress now".. then I thought " ok, how is that different from since bush got elected"? .. the prez and congressional republicans have given the dems everything they want from day one, so maybe the GOP needed a good ass kicking, who knows.

Tom

4. 73k5blazer

It could be a good thing, perhaps more will get done,perhaps less. Time will tell. Hearings aren't going to help anybody though. Waste time& money and avoid doing any real work, that's what the hearings will accomplish.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think it is a good thing the Republicans got their clock cleaned. Since 2004 when they were handed a large majority in both houses those lame brains have been trying to out Democrat the Democrats. They did nothing but argue among them selves. They let corruption and decay invade their ranks. They took their power for granted and did nothing.
    We should have a strong immigration policy in place. We should have tax cuts made permanet. We should have medical saving accounts and private Social Security.
    We got nothing out of them for 2 years. So Bye Bye suckers:haha: You got exactly what you deserved.

Do I think the Dems will do any better? NO! Things will be worse. They will try to get even with the Republicans for impeaching Clinton. The most liberal people in government will control the house and senate. Both houses will become a total mess. With countless investigations and impeachment procedings.
    My state senator (NV) Harry Reed, who is a total fool, will be the Senate majority leader. Nancy Pelosi who represents San Francisco Ca will become Speaker of the House. Both are way out there in left feild. They will bring their hateful liberal agenda to light. Under their leadership it is doubtful if anything will get done.
    Americans are sick of that crap. Hopfully in 2008 Voters will throw the whole lot of them out and start over. Its time to clean house in Washington.

If the Republicans want to have a chance of surviving the 08 elections they better come back over to the right side and embrace their conservative base. Without us they are lost.

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that one seat is from VA right?

7. 73k5blazer

Yeah, well, at least that's what all the media outlets are predicting. I don't think the Republican there has conceded yet, but the Dem is ahead by 7000 votes or so.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's a pretty hard thing to accomplish:haha:

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here is my thought on politics. No one is willing to try anything really revolutionary. I think most politicians are so worried about losing their jobs that they pussyfoot around nearly everything. Hence nothing ever gets done. I think this applies to both dems and republicans.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

For the most part the newly elected Dems are not super libs. Unfortunately most will vote with the leadership witch is a bunch of left over hippies. As soon as they get to Washington they will start thinking about reelection & tow the party line. I would like to see term limits across the board. Maybe then we could get some real conservatives into office.

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hey Thunder.. I agree with you 100%.. except for one thing.. we do have medical savings accounts now.. they did do that for us.. I got one for my wife last year, and her premiums got cut in half. ( we're both self employed with seperate businesses, so we make out better tax wise with her own policy) you can get them individually, or a company can get them for their employees..

Tom

12. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

we're screwed....esp if a dem president gets elected in 08

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

What does that tell you. Why do you think Republican leaders were voted out?

My opinion:

Democratic leaders were out of touch and corrupted in 2000, they lost it all.

Republican leaders were out of touch and corrupted in 2006, they lost it all.

Each side was dumbfounded as to why. When you refuse to acknowledge the lies everyone else can see don't expect to hold your leadership role for long.

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

yeah, I can see where corruption ( both real and imagined ) would play a part..

I think there were a few factors at play in the republican crash and burn tuesday.. one, the republican base has been PO'd for a long time at how the repubs campaign like conservatives, then govern like libs, so they either stayed home or the base voted for the conservative - sounding democrat.

the other reason they lost is the media did a good job making sure everyone knows how much W was responsible for every bad thing in the world, so the folks who only halfway follow politics of course voted for "change"..

What the hell do people want change from? low interest rates? 4% unemployment? low taxes? Not sure how the dems will improve on that, and they sure don't have a plan for iraq, so who knows..

truthfully, I blame the loss on the republican leadership.. bush has consistently thrown conservative principles under the bus in order to make nice with democrats, and he has let the media and the libs define every policy decision from day one, so I guess they reap what they sow.

Tom