Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rant

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Jan 6, 2004.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

So my trans (t350) has been very unhappiy lately, after a fluid /filter change last week it was working better then ever, till I tried to go to work yesterday. Goes down the road fine but 0-5 takes mph about 2 minutes, made the 21 mile drive home on surface streets only stopping twice. So I get my rebuild kit monday before I leave work 100$ and a rebuild book 20$, Limp the truck home and into the garage where I tore the trans out of it in about hour and 10-15 minutes. Hung it with the cherry picker to drain over night. Went out at 730 this morning (-16 wind chill today btw) Fired up the torpedo and tore the trans down, no big deal, pump is wasted, as is the direct drive pressure plate, and the cusion spring is missing from the foward clutch pack. And the clutches are no longer flat they were conical, I will have to post some pictures, only the intermedate clutchs had any material on them Go get parts and power wash the case and get lunch 81$. Get home fire the torpedo back up and wait for the gargae to temp to get above 20. So now its about 3:00 its 32 degrees in my garage and I have new parts and clean parts. I build my clutch packs, clean every thing again, and assemble the new pump and the torpedo runs out of propane . Now I try to assmble the trans but for some reason I cant get the low/reverse clutch pack retaining snap ring in to the case, it wont even come close to the grove so I took it apart and put it back together utterley frustraited and confused, Then at about 6:30 long after the trans shop is closed and I cannot call and tell them to lick my............ I realize the problem while blankly stareing at the manual, "NOTE: this kit is for use with code xa transmissions, xx uses a thinner clutch disk in the low reverseassembly /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I figured the trans shop knew what I needed i guess not, think they are gonna take back a cluch set thats soaked in trans fluid and give me the right one I doubt that. Sorry for so long I just needed to vent.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't feel too bad. My first rebuild resulted in a cracked case. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Perhaps you can buy JUST the low/reverse clutches. Either that or the trans shop has some lying around. Not sure about low and reverse, but typically there are variations in how many frictions are used in each assembly, perhaps they'll have some spares from that.

I've got a simple rule for working in cold whether. If it's under 32*, I don't work. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"I've got a simple rule for working in cold whether. If it's under 32*, I don't work."

I try not to, but Im not about to waste pto when its this cold, and be off for a week or more waiting for it to get warm. I wish I had just taken it to the trans shop, would have been easier and almost worth the $$$$

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

think of it this way.... the best lessons learned, are learned the hard way.. you now know more about that transmission than someone else, and that knowledge may be able to help someone else down the road when they run into the snapring fit issue.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm partially kidding, I know not everyone has the luxury of waiting. But if it's snowing (as opposed to raining) working with numb fingers just isn't fun.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

man that sucks ass.everything always breaks in the winter. speaking of winter,I HATE IT. there isn't one damn thing about i like. torpedo heaters are a laugh , but better than nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif