Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RANT: Electrical Fire in My New Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Sep 29, 2003.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Freakin wiring harness was sitting on top of the block between the intake manifold and the heads, melted some wires and smoked like crazy. Now it wont even turn over. Still have power to lights, blinkers, gauges, windows, everything but the motor. Fookin angry. Just got this huk o' crap two weeks ago. WTF? Bad luck? Bad Karma? I love my Blazers, won't ever own anything but a Blazer, but MAN, they can really push my "Kill something, FAST" button. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Probably a burned up fusible link from the short...sorry to hear it.

I had a meltdown behind the dash last year, managed to pull over and disconnect the battery before it went up in flames. It took me about 11 hours to remove all the melted crap and put in a new under dash harness...all on the first day of my 'vacation'./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Turns out the fuse box was damaged and when the tail light circuit got a dead short the fuse wouldn't blow, then stuff behind the dash started to melt and smoke.

Rene

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Maybe it was testing your firefighting skills /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif j/k

4. firefighter184

Luckily, my firefighting skills were in top shape! I took my leather glove and beat out the flames with it. No fire can withstand the onslaught of my might... Didn't wanna user a dry chem extinguisher if I didn't have to. Just in case all of you out there in Blazerland didn't know, the chemicals in a dry chem extinguisher are extremely corrosive to electronics and metals. If you can avoid using them (like only if your truck is going to be a total loss) do.

5. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I sucks even more it you have to call your own Dept. Unfortunetly I know. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. firefighter184

I've had my own department extricate my wife and I from a wrecked Honda Civic. Better them than some of the hacks around here. Actually, the guys from the firehouse towed the Blazer back to the station with our brush rig. Only problem with that is that now the general public is going to think we are a freakin tow service. They already think we change diapers and offer a taxi service for outpatient medical care... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif