Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RANT***Why do people keep speaking Engrish to me???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 21, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I know this has already been done, but I have to just say... why the hell don't people in these United States speak english? I've been talked to in Engrish, Spanglish, and just about every other half breed version of our beloved language. Why the hell can't these foreigners learn to speak english properly with the correct inflections for words that should be easy... and are easy for any 2 year old child born in the 'States to learn?? I'm tired of asking people if they can find someone working with them who speaks english, or when I ask "Who should our technician ask for?" they give me the technician's name. WTF people... you come to the melting pot to get a better life, and I respect that... but if you want to be a part of day to day operations in this country, learn to speak our language.

/rant off

2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

At least they are tryin'. just remember ya'll up/over yonder speak different from others of yall from other places. Then think these different engish speakin' folks teachin them there foriegners to speak this here way of talkin' and what do you expect. :confused: Some of these people are easier to understand than some of them fast talkin' folks from north of the mason dixon line. Other from up there do talk alot more normal though. But when you get a few different people confusing this guy from iran and telling him 6 or more ways to say the same word what do expect when he tries to talk to you. We confuse him so bad some days his wife has trouble understanding him. Anyway atleast they are trying and not haveing to use as much sign language to understand them because they no no english. A few years overseas in the military and you will be able to understand these people alot better. I can imagine how my slow speakin' southern accent sounds to some of these people at work in spanish! :ears:

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dude, slow southern accents piss me off. People from up way north like Maine and Vermont speak really slow too.(I have all kinds in my class) I can't hardly talk to the people that talk so slow. I guess I'm a fast talking yankee. Midwesterners bother me cause of little things like "pop". There is a kid in class that says Pop instead of Soda. He swears that is the proper term and always will be. Even thought the definition of pop is a sound and soda is well a carbonated beverage :crazy:

Be glad he was speaking english instead of expecting you to conform to him. I had that with Spanish folks a lot at my old job.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Oh shut up, at least they're trying

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I know... I know... I'm not mad at them in particular... I'm mad at the system for not teaching them better. Can you imagine a bank in Chicago where none of the employees can speak fluent english and pretty much could use a customer in the bank to translate for them?

If I'm taking a call from Hawaii, California or Guam I can understand... in some areas... Guam is a given, though there is the exception... I had a lady in Guam speaking better english than most of the people in North Carolina... (HAHA... plug on NC... had to...) In areas where 90% of the population is spanish speaking or asian speaking, I can understand that too... but I'm getting calls from big cities in the Midwest where this is a problem.

Anyway... I'm done complaining... Its just hard to understand someone on the phone and there is no one here who speaks any secondary languages. I will be taking business Spanish soon.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

"No habla." followed by smart ass grin.

"Let's go to jail."

Wakes them up pretty fast. :D

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i hate the calls in ebonicks.i don't speak jive sucka so don't call until you don't. who hires these people? and why isn't THAT call monitered for training purpases? :laugh:

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

not everyone in NC speaks this way. but I live here and there are some that do and it bothers me too.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Why should the spanish learn english when it will soon be eliminated anyway?
    If I moved to another country and they changed all the labels etc. to my language and forced all the people in the country to speak my language,
    why would I change? Spanish will soon be the first laguage of this country, just wait and see. Thanks Bush, appreciate it. No futher replys from me.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hell theres americans born ehre who cant speak as well as many that are overseas whom have never ever been over here and just learned the english language as a secondary.,.

im telling ya.,.. for real..,

its crazy,

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

YAh. I was searching for a part for my truck, ended up at a kragens in downtown san jose. like tha ghetto. go into kragens and for some reason this one has the paper number dispenser and you wait until they call your number...
    yah i realize this after he calls a few numbers but in spanish. I'm thinking its a damn good thing that i took spanish in high school otherwise i'd have no idea wtf is goin on here. so i grabbed a number and start trying to remember the spanish number system. i mean everyone in there was speaking spanish and i was the only white boy in there. felt like i was in mexico.. i just think he needed to be calling the numbers in english as well for the white minorites like myself. :rotfl: i wanted to tell him what was up that he needed to be calling the numbers in english, but it didn't look like i had a lot of support in there. :rotfl:
    ah well i guess thats what i get in 'san jose' eh.

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

last i checked, this country had no official language.
    you'll find that most countries are multilingual...... their language as well as english.
    maybe some of us are just a bit too stubborn cocky and jingoistic to open our eyes

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Umm no......................... :deal:

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i see you have an excellent grip on the dialect.... but i dont understand what you're saying.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'm pretty sure you don't want to go rounds with me when it concerns the language, it'll be like arming yourself with a pocket knife in an artillery duel.

It's in the way you throw words around trying to paint some of us as close minded. You see, some of us deal with non-English speakers a lot. It's not a big thing for me since I've been dealing with them for a few years now, but it's the whole motivation and attitude of most of these people that rub us wrong.

Way back when, when immigrants arrived on our shores, English was the primary language spoken in this country. They knew that if they were to assimilate into society, they would have to learn how to communicate. This was even true for those that ventured out into the frontier during those early days. Those people either learned to speak the language of the natives, or each party communicated in sign language; but they found ways to communicate.

Today, and a newspaper article that appeared the other day in the rag published where I used to live in California had this as a topic. A lot of the new immigrants to our lovely land refuse to learn the language. In fact, several people interviewed in that article stated that they are not attracted to stores where there are no Spanish speaking employees.

Where I live now, and this is where I grew up, twenty years ago, you could not find a Mexican store, nor could you hardly find a Mexican that could not speak English. These days, because some big money company came to town and they actively recruit from these immigrants, we have Mexican stores, which is no big deal cause they have some cool stuff, but we also have a large population that is non-English speaking. The one thing I have noticed about the vast majority of these non-English speakers is that they have one thing in common, and that is they are here illegally. On top of that, the ones that not speak English, and are here illegally also either have no driver's licenses (that's how we catch most of them), or they have fake identification.

Unlike the days of old, these new immigrants have no desire to assimilate into society. They give off the impression that they want things their way all the way. That's not the way it works fortunately.

16. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

in my area, N.E. Phila... its the russians... everywhere. Billboards in russian, stores, TV stations etc.

i guess it doesnt bother me as much, and the people i deal with are, on average, very friendly.

My mother came over, on a boat, 40 some odd years ago. and at some point every family immigrated in, i just dont see the lack of transition you must see.

17. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

You dont understand because you dont live far enough south. In my hometown the population is 60% hispanic and bubba is right (even though he is a yankee :shame: , many of them dont integrate. I highly doubt the russian issue even begins to comepare to the mexicans down here.

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hell, i went into Wal-mart the other day and asked a sales person for help....she gave me the nastiest assed look for speaking to her in english and walked away.......WTF is up that?

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Call me a Yankee again BOY and I'll be demanding satisfaction......................... :deal:

:flipoff:

20. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Living in Boulder.... we have immigrants from everywhere

I work with a couple of Nepali guys. I work at a Saefway (grocery store) and they are baggers. They don't speak english well but they are always asking questions on what words mean etc. and they want to become U.S. citizens. So anyways, i'm friendly with one of them so he invited me over his place last night. And hiim, his wife and I ended up talking for about 4 hours straight, and let me tell you these guys work there ass off, just to live here. Both him and his wife work about 12 hours every day (two jobs) making about $7 an hour. And any money left over after bills basically just gets sent back to their families in Nepal. I have alot of respect for them.

On the OTHER hand...

When someone is coming through my line and they look Mexican, and when I say hi, they don't say anything back....I automatically cash out the sale as food stamps, before they even try to utter "food tamps". I haven't been wrong yet :rolleyes: And wow, talk about LOUD, if there's a spanish speaking family in the store (we're talking large families here) you can hear them halfway across the store because they're yelling at eachb other in spanish. These people I do NOT have respect for. If they can't respect others by being civil in public, or at least knowing how to read the list of foods that are acceptable for them to buy under our welfare system, then no I will not have respect for them.

:xmas: