Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rant on Pit Bulls and irresponsible

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derf00, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

A week ago Saturday morning I was working on my truck and had my male Lab in the front yard with me, no leash and no collar(mistake #1). I was under the truck when I saw my Lab go by, so I rolled out and jumped up to see him headed up the street towards a large Pit Bull. I yelled at him to stop, which he did, and then I told him to sit which he did. I got to my dog before the Pit did, but as soon as I grabbed my dog by the neck to get him out of there the pit attacked us. Not wanting to let my dog be defensless or to get bit, I let go and the ensuing fight was as bad a dog fight as I had ever seen.

Fortunately, my 100 lb Lab more than held his own with the Pit, he grabbed the Pit by the head and neck and wasn't about to let go. The Pit finally got loose and inflected the worst bite of the fight, which took out two small lower front teeth of my Lab. Finally a neighbor showed up with a baseball bat and was able to hit the Pit in the head, which ended the fight long enough for me to get my Lab away from the Pit. Even though the Pit was never able to get my Lab by his neck, I am sure it would have only been a matter of time till he did, a Pit won't quit.

As it turned out, the Pit was a stray, he had a collar, but no tags. Animal Control picked up the Pit and he was put in quarantine, they wanted to pick-up my dog, but we were able to talk them into home quarantine for him. Since rabies is rampant in our county at the present time, and I got scratched, I had to go the the Dr. $100, the Vet bill for my Lab was $150 to look at the bites on his chest, fortunately none to his face or neck or ears.

I know there are responsible pet owners out there, and there are Pit Bulls that are good pets, but these dogs were bred to fight and it is just instinctive to them. This dog will meet his maker in the morning because he had an irresponsible owner who wouldn't take care of him.

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I'm right behind you on that one. Idiot across the street from me has a pit (and a toddler) and they let that danged dog out every night to do it's "thing". Keep in mind that I live in the middle of the city, this isn't a rural neighborhood. A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting here, on the computer (not a surprise to anyone that knows me) and I heard a *thump*YELP* Apparently, they let it out, it wandered into the street, and got smacked by a car. The owner (girl in her early twenties) ran outside, screaming profanities at the driver of the vehicle. Now, if they had a fenced-in yard, it might be different, but they live in an apartment building, for crying out loud. They just open the door every night, and let it roam the neighborhood. Animal control never responds to my calls, of course, so, I'm just waiting for something or someone to get attacked. I just hope it isn't me or anyone I care about.

BTW, i have nothing against pit bulls. If they are raised right, they can be good dogs. I do have a problem with pit owners that think that their dog "wouldn't hurt a flea". All dogs, at some point, have the potential to turn. With a pit, if/when it does, your 3 year old kid doesn't have much of a chance of survival.
    Is it me, or does anyone else think that the ratio of bad pit bull owners to bad owners of any other dog is quite high?

<end rant>

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    A week ago Saturday morning I was working on my truck and had my male Lab in the front yard with me, no leash and no collar(mistake #1). I was under the truck when I saw my Lab go by, so I rolled out and jumped up to see him headed up the street towards a large Pit Bull. I yelled at him to stop, which he did, and then I told him to sit which he did. I got to my dog before the Pit did, but as soon as I grabbed my dog by the neck to get him out of there the pit attacked us. Not wanting to let my dog be defensless or to get bit, I let go and the ensuing fight was as bad a dog fight as I had ever seen.

Fortunately, my 100 lb Lab more than held his own with the Pit, he grabbed the Pit by the head and neck and wasn't about to let go. The Pit finally got loose and inflected the worst bite of the fight, which took out two small lower front teeth of my Lab. Finally a neighbor showed up with a baseball bat and was able to hit the Pit in the head, which ended the fight long enough for me to get my Lab away from the Pit. Even though the Pit was never able to get my Lab by his neck, I am sure it would have only been a matter of time till he did, a Pit won't quit.

As it turned out, the Pit was a stray, he had a collar, but no tags. Animal Control picked up the Pit and he was put in quarantine, they wanted to pick-up my dog, but we were able to talk them into home quarantine for him. Since rabies is rampant in our county at the present time, and I got scratched, I had to go the the Dr. $100, the Vet bill for my Lab was $150 to look at the bites on his chest, fortunately none to his face or neck or ears.

I know there are responsible pet owners out there, and there are Pit Bulls that are good pets, but these dogs were bred to fight and it is just instinctive to them. This dog will meet his maker in the morning because he had an irresponsible owner who wouldn't take care of him.

[/ QUOTE ] Pit Bulls were originally bred to love people and kill rats back in the day when London was over ran by rats. Later they would put 2 or 3 dogs in a pit with a bull, hence the name Pit Bull. Like any other dog, if ya fight them, they'll become mean. If you raise them like any other dog, they make great pets. Of all the dogs I've had, my pits have always been very loving. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm right behind you on that one. Idiot across the street from me has a pit (and a toddler) and they let that danged dog out every night to do it's "thing". Keep in mind that I live in the middle of the city, this isn't a rural neighborhood. A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting here, on the computer (not a surprise to anyone that knows me) and I heard a *thump*YELP* Apparently, they let it out, it wandered into the street, and got smacked by a car. The owner (girl in her early twenties) ran outside, screaming profanities at the driver of the vehicle. Now, if they had a fenced-in yard, it might be different, but they live in an apartment building, for crying out loud. They just open the door every night, and let it roam the neighborhood. Animal control never responds to my calls, of course, so, I'm just waiting for something or someone to get attacked. I just hope it isn't me or anyone I care about.

BTW, i have nothing against pit bulls. If they are raised right, they can be good dogs. I do have a problem with pit owners that think that their dog "wouldn't hurt a flea". All dogs, at some point, have the potential to turn. With a pit, if/when it does, your 3 year old kid doesn't have much of a chance of survival.
    Is it me, or does anyone else think that the ratio of bad pit bull owners to bad owners of any other dog is quite high?

<end rant>

[/ QUOTE ] That makes me sick. What is wrong with putting the dog on a leash and taking it for a walk ??? Some people just shouldn't have a dog no matter what bred it is !!!!!!!

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That makes me sick. What is wrong with putting the dog on a leash and taking it for a walk ??? Some people just shouldn't have a dog no matter what bred it is !!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100% on that one.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Pits are useless. For every one 'nice' Pit, there are a hundred psychotic ones with the DNA pre-programmed to kill and maim.

Fred, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd be pissed as hell and probably wouldn't have stopped the bat assault if my dog was attacked. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Pits are useless. For every one 'nice' Pit, there are a hundred psychotic ones with the DNA pre-programmed to kill and maim.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't believe that for a second !!!! Thats no more true for any bred of dog. I've been around many Pits and have never seen one go after anyone with out a reson that would cause any bred of dog to do the same thing. Pits have a bad reputation because people caused them too be bad by fighting them, purpusly making them mean. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pits have a bad reputation because people caused them to be bad by fighting them, purpusly making them mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point. I've been at Doggie Beach in San Diego (next to Ocean Beach for you surf dudes) and saw one almost literally kill two other mid size dogs who happened to be in the vicinity. Watched the whole thing, saw the 'look' come over the pit bull (which was tied with a chain your Blazer would be hard pressed to break) and it attacked, breaking the lawn chair the chain was attached to and upending the nice young lady enjoying the sunshine with her 'nice pit bull'. Fawkin' nuts I tell ya. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

"dna programmed to kill and maim"???????really? can they do that? You are sort of right, in a way off sort of way. The reason that alot of the pits are flipping out and attacking people is not because they are "programmed to kill", sure a select few are bred as fighting dogs, but the majority of them go crazy because they are so overbread and crossbread from popularity, their brains are just screwed up to begin with. Its like having a family tree that doesnt branch. Something is going to go wrong really fast. I even went to look at a pit with my uncle, and we checked out the parents of the litter and it turns out that the male(father) was the pup of a previous litter of the mother. And stuff like that goes on all the time.

Remington

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Ya shudda knifed that pit, or atleast left him breathing out of a few extra openings, (large caliber hand gun). pits are the worst. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya shudda knifed that pit, or atleast left him breathing out of a few extra openings, (large caliber hand gun). pits are the worst. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Statements like that are just wrong. It's not the dog's fault that the breders are dumber then a box of rocks, or that the owners misstreat them. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I agree inbred dogs should probley be put down, but I think it should be done humanely.

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with some of the posts here as well. It is not the Pit Bull I hate, but the owners. I do not understand why the most ignorant and least qualified people to own a Pit Bull, are exactly the ones that own one. Pit Bulls have a strong natural instinct to kill anything smaller than them, and this includes rabbits, squirrels, cats, and children. A pit Bull does not know the difference between a squirrel and a child.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I KILLED A PIT BULL. I had a Pit Bull come after me one time when I was a teenager in High School. I was walking home from High School, when this Pit Bull came after me. Luckily I had on a heavy-duty pair of Oil Field workers boots on that day. As he lunged for my throat, I kicked him in the head in mid-air, and it spun the Pit around 360 Degrees. The Pit then landed back on the grass running in circles, and pushing his head into the grass. His owner had seen what happened, and yelled out the Pits name. When the dog lifted his head to look back at his owner, I could see that a whole row of teeth were busted out, and hanging by a thin piece of skin from his gums. The owner FREAKED, and started screaming at me that he was going to kick my ass. I was so pumped at that moment I screamed at him to "COME ON AND GET A PIECE OF ME." Without even thinking I punched him in the face, and knocked him out cold. I heard later that the Pit had to be put to sleep because his jaw was so severely shattered.

14. unclematty

dude, I don't want to get into a pissing match, but if that happened to my dog I'd kill that pit with my bear hands if I had to, dogs that are as agressive as pits around here are need to be put down as soon as they prove themselves as agressive, god help the pit and it's owner if my kids ever get in trouble with a pit.going on the premise that ya'll are apperarently operating under lets wait till something happens involving a pit before you do anything, I don't see it that way. better to err on the side of caution, then let my wonderful, good-around-kids, well behaved lab/rotty mix get messed up, and possibly hurt or maim my kids, sorry the pit is goin' down, and hard!!seen to many bad things happen with pits involved, poor owner responsability or not doesn't change the fact that an aggresive dog is causing problems, I say kill it now. now I'm not usually like that but I've had my kids hurt too many times to stand Idley by and let something like this go. My dog is part of my family, just like my kids, wait till you get kids, I'm sure your tone will change dramatically /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

You guys are all knocking on the door of a much bigger problem in our society. There is no responsibility in the world we now live in. It is always someone else's fault and we sue them. It is the dog owners responsibility to take care of the dog.

Say these dogs were bred to kill. If the owners were responsible there wouldn't be a problem. It's a dog, not the devil. They have as much right to be here as we do.

We do not own this earth, we are just temporary tenants.

All of this dog talk parallels the whole gun issue and gets me really heated. I hate stupid people.

-Chris

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My brother has a dog that is 1/2 pit and 1/2 boxer... it is a piece of crap. That SOB has bit more people and dogs that you can shake a stick at. It thought that it was real tough until it layed into my female Rott one day... after the dust cleared, his dog doesn't F w/ mine anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. unclematty

you are correct, it does parallel the gun issue rather closely, but with one major difference, guns are inanimate objects. guns don't kill people, people kill people! On the other hand I watched the neighbors dog, a big rotty, attack my 4 year old, it only scratched him but was intent on much more luckily I was close by. the owner took the dog away and was later cited for not restraining his dog, and the dog ended up being put down due to many similar events.but my point is that dogs think for themselves and can turn for no reason, I even keep an eye on my dog, and i trust here ALMOST completely with the kids. PITS are fine with me, IF they are well behaved but they only get one chance with me, as far as the irrresponsable owners they should get jail time if their dog attacks. due to their istinctively aggresive behavior, the owners should keep them restrained. ( come on, let the immature name calling ensue, I don't give a flying (darn) what anyone else thinks, It's my family's safety on the line!!) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    PS I'm an avid gun owner/ enthusiast/ shooter, and I do see your side of this, I just disagree! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pits are useless. DNA pre-programmed to kill and maim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you are uneducated on the breed. Pits (like any other dog) in the wrong hands are dangerous. If raised responsibly they are the most loyal and loving dog youll find. They strive to please their owner.

I have an 80LB American Staffordshire Terrier (basically a big pit) that is the most well behaved dog youll ever find. My 7 year old son can make her heel, sit, come, stay, beg, shake and probably 10 or so other commands. I understand that they have bad reputations and we researched for probably 6 months before making the desicion to buy ours and I will never own another breed. I just wish people would quit making uneducated comments condeming the breed baised on stories and misleading info.

Its kinda like saying all 4wd owners are out to destroy the environment and dont care. Just like most steiotypes, theyre wrong.

19. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been at Doggie Beach in San Diego (next to Ocean Beach for you surf dudes) and saw one almost literally kill two other mid size dogs who happened to be in the vicinity

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check the statistics, Labs have the highest bite rate. Its just because of the stereotype that pits make the news so often.

20. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pits are the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

Just another uneducated rambling from someone who doesnt know better. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif