Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raped my rubber!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 28, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 hours per tire /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

looks good there tim what did you use?

too bad you dident do that befor the real truck callenge. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used a tire groover, I borrowed it from a friend. Pretty much the same 125 watt tire groover everyone uses.

Only reason I didn't do it before RTC is that I didn't think it would be allowed. Once you groove a tire it is no longer DOT legal so I figured that would be a no-no.

I got there and guys had grooved tires and beadlocks and they said it was fine. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh well, at least one of the guys I beat had beadlocks.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Very nice, I love the pattern you ended up with!

BTW is that a chain limiting strap I see?

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I kind of like that, looks a lot better than the typical straight across cutting people do.

I was thinking about only grooving the big center lugs and then just splitting (siping) the smaller ones. What do you think?

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

oh i see, yeah a "real" truck chalange with non road legal trucks ah well. i liked the way you got up the hill /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW is that a chain limiting strap I see?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was an emergency thing we did to keep the driveshaft we hacked together working for the last half of real truck challenge.

It's coming off.

But good eye.

We had to restrict the pumpkin to ZERO droop in order to prevent the driveshaft from binding. All we had left of the CV to throw together was the rear yoke which was a 1350. We ground the crap out of it and threw it in and it lasted through both the rock crawl and the entire buzzard's roost before breaking at the very end.

I am probably going to have to run a limit strap with my new driveshaft but it will probably not all that necessary. I do want to ensure I never break another driveshaft from bottoming out the CV.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

that should almost be a crime...U pay all that money for a tire only to end up cutting half of it off /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but it looks really cool and should help a TON on rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif very nice /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    by the way how long did it take??

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

it took him 3 hrs per tire.
    Looks great Tim /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

3 hours per tire.

I paid $225 for all four tires and they're damn near bald. Grooving was the only way I can make them last another season because I can't afford another set right now.

12. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

DAMN!!! I thought those where pretty new tires...then that looks even better!! esp. for the price u paid!! I prolly woulda gotten one and a half tires done b4 I said F-it...im too lazy to spend that much time on something like tires /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking about only grooving the big center lugs and then just splitting (siping) the smaller ones. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd do it just the reverse. Sipe the inner blocks (what you roll on the most when on pavement) and groove the outers.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I had a siping tool I'd do all of the lugs, inners and outers, and groove the outers.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 hours per tire /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I like the way those turned out. I'm thinking hard about having the center lugs of my Hawg's groved. I'll leave the outers alone. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. CyberSniper

These tires will only see enough street to get to the trail.

On 33s at least, there are some small blocks on the center tread. I was just going to sipe them. Then the biggest blocks on the center tread split them up with a 1/4" bit.

I didn't plan on cutting the outer lugs at all. They seem to chunk pretty easy as it is. Most of the terrain around here is mud with roots in it and the bottom is usually sharp rocks (basalt).

I might consider doing something like Tim did on the outer lugs, but I don't know.

My baldest tire has 3/8" of tread on it.

17. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    If I had a siping tool I'd do all of the lugs, inners and outers, and groove the outers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the "groover" I think you do you can just flip the blade around and sipe with the other side.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That would take forever. They make powered cutting tools for cutting sipes that would work far better.

The grooving was definitely worth it. Just messing around in the yard in 2wd, it will throw some serious roosts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Z3PR - I think cutting Hawgs would bring them around to Swamper level traction with better wear, but thier still a biut hard for rocks (all of that was unbased opinion)

TIM - If you want to sipe, try the carpet knife mehtod, it rocks hard, I've done a set of 36's and a set of 38's

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Z3PR - I think cutting Hawgs would bring them around to Swamper level traction with better wear, but thier still a biut hard for rocks (all of that was unbased opinion)

[/ QUOTE ]Swamper level of traction ??? I honest belive Ground Hawg's have better traction then certin models of swampers for certin tipes of wheeling. Are they better then Boggers in the mud, not hardly, but they do pretty good in the mud. By the way, I'm not really into rocks. I don't mind the smaller stuff, but once you get into the 3+ rated trails, I'll ride with someone who doesn't mind bashing up thier rig. I'm building more for mud and simple trails.