Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rant and lessonof the day: 14 bolt FF yoke removal,what to not do and what

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Aug 6, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and what to do:
    i just got back in here and washed up from removing 14 bolt FF yoke, it took ALOT longer to remove due to the following reasons:

1. axle shafts removed and axle not on vehicle
    2. did not remove the washer under the pinion nut before 3. beating directlyon endofpinion gear shaft with a hammer in which mushroomedthe endof said shaft and therefore washer will not slipoff endofpinion gear shaft !

soi had to go get the straight air drill and tapered steel cutting dremel bit and go all around the endof the pinion gear shaft to remove mushroom, took about 5 times before i finally got enough removed to getthe washer and therefore the yoke off the shaft splines and therefore removed,in which was all i wanted to do !

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so for thoseof you who go to remove a yokeoff a pinion gear: do not use hammer directlyon endof the shaft, do use a long skinny pointed steel punch and do remove the washer along with the nut before starting to punch the gear through the yoke !

i basically ruined a 3.73 14bolt FF pinion gear... unless i can getthe nut tomayb thread onto the shaft...... maybe....

anyone know ?

about a good 3/8"ofthe very endof the threads are gone and tapered down now after all this,.

i have taken many 10and 12 bolts apart and also dana 44 also i believe, and those yokes come off pretty easy, unlike these 14 FF ones.

phew........

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I mucked the threads of a 14FF pinion after dropping it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I was able to find a machine shop that lent me a spare dye to re-cut the threads. If memory serves me (don't bet the farm on this) it was like 7/8" by 18TPI. I also checked how much one would cost to buy.......lets just say, hopefully you can find somebody who will let you use their's.

3. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should never beat on the pinion shaft. It can change the crush sleeve setting and ruin the bearings. I made a simple puller and it comes off with ease. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good point!

My father made one up for me out of some thick flat stock. Two bolts bolt diagonal (where the u-joint strap goes), and the center was drilled and tapped. As the center bolt is screwed in (grade 8 fine thread), it pulls the yoke off, just make sure the stock you use is stout as there can be alot of force exerted on it.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If ya need I got a set of 3.73's. Let me know.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

too late now, is parts only axle, now, wasperfectly good, isnt worth spending on, IMO
    some strong threaded rod and a nut welded to flat thick steelplate with holesfor threadingtothe yoke would work well as a puller im sure, and beaton the end of the puller instead, but what about the end that needs to sit in/on the endof the pinion gear shaft ?

grind down to point, or ?

hmmm..

picsof tool, homemadeor store bought that works for this pulling ?

thanks

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

wow... i never worked on axles b4 so i am not sure....

u r talking about the end where the universal bolts to right? sorry for my inadequite knowlege of axles... i changed the seal on my d44 once... i was told take that big 1 1/16"th, i think it was, nut off and that yoke just pulled off... replaced seal and put all back to gether...

i thought it was easy and said i would help anyone out if needed.. but now reading this..... NO WAY!!!!!

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

danan 44is alot smaller, this one is 1 1/2" nut and has a separate carrier justfor the pinion gear and the bearinns rid in it, dana 44 and 10 bolt and 12bolt areonepiece case, 14 botl FF are two piece case and so are the 47-72 years eaton FF axles too,but not the same two piece design,

1/2 ton stuff is simple and basic