Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ratchet shifters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Apr 8, 2004.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

does anyone use a ratchet shifter i in their k5? and does anyone have pics of them mounted. and what one did you use to work well while mounted way down on the floor? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have a B&M Mega shifter, the light truck version. It is ratchet in the 1,2,3,4. mounts to the floor well, works awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Depends on what you want to do. I hate them. Problem is, when doing anything more than "trail running" (and sometimes even then) you sometimes (or frequently in my case) find yourself needing to go from low to reverse directly and quickly. This might be for "rocking" or getting off a high center, or even to avoid an "endo" or worse. For that reason, I avoid all ratchet shifters AND reverse lock out. In fact, my shifter has been (or rather was in the process of being) modified to provide a "park lock out" to keep from accidentally overshooting reverse. But, I’ve since decided to switch to an Art Carr true gate shifter to avoid missed shifts in the future.

In any case, IMO, ratchet shifters and reverse lock outs belong on the drag strip where there was a need which led to the development of those technologies. The cons for off-road use dramatically outweigh the very limited (IMO) benefits...

4. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

I also use the truck version B&M Mega shifter. I have had no problems and installation was pretty easy. My rig is my daily driver and does not ever get used hard off road. I can see the point Russ just made and agree. If you had to go from reverse to first quickly, or the other way, you would be in trouble.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a B@M prostick in my truck. I built a 3" riser for it out of steel. Like baddog said though, Most have a reverse lock out(required for most forms of sanctioned racing) and it oftens pisses me off!! I plan on doing some grinding on the gate to allow it to easily go back and forth. My shift gate is replaceable. Most ratchet shifters don't have a gate you can screw with.

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

This is a Hurst V-Matic 2 shifter if this helps.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bill

7. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a B&M Mega shifter, the light truck version. It is ratchet in the 1,2,3,4. mounts to the floor well, works awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one too. It is just great. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a B@M prostick in my truck. I built a 3" riser for it out of steel. Like baddog said though, Most have a reverse lock out(required for most forms of sanctioned racing) and it oftens pisses me off!! I plan on doing some grinding on the gate to allow it to easily go back and forth. My shift gate is replaceable. Most ratchet shifters don't have a gate you can screw with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these shifters and I took a grinder to the reverse lock out portion on the gate. I have a reverse VB also and the shifter works very nicely now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I will agree with Russ to a point. I have used a rachet style shifter wheeling for about 8 years now so I'm used to its operation. But YOU need to be familiar with your trucks controls before you go into any offroad situation, if your not comfortable with any part of the truck you need to change it. I was not opposed to the rachet style shifter.............until a trip to Moab and these things they call "rocks" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not anything like rain and mud /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. I would rethink the install if I were just starting out with it in that terrain. I did however start to get the feel for it in most of the situations I got myself into after the second day of wheeling.

So I guess the short answer is get opinions then see whats right for you and your area. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got the light truck mege shifter-B&M too and once you get used to it it's great but as has been said, if you need to rock your truck it's a bit tricky. The only other down side to them that I don't like that no one else has mentioned (so maybe mines not working right!) is that you can ratchet from low thru to neutral /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif which is a pain in the .... It would be better if N was locked out like reverse is. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif