Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I spent my Blazer upgrades funds on Christmas gifts for the family, it's okay, I only had $600.00 saved up, not too hard to save it up again. Yesterday found out the head gasket was bad in the daily driver (98 Dodge Stratus), so made the call, and got the okay for a loan from the first national bank of mom. Part of the loan agreement is that it gets repaired at the Chrysler dealership. Well, this morning, I got awoken by a phone call from the Chrysler dealership telling me that the head is pitted beown the point of being plained. So it needs a new head, and that the exhaust manifold is cracked. So now I'm looking at $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's going to take me fawkin forever to save up for the mods I want for the K5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that will teach you to buy a dodge /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif sorry to hear about that

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, it's been a good car. But Chrysler products are expencive to repair !!!!!!! I've got too much $$$$$$ in it to just say **** it. Think I might sell it after it's fixed and look for a Chevy Beretta for a dailey driver !!!!!!!!!!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What motor do you have? My '94 Intrepid has a 3.1 I think... Hopefully I don't have to look forward to this also...

That sucks about the fundage... Buying a house, I know how it feels to be broke more than not...

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

2.4 4cly

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I think I would consider looking at the parts myself. What a dealership calls repairable or fixable is sometimes beyond the realms of reality. If the part is not in "new" shape they want to replace it. It may be usuable but not factory reusuable, I go through the same crap with my Harley's. The dealer wants to replace a part if it has a scratch on it even though it will not affect the performance of the part.

John

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

2G for a head and an exhuast manifold seems a little steep to me...is the condition that it MUST be fixed by a dealership negotiable? That's pretty easy work on a 4cyl., something you may be able to tackle yourself and save a grand.

8. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

you might want to talk to your mom about letting you get some different repair quotes from some different shops, especially if she is going to front the money, it would help you and her both out, i know it sucks dude, every time i think i am going to be able to start modifying something, something else comes up and takes the money /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

It might not be worth much....but I wouldn't own Mopar anything.....too many problems. I was working in a shop here and fixing anything mopar was a problem......heads and tranny's especially. Sounds like a normal problem for a stratus. If I were you, I'd take the head from the dealer and take it to a machine shop and ask their opinion. We had a lot of jobs come through the shop that the dealer said were unfixable, when the heads went to the machine shop.......they said the dealer was smoking crack. They machined them, sent them back and vwola!!!!! they were just fine. @ 6 neans, 3 stratus', and 1 intrepid that I remember. Not all of them were fixable, but most were. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But Chrysler products are expencive to repair !!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! We have a 99 ram 3500 2wd and a wheel bearing in the front was going out... So we get a call from the dealership asking for $7200 for a new rotor and spindle /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

We went down there and they told us that the last guy that packed the wheel bearings used the wrong grease and the bearing welded itself to the spindle so it's not under waranty and we have to pay for it... So we went to the glove box and pulled out the receipt for the last wheel bearing packing and who's name is on the upper right side? Why the name and logo of the dodge dealership of course! So we got a free repair /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know that doesn't help but it just goes to show how much they markup prices... 7200 bucks for a spindle rotor and 2 bearings???

Also curious, why is the head pitted? Did something get into the cylinder or combustion chamber?

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

How the hell does a head get pitted? I know it can warp!

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

You can never FIX a Mopar, you can only work on it. A lot.

13. chevyracing

[​IMG] to Mopar bashers.

Mopars are good vehicles. I have seen all of the auto makers make some mistakes along the way. If you want to run some comparisons, compare the bottom end of a Mopar rotating assembly to the bottom end of a chevy's. Remember this too, Mopar made the hemi. I like Chevy's because they are less expensive to build, and there are reasons for that.

John

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Mopar fanatics need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

What a dealership calls repairable or fixable is sometimes beyond the realms of reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

A dealer's job is to repair or replace - to "like-new" condition.
    They HAVE to make sure the repair work is with-in the factory's tolerances, that is what they get paid to do, after-all. The factory's tolerances are extreamly tight (as of late), so it doesn't leave much room to play with.

The factory, a billion doller company , with millions invested in enginering - Knows whats O.K. and whats not. At-least as far as it concerns... Emissions, Safty, Warranty, Liability, Ect...(you get the point). The factory, the people who built the thing, know more about it, than anyone else.(don't undermine- that)

The Dealer (and it's employees) are not actualy a part of the Factory. They are independent. But... If the dealership expects to get paid for warrantly claims - the repair work MUST meet factory specs.

That - (as-far-as the Techs go) put them in a mind-set. A mind-set that dictates all-of thier repair work, regardless of who is paying for it.

Read into it - what you will.
    I'm not saying the cyl head can be repaird, and I'm not saying it can't. You - as the owner, make the final decision. You MUST understand, in-detail, of what "should" and "shouldn't" be done, as-well as the possibl out-comes.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No kidding! We have a 99 ram 3500 2wd and a wheel bearing in the front was going out... So we get a call from the dealership asking for $7200 for a new rotor and spindle .

We went down there and they told us that the last guy that packed the wheel bearings used the wrong grease and the bearing welded itself to the spindle so it's not under waranty and we have to pay for it... So we went to the glove box and pulled out the receipt for the last wheel bearing packing and who's name is on the upper right side? Why the name and logo of the dodge dealership of course! So we got a free repair

I know that doesn't help but it just goes to show how much they markup prices... 7200 bucks for a spindle rotor and 2 bearings???

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Man, makes me glad I don't own, nor ever have owned, a Mopar product vehicle!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

But again, brand preferences aside, that is just pure highway robbery when a dealer is quoting prices like that for simple parts!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I went to have a look at it so I could see why it's going to cost me so much. The back side of the head near #4 cyclender has a track of pits from the oil passage to next ta the exhaust port. My thinking is the crack in the exhaust manifold had something to do with it sence it's right there also. Some of the pits are pretty deep. My loan officer at the first national bank of mom is pretty firm about it being done at the dealership. So it's the only way it's gonna get fixed. I called around to other shops, but all quoted me simular, if not higher prices. My loan officer has seen meny motors I've built, but still has no faith in my abilitys, oh well . /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. chevyracing

No kidding! We have a 99 ram 3500 2wd and a wheel bearing in the front was going out... So we get a call from the dealership asking for $7200 for a new rotor and spindle .

We went down there and they told us that the last guy that packed the wheel bearings used the wrong grease and the bearing welded itself to the spindle so it's not under waranty and we have to pay for it... So we went to the glove box and pulled out the receipt for the last wheel bearing packing and who's name is on the upper right side? Why the name and logo of the dodge dealership of course! So we got a free repair

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity I am going to call the dealer here and see how much that job would cost out here. I know when I had my 94 2500 that the front bearings were 360 bucks. That was because the bearings and hub were a one piece deal. (4x4) I just happen to have a 99 3500 and may have to see what's up with that. Mine is a 4x4 but I will tell them I need the parts for a 2x4.

19. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Can you get another head out of a junkyard, have it redone, and take it to them to fix? Don't know if dealerships will do that, but it'll save you some cash.

BTW, I know how you feel. I had a car that was paid off and was saving for work on my 79 Bandit TA. I went out and bought a 92 Yukon and sold the paid-off car. I've been spending all my cash on my Yukon trying to fix it and the Bandit is not running anymore. Can't afford to buy a new carb for it now!