Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rant on trail etiquette

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Allright, I hate to complain and whatnot, but this had me irked today. There's only one decent wheelin' spot around here, and we get everything from quads to 52" boggers down the trails. My K5 only has 32" mud tires on it, so there's only a handful of holes I can actually play in. Now, I went out today to run through my holes and this happened:

http://ke5bvc.info/gfx/K5/new_tires/2005_0605Image0002.JPG
    http://ke5bvc.info/gfx/K5/new_tires/2005_0605Image0006.JPG

If you look, my front passenger tire was freewheeling, max articulation (stock suspension). WTH?! I was thinking, that hole wasn't there yesterday.... then I found out why:

http://ke5bvc.info/gfx/K5/new_tires/2005_0605Image0009.JPG

That guy, with 44" boggers was tearing up just about anything he could, move into a relatively small hole, put it in 2WD, and let the 454BBC rip it up. Yeah it's cool to watch and everything, but for cryin out loud, he saw me struggling through some holes before he ripped em up. I said something about it "Cmon man, there ain't much this thing can make it through, you're digging those holes out. There's plenty around that can swallow your truck" (which is true, he had in water to the door earlier).

His response was "just means you need bigger tires and a lift!" Yes this is true, but not everyone owns the only offroad shop in town and can throw money at two rigs (he has a K5 sitting on 52's). Am I wrong in being irritated at this guy?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think he is an asshat too.

rene

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Find him and slash his tires. Then he'll need new tires as well. I hate arrogant over inflated asses like that.

4. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I used to hate that but , now I'm that guy :D

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You know, the thing that really gets me is a couple days before i was literally swimming around in some holes, helping some guys that have the bigger trucks clean out holes that are really good, but full of tire-slashing stuff. We ended up pulling out a bunch of carpet, a car door, metal pipes, pieces of bumber, and god knows how much wood out of a few holes.

I do something to help them out so they can get in and play without fear of losing their tires, and that guy... argh... it just rubs me the wrong way.

6. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

yah , when someone makes it up a trail that I cant, I just slash there tires . no I think you are an ass

7. google

google 1/2 ton status

:laugh: Are you all saying that if you had that truck, you would drive around the mud till you found a "bigger" hole? I find that hard to believe, but I would still get upset as you did just the same. I say, get a shovle and dig it out so he gets stuck on the way back =)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That is a good point, that is how big holes get made...

but for instance just to get back into the trails you must go through a decent sized hole (need at least 30" tires) which isn't that bad, but it's kind of nasty for the smaller rangers and whatnot. Even that got dug out by him, next time I get out I'll need to take a shovel and dig out the center so I don't high-center on it.

ehh... i guess it's just a matter of whose point of view you're looking from. I still think he was a bit of an ass, but there's only two holes that require him to use 4WD, everything else he does in 2WD :(

9. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sucks you got stuck! I thought thats what mudding was all about? Mud running never really made sense to me, just doesn't sound like fun driving through muddy water then spending hours trying to unstuck your vehicle, then only to spend all day cleaning it just to work on it again :crazy:

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I agree. What kind of asshat puts it in 2wd just to tear up the ground? That really creates a positive image :o

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Not only that... but he did mention to the guy that that wasnt needed.... however the guys response does make him an asshat..... He should have sat back and said..." sorry, didnt really realize..."

my personal opinion is lift it , lock it, get stuck.... however if that is the trail going back there... then that is just rediculous.... :crazy:

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I love burn outs and slinging mud as much as the next person. But not on a trail.

Do it in a mud pit, where erosion and everything else isnt as big of a factor.

That hole he dug will just keep growing and growing until the whole area either turns into an unpassable pit, or run off removes all the dirt.

And you just know the nature extremists are using him to represent offroading people as a whole.