Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Random rookie questions:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jun 6, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

As I continue to learn and realize how little I know I have come up with a few questions.

1) When someone says something like "I have a 260 cam", where do they get the 260 from? ie. Which number in the cam specs does that represent?

2) It seems that smaller intake runners on a head produce more TQ and larger produce more HP. Is this correct?

3) What does "CNC" mean?

4) Will a TBI unit produce as much power as a carb. of approximately the same size? Say a 730 CFM TBI vs. a 750 CFM carb.???

I'm sure there will be more to come. Thanks for the help.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

CNC is Computerized Numerical Control.

I dont know any of your other answers

Ira

3. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

3. CNC = Computer Numerically Controlled.

This is in reference to the machine that makes the part. For instance if someone has a bracket that is CNC machined then it was created in a CAD/CAM program like SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or MasterCAM and then a CNC milling machine was used to make the part. CNC can also apply to a Torch or Plasma (Burn) Table where the X and Y movements of the torch is controlled by a computer program. So parts that are CNC cut can be hand welded together.

4. TBI can most definatly create as much power as a carb and at a higher rate of efficiency. Keeping it as simple as I can, that way even I can understand it. A carb uses suction and linkage controlled valve to put fuel in the engine. Where as TBI uses a computer controlled valve to inject the fuel into the engine. The computer can adjust for elevation, barametric pressure, humidity, engine temp, fuel quality, etc etc etc and constantly adjust the fuel mixture to get you the best efficiency vs power possible. And... When you go to start the vehicle in the morning there is no setting the choke with a peddle push and you can have one of those fancy remote start fobs on your keyring. Then you will be one of the cool kids.