Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Random thoughts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok so I have a front detroit going in my 60. I only run 2" of lift so crossover isn't going in yet. I also have 35 spline outers going in so i have to decide on hubs or flanges. I prefer flanges for the simplicity and durability but the hubs let me unlock for tight turns. But if I twin stick the 205 I could run flanges and just pull it into 2wd and turn right? I wish I was ready to do the lift, crossover and hydro assist all right now because then the choice would be easy. Anyone feel like making the decision for me? :D

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You could turn, but it will still be hard. The locker is still gonna make the front tires turn at the same speed, regardless if your driving only the front axle or not. I'd go with selectable hubs, but that's just me.

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh I was actually thinking of pulling it into rear wheel drive. the twin stick part was just so I could keep it in low range. The 35 spline hubs are also weaker than the 30 spline version. I have a 500 going into this truck so I hate to leave any weak links.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run a Lock-right (exact same operating characteristics as a Detroit) and have run both locking hubs and flanges. Previously to the front locker I ran a limited slip front diff and noticed very little difference in on-trail turning. Honestly I have never felt the need to unlock one hub to help with turning with the front locker, and none of the numerous guys I run with that have full-time front lockers every run with just one hub locked. I've seen a few guys with spools or welded fronts try the one-hub-locked thing and it seemed like a pain in the ass for both them and the guy waiting in line behind them (kinda' funny when they get sideways and stuck when not expecting it and have to get out in the mud or on a hill to lock the hub). I've also played around with slipping it into 2wd when making sharp multi-point turns, and honestly in most situations don't notice any huge difference. Occassionally there is a situation where I can lock the front brakes (line-lock) and spin the rear tires around, but other than that I don't bother.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, torque input on the pinion is what causes the locker to "lock". Going rwd makes the front "open up" and turn easily. It's also possilbe to persuade it by modulating on and off the trottle in blips to get it to sorta skip a tooth, but that can cause other problems in the wrong place.

I run 35 spline flanges and like it very well. Even when I had lock-outs I rarely used them like that. Really, my usage has not changed except I'm no longer as afraid of bind, of course then other things start breaking...

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies, flanges it is!