Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rant/Motor Mount Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Nov 1, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok this day sucked. Figure on a an hour or two to set my engine in, well turned into an all day affair. Its a 454 big block, but since its going in a small block truck, i was told to use the small block clam shells and inserts, so i bought energy suspension 4 bolt style inserts pn #3.1116 whereas my donor vehicle had the 3 bolt style.........WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL fast forward to today. When you drop the engine down it hits on the tabs that stick out of the insert. So i ground them down a bit...After taking them on and off 3 times for just a bit more grinding, had em where it shoulda worked. Well till when i put the weight on it snapped off the tabs....argh... well ok, i dont need the upper tabs lets see if it lines up. Well its dark, cant see nothing, bolt wont go through and had to tell if the holes in the insert are closer to middle of truck that the ones on the outter holder that attaches to the block, or whether the bottom tabs is keepin it from lining up. Now the question...How much are them little tabs needed? Im at a loss, thing wont line up at all. What shoulda been the easiest part took a whole day and still nothin got done. Sorry for this being so long.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

some of the 73-up clamshell style engine block mounted brackets have the through-bolt hole at different distance from engine block than others, but mainly the difference was from car to truck/van, i have run into this problem a bunch of times, if you use car ones in a truck then you end up with hole in block mounted bracket not being out far enough away from engine block to allow the through-bolt to pass through,

also for some reason the 454 frame rail stand brackets are 1" shorter in length than the sbc and 6 cyl ones, i dont know why, but if you measure with tape then you will see the measurement difference.

there are more differences in GM engine mount setups than you think, evne when they look identical
    this is how its been since at least 1963 for the trucks, big block had their own design of engine mounts, and so did sbc and so did 250 and so did 292 pass side, all different setups form each other including the frame rail trees

3. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

hello i am a new member don't know if this will help i mounted a 1974 chevy engine crossmember in my 67 gmc that has a 1971 4x4 frame the 74 truck was a small block truck but had a 454 i used offroad design motor mounts that have 4-hole mounts the frame standoffs have 3 holes so i figure they used the stock crossmember!i had no problems with mounting them i know big blocks of the 1973-up used different engine brackets cause the small block ones made the big block balancer hit the front crossmember! lol /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

How bout we lead a party and go hang the engineer who came up with these ideas. Im also impressed, your first post, and as a paying member i might add(makes me feel like a slacker) is to help me lol. So how important are those tabs? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why not just use all the SBC hardware? The engine mount bolt holes are in the exact same place on the SBC and BBC so you can use the SBC mounts on a BBC engine. The distance from the bell housing to the motor mount holes of the SBC and BBC is the same and the length difference between both engines is 1" longer on the front of a BBC.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i am using all of the small block stuff. I am using the small block clamshells, the small block inserts, the small block crossmember, and the small block (lack of a better term) things that bolt to the side of the block. The problem is i cant get the holes in the things that bolt to the engine to line up with the holes in the inserts.

7. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i am probably going out on a limb here but i would say the tabs spread the load more evenly to the mount i say since you have allresdy ground the a little and they are still in the way cut them off the poly mounts shouldn't compress as much as rubber as long as it looks like the clamshell on the engine mount hit the frame you should be ok! when i pulled the 454 out of the 1974 the frame mounts were so bad you could almost pull the part the center bolts went through out of the mount but i don't remember any tabs on the mounts! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

We'll see how bad it pisses me off tomorow, in a rash of taken off the mount for the 13110987120983742742 time i may hack off the other set of tabs and if it tries to wobble on me, ill chain the bastard down to the frame, lol.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHA I GOT THE BASTARD IN THERE..............MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ok, enough evil laughter, after removing the mounts another 682 times, prying on the mounts with a crow bar, tire iron, hammering, almost colapsing from back spasms from prying so hard, the holes FINALLY lined up. its just a long block, but ill tell you one thing, it looks like a beast sittin in there, then i look at the front 10 bolt and cringe........

10. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

hmmm now that you have the engine in what will come up that you will have to pull it out??? i had my big block in and out at least 10 times before i had my custom mounts just right! why did i put the lift on before i put the engine in@#%$&*^#@ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

haha if its gotta come out again, that front clip is comin off, my whole chest hurts where i was hangin over the fenders in there.