Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rather simple rear brake question (drum removal)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Mar 17, 2003.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I have removed the brakes on my truck before but now I have a axle that I got from a 1976 suburban on there. It is still a 12 bolt because I counted. However instead of a small hole in the bottom that I can just stick a screwdriver in and release the brakes so that the drum comes offf I seem to have two holes at the 2 and 9 or 10 O-clock position. These show me know signs of a star screw that I can loosen. Is there something that I am missing?

summitXMK

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

it almost sounds as if they are up side down (backing plates) the holes for adjusting should be in the apprx 5 and 7 positon...anyways if you need to get the drum off just do what we do at the tire shop..get a hamer and tap it off from behind...don't beat it to death, but start on the left side then the right, top, bottom, and repeat..it will work its self off..and not always but some times if you drive it kinda hard in reverse and nail the brakes, this will losen the pads up..

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

allright I will try that one. So upside down that sounds bad! I will try that hammer setup again. although I already have but hey maybe I only need a bigger hammer. Shouldn't there still be a star screw in there that I can turn? Also I am looking in my chilton and it lists several wagner brakes do you know which ones I have?

Thanks again for the infor.

SummitXMK

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

knockout could be on face of drum, check there

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Agree with R72K5. I just did it this past weekend. There are two straight across from each other.

6. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your help. The bigger hammer theory worked!!
    I will check on the drum tonight when I get home.

summitXMK

7. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

get a really big hammer and knock the hell out of it. if that don't work hit it again...and again...etc... hehe J\k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif