Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rant of the day...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fjleiter, Apr 20, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Decided to change the ujoints on the truck, figured it was nice day etc... (this was two days ago). Broke out the new jack I bought at Advance Auto parts. Got the SUV/Truck Hi-Lift jack on sale. Get the truck up on stands, change out the joints (after a couple hours of pounding out the severely rusted, lubricant free old joints). Bolt it all back together and go to take the jackstands out. Start pumping on the jack and POP!!! Hydraulic fluid sprays out the nice new crack on the hydraulic cylinder in the jack. (Looks like it had a bad weld on the top of the cylinder). Now I'm /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Tear the house apart trying to find my receipt, no luck. Run out of daylight so truck sits on the stands till monday. Still no luck finding another jack to use or receipt to take the broken one back on monday so it sits on the stands another day... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Tuesday comes, tear the house up some more, call parts store and manager says it's in the computer, just bring the broken one in and they will exchange it. Figure ok, gotta get some parts anyways... Drive out there, exchange the jack, go to buy my parts... Left my wallet at home... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Drive home, get the truck off the stands no problem, take it for a test drive. Just about rattles all my fillings out the vibration is so bad (seems to be speed dependent). Go back home, throw it back on jackstands. Pull Driveshaft, looks like rear-most "new" u-joint was defective, take wifes car to parts store, get new joint and install. Now I figure, great time to change fluid in transfer case and do an oil change. Can't get oil filter off by bare hands, grab the oil filter wrench... Filters on so tight and I'm getting so /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I end up collapsing the filter into a nice twisted mess, then breaking it into two halves... End up doing the old screwdriver and hammer trick to get the base off. Change oil, button it up and done. Now on to x-fer case. No luck, PO tightened bolts up so tight I can't get them off with adjustable wrench or lockjaws for fear of stripping or rounding the heads. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Figure I'll worry about that later. GO to raise the truck off the stands and guess what, new jack will only lift and hold pressure for less than a second. (makes some funky gurgling noises then collapses back down. And yes, the release valve is closed) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm so po'ed I furiously pump away at the jack, manage to lift it off the stands far enough for me to quickly dive down and yank the stands out before the jack loses pressure again.
    Hop in the truck, fire it up and throw it in gear. CLUNK, still have the clunking noise, test drive it, seems a little better, vibrations fixed, still getting a when I accelerate slowly or coast down (tranny downshifts). Park it back in the driveway and stare at it thinking...needs new engine, tires, drivers floor repaired, and whatever is making the clunk fixed. Stupid piece of /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, looking at garage /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif that I'm so /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif at this thing I'm ready to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    Until I have a large pile of scrap metal I can take to the dump....

SORRY, I just had to rant, been a BAD day...

(and to those skilled in the correction of others grammar and proper english writing skills.... I didn't feel like using paragraphs /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could've tried pushing it off the jackstands, I've had to do that before, wasn't exactly safe but it worked.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..I guess the moral of the story is never buy jacks from Advance...

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Did you take the jack back again? That sounds really bad. Too bad it had to happen /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i dont like to buy much more than fluids from advance. but being that the folks that hang around the local napa are sketchy to say the least (not to mention that theres a really hot girl workin at advance some days), i'll be frequenting advance /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Considered putting it into 4lo and driving it off the stands but with my luck I would have chunked the gas tank and turned it into a fireball. Probably torching the house as well, can pretty much guarantee my wife wouldn't believe that either one was an "accident"... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    You could've tried pushing it off the jackstands, I've had to do that before, wasn't exactly safe but it worked.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..I guess the moral of the story is never buy jacks from Advance...

[/ QUOTE ]

6. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Not yet, afraid the instinct to launch it through the big plate glass window in front may be too strong at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you take the jack back again? That sounds really bad. Too bad it had to happen /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not yet, afraid the instinct to launch it through the big plate glass window in front may be too strong at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif sounds like something I would do on a bad day /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I just love clicking on these 'rants of the day' knowing it's going to be a 5000 word discertation in one paragraph. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

You know I do them just for you! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I just love clicking on these 'rants of the day' knowing it's going to be a 5000 word discertation in one paragraph. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]