Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**rant** Autozone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Sep 8, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

**RANT ON**

So I look up new front rotors for a '74 Maverick, (doing a front disk conversion on my cousins '67 Mustang) part number 5419 from autozone. I am at work so I use my work address and zip. Part comes up with a price of $38.99ea. I have my cousin (they are for his car) order them up. They get here and they charged him $62.99each. I called and asked why the price increase if the website clearly stated 38.99each.

Get this. It all depends on which SHIP TO zip code you use or what 'local store' you punch in when you are looking on the site. The zip code that I used when I originally check is ONLY 12 minutes from the zip code my cousin used....and therefore the price was nearly DOUBLED!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!

So I called autozone and asked if they match prices. They said yes. I told them I found the same exact part number online for cheaper. They said, bring it in, we'll match it. They ask which site so they can see for themselves....I say Autozone. They said it has to be a competitors price!!!!!!!!!

I called the online people back and told them the situation AGAIN. Basically I need to go into an autozone and return the rotors I got for $62.99each, then come home, order them online and use the zipcode I originally used (my work address) and they will sell me the rotors for $38.99each.

What a joke. Seems like a scam almost!

Just thought I'd share. Hell, if you want to see for yourself...go to autozone.com when it asks for the local store address...use 93030 (ventura blvd, oxnard), punch in part number 5419 under "part number search". Then do do it all over again and use 93060 (harvard blvd. santa paula)

These stores arent more than 20 minutes away!! haha!! Yet none of the stores will honor the 38.99.

Go figure. :what: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

*Rant off*

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That may be one of the dumbest things I've heard yet. it s great to know because there are 6 autozones around me and they are in different zip codes. I will have to "shop" them next time I need something. This just might work to our advantage.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Damn that sucks... What a PITA. I did your little test of their site and couldnt believe it.. I wonder if someone has some kind of explanation as to why thats done.. :confused:

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

The guy on the phone said the two stores could be in the same city even, doesnt matter, they CAN have different prices.

I have a feeling it may be a glitch in the system, because DOUBLEING the price is just insane.

We are gonna order them up before they 'fix it' if they do.

Who knows.

Maybe its like gas prices...one Shell by my work right off the freeway is always about $.07-$.12 more than the Shell station about 5 blocks away!

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like I said, now that I know that they are doing something dumb, I feel compelled to take advantage. :waytogo:

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's why we call it "IDIOTZONE", or "RICERZONE".

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

That's a big difference - that has to be an error somewhere. CSK autoparts stores do this too - but they will match the online price. Whenever I go to Checker I always check the price online first. Sometimes it saves me a few bucks. Last time I went to pick up a part in a town 10 miles away because the local place didn't have it - it was $2 more for the same $15.00 part. :confused:

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My dad went in the Autozone in his hometown and got a price on a part. The autozone in my hometown had the same part for a much cheaper price. (we are about 120 miles apart). The autozone folks said that it is because of competition in a larger town. Since that time an O'reilly's has moved in right next door to the Autozone in my dad's hometown. Autozone dropped their prices. It all has to do with how much competition that particular autozone has in that area.

In my town we have pretty much every "chain" auto parts store. I always used autozone b/c where I grew up that's all they had until recently. However, not too long ago I bought an A/C compressor for my '90 K5 and believe it or not Advance Auto Parts had the best price in town. If I recall correctly it was around $50 cheaper than Autozone. I have since been using them and have been very pleased with their prices. Again, it may be a local thing though.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahhhhhh.....the joys of living in Cali! :surepal: :whistle: :screwy: :angry1: :haha:

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I just checked soem prices locally here. If you find a part, look down towards the right and you will see a button makred "search other stores". I went that route.

The G63438 shocks that I have bought for around $19 before now list for $28.99. But when I serched other stores, they were $7 ($21.99) cheaper about 4 miles down the street!

Thanks for the tip!

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

See, I avoid the situation altogether and go to NAPA. The counter people at the Autozone's for the three reasonably close stores are so worthless it isn't even funny. Two of the counter guys at NAPA know me on a first name basis just from me being a customer and buying routine stuff.

....when a counter-person tells me they don't have lug nuts, I tend to lose all respect

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

same here too..

My friend gives the Autozone in my town of raynham a lot of bussiness..buys most of his parts there,so long as they have it in stock about 75% of the time..he does call around to other stores as a rule,because he noticed the same thing--especially on brake rotors and calipers..there is an Autozone 2 miles from him just down the street in the town his shop is in--the one in my town is 4 or 5 miles away,both stores are similar in size--yet the one closest to him ALWAYS has higher prices!...if he finds a lower price at the other store near me,they only match the price very reluctantly,if at all--they give no argument if its a competitor's store though.. :dunno: :screwy:

He has noticed brake rotors are often cheaper at a "real" parts store I once worked at close to him many times!--in one case,a cavalier rotor was 29.95 each at the Autozone near me (the "cheaper" one!)--but they were 13.99 each at the "jobber" parts store that usually gets called "rapists" by many mechanics due to their prices being so much higher than Autozone!--he brought this to both Autozones attention,and both stores said they could not even BUY that # rotor so cheap!..something is fishy here!

He always calls around when shopping for altenators,starters,and water pumps too..Autozone near me is nearly always the cheapest(plus they deliver!)the other one near him does not,and their prices are often a lot higher for the same part!..

It must be the stores might be independently owned,or are a franchise,and the managers can set the prices and whether or not they will match other stores prices... :dunno: the wonderful world of auto parts--every person who walks in gets a different price at the "jobber" stores..and though the public pays the price as marked at Autozone,they DO discount commercial accounts quite a bit off the "street" price.. :screwy:

BTW--when my friend had to move out of his last garage he worked at for 18 years because his former boss turned landlord sold the place out from under him more or less,the boss told him he could keep all the "stock" like oil filters,air filters,rotors,brake pads,tune up stuff--most of it was dated,and all the cars they fit were in the boneyard 10 years ago!--but I DO remember about 10 of those 5419 "granada" rotors going in the dumpster,along with hundreds of obsolete air and oil filters--we gave the brake pads and some filters to a swap meet guy to sell...too bad you didn't want those rotors last year around february! :doah: :crazy: