Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Range report: Beat up SKS vs. Paper

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Paper loses.

I shot this 20 round group with a warm barrel at 50 yards. I really need to get a front sight tool for this rifle. Using the proper sight picture, it shot about 10" high at 50 yards (this was using the "battle" mark on the rear sight). So instead of my sight picture looking like --\|/-- it was more like --\./-- Having a dimly lit indoor range and black sights didn't help much. Once I get my sight tool in, and make the sights a little more visible, the group size should come down some.

Nevertheless, the grouping is pretty impressive considering how far off the sights were, how hard they were to see, and the condition of the barrel.

Oh yeah, this was shot with the real cheap Wolf-brand ammunition.

resize.jpg

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Stevie Wonder could do better!!!

:haha: :haha: :haha:

J/K

3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

groups like that are why I traded my SKS.

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

You know you can probably adjust your front sight peg with a pair of needle nose?

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm not expecting pinpoint accuracy from this thing, just something shootable and functional.

6. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, not trying to dis your gun. I liked the heck out of mine while I had it.

I've still got one of them in the safe that belonged to my brother in law. You can't beat them for cheap ammo and the fun factor. I carried mine in my truck, because I figured anything I needed to shoot with it would be close and thin skinned:D. And if someone stole it, what the hell, I wasn't out a whole lot.

I got irritated with it because I missed a coyote, then a hog with it. I tried a few different things to get mine to shoot right before I traded it. Different ammo, even intalled a Williams fire sight with the rear aperature (I've got bad eyes). Never got it to shoot better than what you've got there.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I purchased this rifle becuase I wanted a mil-surp rifle. The SKS and the Mosin-Nagant is the cheapest introduction you can get into mil-surp's. My expectations really aren't too high for accuracy, but like you said... cheap firearm, cheap ammo, high fun factor :)

It's just a shame the indoor range I went to today has a "no rapid fire" rule. Its perfectly understandable, but I'd love to take this outdoors and let it rip :D

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Not discounting the fun factor, BUT that "group" sucks. More like a gaggle than a group. I have shot ALOT tighter groups at 300 yds, with M16 open sights, 10 rounds in 60 seconds.

The bright side, is they are not scattered all over the target. I would say that you are doing your part, anyhow.:bow:

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Show me one person that thinks an SKS is a tackdriver, and I've got a bridge for sale ;)

I got the sights adjusted and got some slightly better groupings. At least all the holes touched each other (with the exception of a few flyers). I think that it's about as good as it gets.

If I want some real practical use out of my SKS, I'll have to put a bayonet on it... or a handgrip on the muzzle so I can club someone to death with it :D

10. 3 on the tree

Holes touching is much better!:bow: I'm sorry, but I expect ANY rifle to group tighter than that at 50 yards. Never had an SK/AK, don't see any use for them, other than burning up a bunch of ammo. I used to have a M2 Carbine that I really liked, but a burglar liked it more.:mad:

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Glad you didn't give me the skinny on my .303 grouping. :haha:

12. 3 on the tree

Hey Buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were shooting at closer to 200 yards. Next time, if you want, we get closer.:bow: :bow:

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Next time I want to test the 600 yd sight. :D

14. 3 on the tree

Hell James. You couldn't SEE a neon orange elephant at 600 yards.:doah:

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Here's the target with my almost respectable group from the SKS ;)

resize2.jpg

16. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

If only I could take a picture of the rifling in the barrel on this SKS. You'd be amazed that it even hits paper.

One of the things the rifle has going for it, is the rifling isn't really "lands and grooves" type where the rifling is recessed into the bore. In this care, the rifling extends inward, so despite all the pitting, the bullet suprisingly still spins.

17. 3 on the tree

200 yards is probably the BZO for that weapon. Might be why it shoots high at 50? I didn't think to ask, are these groups shot from a bench rest?????

18. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Shot from a loose bipod on the bayonet lug.

The rear sight is adjustable from 100 to 1000 meters. Below 100 meters is another 'battle' mark. It physically lowers the rear sight (which would make it shoot lower). That's the setting I've been using. Even at that setting it was shooting high at 100 yards.

So, then I decided to leave the rear sight at that setting and try to work the front sight post to adjust for elevation to try to get it reasonably accurate at 50 yards. With my eyesight I can't even see the target circle at 100 yards, so 50 was it.

19. 3 on the tree

Another thing to consider.....................
    I don't think that the SK and AK originally zeroed with the same weight bullet. Get hold of some of the heavier weight ammo, and try that. I bet you are using the 122 or 139 grain ammo from Wolf. They also make 154 grain rounds.

I zeroed my 1917
    Enfield in with 150 grain ammo. The heavier stuff prints quite a bit lower. Next rounds will be Garand spec ammo. Its a little hotter than standard 06 ammo cause of the gas operation of the Garand.:D

20. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wow... I feel stupid. Below the 100 meter line is the 300 meter battle zero

That would explain why it was shooting so high. So, I get to play with my front sight some more.