Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ranger overdrive and a SM465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Jun 21, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

anyone have this setup in their blazer and did you have any driveline problems with a rear driveshaft that is 7 inches shorter than stock .. is a hi angle driveshaft needed with the shorter driveshaft and a 4 inch lift???
    thanks
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I had a ranger box in a toyota land cruiser. It worked great. Soory this is no help to you. You could probably get a driveshaft built with a cv in it and have no problems.

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

how about some more info on how the ranger works/drives. i've been thinking about it for awhile but i wonder how much work it is to drive or shift. do you only use it as an overdrive or do split gears on up hill runs???? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. camiswelding

I had a junker 75 lwb with a cummins in it that had a ranger in it... the diesel was underpowered and needed every split... my blazer needs the overdrive only... so I might look at a New venture 4500 5 speed that already has od in it... but the ranger was cool to split shift on hills to maximize the rpm range... but it was also a lot of shifting
    www.advanceadapters.com
    follow the link to the ranger
    cam

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Been covered a few times, but I think many of us would be outside of any sort of engine power with OD in our trucks. Didn't see any gearing specs in your case, but the OD isn't that efficient in the 4500 (it's better than nothing of course) and the gear splits are just as bad as the 465, you just have one more.

Besides the power range, the 4500 swap is just plain expensive. Not that something like a Gear Vendors isn't of course.

Numerically lower rear axle gears or bigger tires are a good fix if applicable to what you need the truck to do. The 6.55:1 first lets you get away with large tires and numerically low ratios pretty good, even off road.

6. camiswelding

specs on my blazer are
    4.56 gears 60/14 bolt
    350/383 stumppuller motor (likes premium but will tolerate regular)
    33 inch skinny tires LT285r x 16, 3300 lbs load rated (I went thru the 40 inch phase 20 years ago and now I like what really works , for me, and doesnt break things)
    Rancho 4 inch lift with a bunch of ORD stuff in it now
    SM465/model 205
    need overdrive and the ranger and the nv4500 are pretty close in price if I can find the deal...
    decisions decisions
    cam

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah thats a "lot" of gear for that size tire, at least for cruising on the freeway. OD or re-gear is about all you can do.