Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rant About This Week...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Jul 2, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This post is going to be one long bitchfest, so if you don't like that, don't read it....

1. My dad: My dad has been a complete prick to me for the last month, I work 55-60 hours a week, bust my ass around the house, THEN I work on my vehicles and see my friends. I don't know what his problem is but he's been downright mean for the last two weeks. I want to take my sister's car on a roadtrip and he had the nerve to suggest that the family charge me for the mileage...I'm already paying for the gas and an oil change...he wants the family to charge me for the wear and tear...this is after I took on an extra job to pay my own bills. I need his '04 PSD to tow my rig and I've spent a few hours putting gauges and a brake controller in it, which I paid for. I came home from work this morning, he didn't acknowledge my presence after I said hi. As I was halfway in the door his only comment was "we need to talk...about a lot of things". I've been nothing but nice to that asshat for a long time even after he dishes nasty comments at me. I love the guy as he's my dad but this **** is getting old. I have a bad feeling that in this "talk" both of us are going to lose our tempers, start yelling, and nothing is going to get accomplished.

2. My Second Job: I unload freight at Target from 4a.m.-8a.m. every weekday before I go to my other job from 8:30-5 and usually get stuck working 8-12 or longer on the weekends. I bust my ass at that place and my bosses ride me like a slutty schoolgirl. I went in at 8 this morning and one of my bosses made a stupid comment about me getting enough sleep. Apparently after 10 weeks of being scheduled at 8, they scheduled me at 7 for a weekend. I said fine, I'd still work the same length shift to make up for it. Well, I got done with everything that's my job 45 minutes early...but they wouldn't let me go home...told me to go do something I've never done before and am not "certified" (big deal at Target) to do. So I went and fumbled my way through it and another boss came along and started yelling at me for doing this particular job without being certified. I told them who told me to do it and to go yell at them, she got even more mad at me and started telling me it was my fault and I lack common sense even though I told the first boss I didn't have the qualifications. I looked at my watch, realized that I worked 15 minutes past the end of my shift, and walked out in the middle of her lecture. Apparently I'm getting "written up" now for not being certified for that job but doing it anyways.

I reserve the right to add to this at any time throughout the day as I see fit.

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it's time to move out! maybe that's what the "talk" is about.

As for work ... it's Target, what do you expect? If your "bosses" were capable of doing any better, don't you think they would? To them the position of authority isn't about making their company run smoother or more productivly, it means they get to "ride you like a slutty schoolgirl". I imagine their entire working career has been under some asshat that "rode them like a slutty schoolgirl". That's all they know, THAT'S what they think being boss is all about.

Take pity in knowing if they weren't where they are now, they'd probably be unemployeed. My guess is your ambitions are a little higher than climbing the ladder at Target so you can "ride the slutty schoogirl" (I really like that expression!), but I'm sure you need the job for now. Develope a complete disrespect for your bosses and the way they treat others, it's much easier to brush off thier comments if you don't give a rats ass about them. If you can't, find something new and more on. You spend 1/3 of your life at work, it isn't worth it if your miserable. Especially when another 1/3 is spent with Dad who is "riding you like" .... well, you get the idea!

Good Luck,

Eric M.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Not that you're asking for advice, BUT..

I'd just ask your dad what you did to deserve being treated like that, and then just listen without escalating things further.

Dads usually act like that when they feel like they're unappreciated. OR, it could be something in his life sucks that you don't know about, and you are a convenient target. Maybe he's PO'd about something you didn't realize you did, and he's waiting for you to do something. ( dads are good for that one)

Better to resolve it now, and perhaps moving out is the best option. I would say just check your ego at the door when you discuss this, and try not to leave in a cloud of dust and a hail of f**k yous.. that never helps the situation.

As far as the work rant, I like the fact you walked out on the lecture from Mrs. stupid supervisor.. that's something I would have done. My first jobs were in retail, and the mindset of the people running those stores is unreal.. Half of 'em are alky's cause they're stuck in that line of work for life, and the other half think they're curing cancer or something, and they treat their stores and departments like little kingdoms..

Jobs like that will make you hate people, that's for sure.

I worked for Krogers when I was in high school, and TOPS supermarkets afterwards, while I went to tech school at night. It was fun staying one step ahead of the store manager who hated me.

I was the sunday manager of the produce dept, overseeing about 3 guys. One sunday, we had peaches on sale for the coming week, and my dept. manager asked me to let the peach table sell all the way down, as they were going to move the table and build a new display the next morning.. anyway, Mr. store manager saw the table getting empty, and asked me to stock it with more.. I explained what my department mgr. wanted, and the store manger said he didn't care what I was told, he wanted more peaches pronto..

I finished up what I was doing, and when I walked to my back room, I see there's a kid from the grocery dept. in my cooler, loading peaches on a cart. The manager had coerced this kid to "help me", and I blew up.. I told him to get lost, and I proceeded to LOAD that peach table myself.. The store manager was happy that he got his way, and I was fuming at the same time..

When monday morning came around, my dept. manager came in, and flipped.. I told him what happened, and who ordered me to go against his instructions.. My manager walked into the big guys office and told him never to even talk to me again, and that I knew what I was doing, and that he had no business bothering me. Their whole plan got screwed up that day, because of him. Sometimes, giving 'em what they want is the best way to screw 'em.

Even better was the day I quit.. the big manager shook my hand, and I said " don't think it hasn't been fun.. because it hasn't".. then I said " you treated me like an ass**** the whole time I was here, and now you're gonna hear about it".. the dude ran away into his office, locking the door, saying I was banned from the store.. They still tell that story to the new hires, cause I did it out in the middle of the floor on a saturday, with tons of people around.

Ah, retail.

Tom

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know how that schoolgirl feels....

I too was ridden at all the retail store jobs I worked at!..seems the only qualification to be a "manager" at those places is to be a class A peckkahead!.. :haha: ..I've quit more than one job because of unreasonable treatment..the last "real" job I had I quit after my best friend died rather suddenly after a heart valve operation,at age 36--and my female "boss" said since he was not a family member or relative,I was not allowed time off to attend his funeral or grieve!--she said "if you want to take the time off,go ahead",after a heated discussion in front of everyone else--then added "but dont expect your job to be here when you come back"...well, it was all I could do not to slap the bi**,and I told her"well,then I WONT be back!"--and flipped her the bird and walked out!.. :haha:

That was nearly 11 years ago...have not worked for anyone but myself since-I built a garage at my parents house,and started fixing lawnmowers and cars,etc---but a series of events that unfolded after I quit has left me nearly broke,and in a tough spot--first my dad got Parkinsons disease,and became bedridden for 10 years..my eldery mother sold off the land my dad wanted me to have,after he died 5 years ago,and now she is ill with emphasema,and after all the battles I've had with her over the way my dad was treated while he was sick and how she squandered all his money on lottery tickets and foolish purchases,it wont suprise me if I get zilch when she passes on...my younger gay brother will likely get most if not all,despite my staying at home to help her and my dad all those years..I'm hoping it wont come to pass this way,but I'm doubtful.... :(

So maybe I should have had a tougher skin,and kept on working...but I would not have had the chance to do all the fun things I have done in the past 11 years if I had...you only live once--I see no need to live it miserable!--If I have to, I will get another job somewhere--but if I get "ridden"--I will quit and keep looking!...Life is too short to let other jerks ruin it for you!...

I dont have any advice--since I'm an unemployed 47 year old "loser" in many ways,I dont feel qualified to give any!--but I will say this--your dad is your best friend,whether you think so or not!(there are always exceptions though)--try talking things out and see whats bothering him--it could be HE is getting "ridden" at work too,and your the closest one he can take it out on--

As for work...I know its hard,but just keep looking for a better place to work--places like Wal-Mart and Target never have been noted for good working conditions,most retail jobs are slave labor with little or no benifits,and 8 hours of personality conflicts every day..great if you like stomach ulcers and heart attacks... :( I wish you lots of luck..enjoy life...dont worry--be happy! :crazy:

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, the moving out thing is happening in less than two months anyways. I'm gonna be off at school and don't plan on coming home very often for a number of reasons, very few of which include not wanting to see him. I've asked him what's wrong several times but always get the "it's a long story" or "you already know the answer to that" responses. My dad has been one of my best friends for most of my life, and I don't want that to change, but if a friend that wasn't related to you treated you like this, you wouldn't want to have anything to do with them. I've tried to get him to come out with it, but until today he hadn't even alluded that he wanted to do something about it. And honestly, he couldn't have done it at a worse time, it's the weekend of the 4th, I want to party and have a good time. I'm not social when I'm pissed, and until I get this over with (which probably won't be possible until Monday or Tuesday) I'm just gonna be a total buzzkill.

As for the job, I've managed to get a supervisor near fired because I gave them what they wanted. In the mornings when we unload freight, we open a semi-trailer and start at the back, loading things onto a non-motorized conveyor and pushing it into the back room. One day we had a truck that was horribly stacked and some fabric softener broke and started flowing onto the floor of the trailer. I grabbed it, ran out, and threw it in a garbage can. It's Target policy to take everything off of the truck and run it down the line so the person at the end can "damage it out" of our inventory and report it. Well, in this case that was ridiculous...it would have splattered all over and ruined the boxes sitting underneath the line...hence my actions. My primary boss came over and bitched me out, so I gave him what he wanted, ruined several boxes of clothing in the process. When the manager of the store asked me what happened, I told him the exact events. My primary boss came to work the next day pale and hasn't chastized me for anything since.