Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rant (with advice needed towards the bottom)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by az-k5, Mar 18, 2005.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Sorry it is a little long, but I am a little offended by my neighboors request (underlined at the bottom for speed reading), I would like a bit of advice but admitidly this is mainly a rant.

Okay, so there was a nice old man (who's wife had passed 15 years ago) that was living across the street from me (I live with my parents). He had built the house for his family (13 kids), when he was young. Lived there most of his adult life. Well the house got to be to big as he aged, and he decided to sell it (4 bedroom 3 bath, 2 great rooms, a 14 seat dining room, large kitchen and the house is on an acre of horse property centered in phoenix). Well he sells it for $300 (easily worth $450) to a young couple with some newborn twins. The people are nice and the spruce it up (more like a little modernizing) house looks great. They don'y mind my wrenching habbit (there is metal fab, or auto repair, or wood work every sat/sun, starts around 10am and shuts down around 8pm + some weekday evenings). Well the wife is a realtor (and now the problems begin). She found another house in her old neighborhood and bought it. Well in the last week the house across the street is completely redone, looks awsome (I wonder if this was the plan all along) and now it is for sale for $599. The old man who owned it specified (never put it in writing though) that he did not want to sell it to anybody that was trying to make a buck. So I am outside getting my steering to work lock to lock and the husband comes over and asks "while we are showing the house can you please park your truck somewhere else?" This is when I became offended. He said that the other realtor came to look at it and said that their client would be interested "exept for that one truck across the street" (mine). Obviously I won't be moving the thing. I just don't see it as feasable for the potential new neighbors to move in without knowing about our house. What happens after they move in and the weekend wrenching hasn't stopped for 2 months solid? (we have NO HOA, or any special rules other than the current city laws).

[end rant]

How should I handle this situation? I was thinking of having a buggy/truggy BBQ this weekend and have a ramp off/flex challange in the front yard. Should I tell them to f-off or go pound sand? What would you do.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Tell ya what I'll be by with Wimpy. You can borrow her for a couple of days. We'll flatten the tires and or put her up on jackstands or whatever. Or even better we'll truck over my old Corvair pickup with all the misc. body parts in the bed. Oh, by the way, the body has at least 4 different colored panels.

That's what I think.

I hate self righteous bastard folks.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

On the funny side: get some big high water bib overauls, red neckerchief and black out some of your teeth with a marker. The drive over in your rig when they are showing the house and introduce yerself with a big La Cuckaracha air horn.

On the serious side: Have they been good neighbors? Is it such a big deal to swallow your pride for a day and return the favor?

You'll have to decide. At least the guy came over and asked directly. You can always go over, knock on his front door and tell him you felt insulted by it. Better to get it out in the open before it becomes a block war.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Post a LARGE sign on your truck, telling the world what you were asked to do!!!

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

No HOA , do as you want .

The truck isn't ugly , as a matter of fact we are the next trendy thing , and regular people will start wearing truggy TV hats and Truggy TV window stickers and then the host of Truggy TV will lament that he has no privacy anymore , and then there will be Truggy TV spinoffs and build offs and then your neighbors will like the truck after all :whistle:

I seriously would leave your truck there .

Thats exactly why I love county , I have to pay for trash pickup , but no one says crap about the 3 trucks in my front yard ......except the wifey :grin:

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'd leave it. And if the neighbor pushes the issue, politely tell him you don't feel right presenting a "picture" that's not complete, and you feel your neighborhood should be represented "as-is" to a potential buyer.
    If the push continues, firmly tell him you're not breaking any rules or laws, therefore what you do with your property is your business.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You could say:

"If you'll loan me your driveway, I won't park it in front of my house."

Or..."If I have to do something to help you sell it, I'd like some of the profit."

In all seriousness, if you're not violating any town codes or laws, you can consider moving it, but you're under absolutely zero obligation to actually do it. If the truck is going to be there when a new owner has the house, it should be there when they look at the house.

I have that line ready for the guy who bought the house next door. If he ever complains about the two upper side windows being mismatched, or the house only being primered around the new window and certain cracks on the siding, or the 20 yards of dirt on the side of the house, or the half demo'd driveway...I'm lucky enough to say "It was this way when you bought your house, you didn't have to buy..."

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That's absolutely right. If he's a jackass, screw him. If he's been an OK guy, why not. It also kind of depends on the neighborhood, are there more houses in that range around? Do you also have an acre (or anywhere near it), because if so I would have to ask why you park on the street anyway. But if your parking there is out of necessity and you keep a generally decent house, no reason to not just be who you are, and let the buyers see how it'll be.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

median value is 140's to the 250's (depending on lot size). This is an older neighborhood. Most of the neighboors are motor heads to. There is a t-bucket guy about 8 houses down, a VW guy 2 houses down, a model A guy next to the t-bucket guy, a boat guys on each corner, and a handful of dirtbike guys.

The guy is cool and all but I do not want to paint the wrong piture (leading to a snot nose new neighbor) that will lead me to more trouble than it is worth. We have no garage (just a carport). My biggest worry is getting some picky person across the street calling the city every weekend I am working. Then I will have to prove I don't run a business (wich I don't), they then inventory my tools (to compare them to a shop), then tell me how to keep my driveway and when I am allowed to wrench. We don't have any cars on blocks, j or anything abandoned but my rig and my dads truck are in the street (no room elsewhere). For vehicles we have a huge crew cab, my dads work F150 (with ladder rack), our 18 ft camping trailer (in driveway), my sisters grand am, and my K5. We don't block anybody or anytihng like that. I am also home base for most of my buddy's projects (don't store them but do most of the work here). I don't have a side lot, or even an RV gate (crappy alley design). I just want to avoid hassle with the new neighbors. I am also worried that any type of person that will pay that price in this area is going to be nieve. I have lived in this house for 20 years. There has never been a problem and we have had some real POS autos (all running, just ugly). This is how the whole are opperates, just be curtious (as far as times, and mess) and nobody complains. I have seen what happens when the city comes (it sucks royally) and I am not willing to deal with it.

Maybe I wil get lucky and a rock crawler guy will move in :grin: (not likely)

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd double check the bylaws, and if all is cool then tell the neighbor to 'go away'...

Rene

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I think there was a possible money making opportunity here......

12. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When the house next door to me was on the market, potential buyers were coming and going now and then, but the ones I knew were gong to buy it did so when I was building my exhaust for the big-block in the Suburban. Chop saw wailing, welder going, just a typical fab scene going on. They ended up buying the house even after seeing that. At that point I knew just about anything I do is ok. Frankly, I think it keeps the snooties out if they are so easily offended by a vehicle. If it's registered and legal, they can't say sh!t.

Paint the ****er orange so it's harder to miss.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd have too tell him "That's pretty disshonest to hide anything from possible buyers, so no sir, I will not do anything different from what I do day from day". And I'd tell him/her that you are offended by the asking anything like that !!!

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Pick up a different, yet novel, hobby

Like swordfighting

Grab a couple of bokkens and lay waste to the street

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's what I would do.................

I would first suggest he go find a cattle prod, preferably one that has fully charged batteries and after he finds said prod, tell him to have carnal knowledge of said prod.

Then, on the day that he is showing the house, kindly invite several of your buddies over, preferably ones that have some really capable, street legal wheeling rigs because you have some "work" on your rig that you need "help" with. Not too many, just enough to make a good showing.

I'd say outside of Desert Rat's suggestion, this would be the next best path..... :D

16. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That would actually be illegal over here. They have asked to clearout while they show the house. That means they percieve you as a 'problem neighbour'. We have to declare such 'problems' now.

If new people move in and then find out they've got a 'truck guy' across the street and they didn't want to move into an area like that they'll be really pissed. Not fair on them really.
    I think you should just carry on doing what you're doing so everyone knows what the situation is.
    If I moved into a really quiet neighbourhood and then find out that the crack dealing gang bangers next door were actually on holiday at Disneyworld when I viewed the property, and now I have to live in hell, I'd be really pissed!!!
    Mind you, if I moved in and found I had a CK5er next door (with a good machine shop).........:grin:

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

A couple of things come to mind:

1. Disclosure - Every time I've sold a house (in CA) I had to fill out forms that documented all sorts of things I was aware of that were wrong with the house, and also if there were any problems with the neighbors, conflicts, etc. It was all part of the legal process of defining what the "new" owner should expect. Misrepresenting ANY of that is grounds for a lawsuit by the new owner against the seller.

2. Helping the seller paint an "unrealistic" image of the neighborhood works against you in the long run. Your "new" neighbor is going to feel like he/she got scammed when they move in and suddenly there's noise and trucks that they'd never seen before. If they feel bitter about it, you can be sure they'll be calling "Code Enforcement" looking for any excuse to get you and your trucks cited....

Ultimately, I think it's better (for you and the other neighbors) to represent what is "real" about the neighborhood, and let the seller who's out to make a quick buck....worry about how to "spin" their sales pitch. You gain nothing by accomodating the seller, but you certainly may end up with a lot more headaches in the future if you get a disgruntled new neighbor....

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

If you cant fit it in the garadge, i wouldnt go move it far away or anything. Mabey park it on the side if you have room, but dont break your ass to please him. Was he cool about it? If he was cool about it, and its not an inconveinience to you, i would. But if you have no where else to put the thing, and you just cant, mabey offer to cover it up with a cover or something if he pays half?

But if you cant do it, you cant do it, and thats it. Unless he has a better idea. :confused: I would meet him halfway if possible. If its not possible and he dosent understand, i wouldnt worry, because its him who has the problem then, not you. Being cool can make life easy, sometimes though. Just a thought, Jacob:)

19. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

So is it parked now where its going to be parked after the new people move in? Is it the only place at your house you can park it? If so I wouldnt move it.

20. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I vote for telling him to go pound sand.

If you were buying a house, would you want the owners to go around and clean up the neighborhood for a day?

It's that do to others what you would have done to you thing.

-Chris