Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rant on calling on K5s for sale as a woman

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mini_mull, Nov 12, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

OK guys, I know none of you here would do this, but why is it every time I call on a K5 for sale, the pig I'm talking to talks in really small easy words like I'm a retard. For example, I called on a first gen that's been out in someone's front yard for sale for about a month, since they dropped the price down 1K. So the guys not home, but another guy says his brother might tell me something about it. So first he gets on the phone and says, "hello, sir," like the only person that would call on it would have to be a guy. I shrug that off, and ask what he knows about the blazer. He says it "goes fast" and is a 4x4 for "driving off road." DUH! Somehow I bet he wouldn't have used lamo phrases if I was a guy. I wouldn't rant, but this isn't the first time. It happens every time I'm trying to buy a truck. Some guys really only know that much about their truck, but most just assume I'm a dip stick and can't understand any technical terms because I'm a woman. I have to pry every specific detail about the vehicle out of them one by one. It's like pulling teeth, and all the while no matter how far into the conversation we are, they keep talking down to me. :mad: :mad: :mad: OK I'm done venting. Please console me. :wink1:

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't generally get that... but I understand that it would be annoying as hell. Maybe you could start off the conversation with an informative statement... such as...

a) "goes like hell eh? A few years ago I built a 454 for my other 1st gen K5. man, with the 5.13s and 203/205 'cases, that thing really got it in the rocks. You ever been to Moab?"

or...

b) "its gonna need a lot of upgrades to be worth much offroad, I've been working on a 4 link design for the rear of one of these... and a 3 link front. Not quite done figuring everything out yet though... say, you wouldn't happen to know if moving my upper links further from axle center line will help with anti-squat would ya?"

or how about...

c) "I'm pretty much just interested in the body, I'll prolly swap out and sell most of the rest of the stuff... between the portal axles, full hydro steering, rear steer, stax 3 speed t-case, HAD shafts and the FI'd 502 I'm gonna put in her, there prolly won't be much left that was stock".

:thumb:

j

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

your a woman?

oh

i useualy do the oposit when talking to anyone, and i find my self often explaning how beadlocks work and why the hell you would want them, or that you cant just use the other t case in a doubler if it one brakes, or what ever.

i tend to tread every one to be on the same leavel of intelagence as me untill they prove other wize.

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Now dont do the same thing they are doing. :shame:
    Just because they are GUYS doesn't mean they really know what they have. :haha: I've talk to sellers that said the truck has a "posi" rearend, but they dont know the difference between a detroit and a govloc. :doah: But this Can be good for you if they dont know what they have. :laugh: A guy at work had some axles he wanted to get rid of, but all he could tell me was that they were 3/4ton cause they were 8 lug. He doesnt know if it dana's, 10bolts or what just that they were stock chevy axles. So I had to go check them out just in case it was a dana 60 :D

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Use it to your advantage. Guys hate dissappointing a lady. Work the price down and then cry if they won't go down more. [​IMG] Say its a gift for your boyfriend and you only have so much $$ and he would just love it if you could only afford it. :D

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Might get frustrating but you could definitely work it to your advantage. If they think you're an newb, they'll probably tell you some things they wouldn't tell someone they thought new their chit.

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Amen, Sista!

Been there... it's SOOOO annoying and it doesn't help that my voice sounds like a little kid's :rolleyes: I don't know a whole lot, but I know more about trucks than a lot of guys I know. Most of the time, once they realize that I actually DO know what I'm talking about, they stop being so tarded and get down to business. Well, except this one time I called the stealership and the guy in the parts department made me so mad, I hung up on him :doah:

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    (SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR)

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yeah, i just checked out the link in her signature,,,i REALLY hope she's not plannin on tearin up that black Burb with all those mods planned,,,,,so many other already half torn up trucks to buy and rip apart out there.. :(

definately a nice Burb

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I tended to do that for everyone when I was selling my trucks, and my cars for that matter. No one who looked at them knew anything about vehicles (or they were playing it that way). One guy who looked at my last truck seemed to know a little more than average, and he thought he could get the tranny to last if he bought it. I just told him I sort of thought the same thing at first, and look where we are now (selling it).
    If a person said something that indicated they knew a bit about it, I'd probably get much more friendly and BS about it a whole lot more. I don't think man or woman would make much of a difference to me.

But, yeah, I understand how irritating that is. It's gotta be more irritating if you think it's just because you're a woman. But everyone does that. I've had guys in places like Best Buy or Circuit City try explaining how to use Interent Explorer to download wahtever. I work on computers for a living, so I start getting annoyed when they start getting into that.

But I agree with CBBR, use it to your advantage if you can, just make sure they're not hiding something they wouldn't try to hide if they thought they were dealing with someojne knowledgable.

11. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. jek, I've tried that and it's fun :D . shadow, I wish everyone thought like you. Bob, I've talked to many guys like you describe, in fact I bought my burb from one :D . Mikey and cbbr, I never really thought about using this to my advantage, maybe I'll have to plan some covert opps. shewheeler, thanks for the empathy, and sweet garage! newyorkin', it's nice to know it happens to guys, too. Oh and don't worry crazy, I decided not to mod the burb. It'd be to big of a pain to do all that to a DD, what would I drive? That's why I'm keeping an eye out for a screaming deal on a K5. I've started a new plan for that :D . 9hours of sleep +your support has really cheered me up, in fact I think I'll try another call later.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Quit yer whining.:wink1: You are in possession of a very potent weapon, one that gives you a distinct advantage over your male opposition. And, used properly, it will allow you to score victory after victory........

I'm referring to the ability to toss your hair a certain way, turn your lips into an oh-so-subtle pout, and gently bat your eyelashes. With practice, you can get everything you want and more, EVERYTIME. I'm not advocating turning into a bimbo, BTW, but I have watched Kim work her "magic" more than once, and let me tell you, I would give my left pinky for just a sprinkle of that kind of power.

If I was you, I would use the male ego to your advantage in situations like you describe. Don't let it bother you, sister. Just keep in mind that a large majority of men are playing a role, and it's up to you how you decide to work it in your favor.......9 times out of 10, you'll come out ahead.:thumb:

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Rats. Paul's onto us.

14. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Shh, quiet, You're exposing us. :p:

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

quit being a pussy and give up something that really matters. like a left nut or something.

16. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Don't sweat it, the morons are probably just jealous you know anything about wheeling.

They don't think "Chicks" should know anything, but then again, what do guys really know about women!

Where is it at, don't worry, I won't buy if out from you. Does it look in decent shape? There are some decent deals in the valley but a first gen, now that's a score here in AZ.

Are you planning on wheeling the blazer in the rocks with us?

Where have you been? We have been wheeling a bunch of times, and we have not seen hide nor hair of you on any of the runs we hit. Not even the meet and greet.

We are going to hit a run next weekend in Florence, to Martinez Canyon, have you considered attending.

Don't worry, we are really a pretty cool bunch of people to hang with including the camping thing. I am always with my kids on these runs, your daughter would get a real charge on on of our trips. I have two kids, Joey and Nina, 11 and 9, and they are like shadows when it comes to wheeling.

Post up and introduce yourself in our fourm, then we can razz you a little about coming out with us. :D

Don't worry we won't flog your cool Surburban.

Rob

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

... There is an "Anchorman:The Legend of Ron Burgandy" quote for just about any situation!!!!!

Someone needs to tell that guy, "Times are changing, ladies can DO stuff now!"

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Been there done that. In our house my mom did the selling/buying (it was HER crew cab SHE asked us to build). If the guy was an a-hole she wouldn't seel/buy (unless it was a one of a kind). You have an extra trick. The AZ group. Most of us aren't going to buy a rig out from under you, but would be willing to take some time out of our day to check it out (we are on all sides of the city). Then you can check it out and see if the story changes. This works for all sexes. You can send a skinny, clean handed, white collor buddy looking for a hunting truck, and then go and scout the same rig a little grungy. See if anything changes in the story. (just don't use the same buddy to pick it up if you buy it). It sounds dirty but the used car world has become hardball.

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The problem may not actually be related to your "womanness" but rather just the demographic of the person who has the $1000 First Gen Blazer...

Sometimes the people with the best deals will also be, er, colorful personalities.... OK, let me just say it plainly:

Sometimes weirdos have great truck parts for cheap!!! :D

Not everyone with a Blazer is a CK5 enthusiast, and not every seller even understands what this hobby has become.

Part of the rude behavior might also be an insecurity about the fact that a "girl" seems to know more about trucks than they do... the male psyche is a fragile thing. :eek1:

20. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

Mini is that white K5 off of Ellsworth? If it is that things been sitting in the front "yard" for close to a year now. First time I saw it I think they were using it as a storage container. :confused: He's brought down the price quite a bit. It started off as 3500.00 :eek1: I wouldnt pay more than 700 for it.... God knows what else has been done in it :eek1: