Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rather Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Jan 2, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Now at most engine speeds above an idle the truck is pushing oil out the top of the dipstick tube. The tube is on the pass side and the engine is out of an 89 truck. It coated the pass side of the engine, headers, frame, and everything with a coat of oil. Ive replaced the PCV valve and made sure the dipstick is all the way in the tube. What else could be causing it to do this? It pushed a quart of oil out in around 2.5miles. WHat can i check now?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Compression...? Sounds like serious blow-by.

Can you pull the filler cap while it is running? See if it has excessive pressure.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like big time blowby, did it just start doing this?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Remove the oil fill cap while the engine is running. I'll be that you'll be able to feel a breeze coming out of the hole. That breeze is caused by compressed air leaking past the rings. That's blowby and it pressurizes the crankcase. If it's blowby, the only cure is a rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh it just started. well actually last weekend it did it but the pcv valve was stickin up some, so i figured that was it. And it didnt do it since. Well it did it today pretty bad. Ok, lemme go check the oil cap breeze and we'll see *crosses fingers*

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh you can feel a breeze out the fill plug /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. 2Dogs

Compare with someone elses before you do anything too drastic or bettert yet do a compression test on all 8 (or until you find one under 100psi).

Have you ever pulled the filler off while it's been running - any difference?

I wonder if you have a broken ring or something like that do to your comment about it not being consistent.....

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh it is anything but consistent, before today last time it did it was Sunday, and that was after about 30-40 mins of 65mph driving and it was just about 1/4 of a quart or so. But i noticed the PCV valve was up some so i thought it was coming out there. Today i get in it drove to home depot (30 mins away) went across the highway to lowes then back across the highway to home depot. Got back in the truck and only about 5 mins away from home looked in the rear view and saw a few wisps of smoke, by the time i got home it was BAD smoke, and popped the hood (after 1st looking for flames) and EVERYTHING on the pass side of the engine was covered in oil, and in about a minute a few puddles of oil were under it. But i noticed that when i went outside to take off filler plug to see if that made a diff that the drivers side exhaust (true dual no x-over) has a little skip in it at idle. Give it any gas at all and it is fine. Also the pcv valve has vacuum to it, and as far as removing the filler and it making a diff, i didnt rev it up w/out that on there so im not sure, but u could see fumes/steam/smoke (something) coming out of the filler hole. Why the he|| does it do it now 4 (basically 3) days b4 back to school, it couldnt do it at the begining of break where i had nothing to do and could possibly fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I have never rebuilt an engine but replacing a piston ring, is that a pull the motor type deal /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif or a pull the intake manifold and the heads? If only i had the $$$ to go ahead and get the dang 502 lol.

9. 2Dogs

Replacing rings is done from the bottom. And I don't think it can be done in the truck..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll take a 502 also - maybe we can get a discount for 2... lol

Keep this post at the top - there are some great chevy mechs on this site and they will probably have soem suggestions.

One thing you might try - GM has some carbon remover that you use on a running engine, let it set, run some more,...procedure. If this is being caused by excess crap in the combustion chamber it might help.

GM guys - help me out here.

10. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Replacing rings is done from the bottom. And I don't think it can be done in the truck

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see how it could be done from the bottom. Only two pistons will come out through the bottom.

You would have to pull the heads and the oil pan to do it. (loosen the rod caps and slide the piston through the top, careful not to scratch the crank with the rod bolts) I dont see why it couldnt be done in the truck, but it probably wouldnt be too fun.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh unfortunately i doubt theyd give a discount big enough for me to afford it. Im lookin at either this $1500 dollar 350 at pace or the $2219 350HO at pace. MAybe a cheap junkyard engine or the rebuild. But i rebuild mine stick it back in, and hafta pull it to do something else /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Stick a junkyard engine in and hafta do the same. Only more or less sure fire is a crate engine, but unfortunately its the matter of cash. Cheap 502 would be nice, but that aint happening lol.

Is there some other valve or hose that could be clogged somebody? I have never heard of this happening before, i mean even if u dont get oil out the top u pull the dipstick and all the way up to the handle is coated. its just odd as crap the way it comes and goes......it could be fine or it could have just decided to quit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh im an idiot and would probably scratch it. With this happening, this blow-by, is it killing the engine? Or is it just pushing oil out? i mean as a TEMPORARY and i mean month max till i can improve $$$ funds, could i put on, in place of a oil fill cap, a breather? would that possibly relieve the pressure and atleast keep it from spittin all the oil out? Or is running it slowly killing it?

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want a temporary fix, pour in some RESTORE, I used it to squeeze another year out of my engines.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 2Dogs

Yeah, Restore and 50wt oil will get you by.

15. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It will kill the engine when it runs out of oil. Most likely it would probably blow oil out of the breather too. But it might be worth a try. Also dont forget oil on exhaust=possible fire.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhhhh with that much pressure and coming on that quick I wonder if you had a lean out and burned a hole though a piston. Do a compression test and see if you have a dead cylinder.

17. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

not trying to make anyone sound dumb here but is there ANY chance that you may have overfilled it with oil? I knew a guy who started to to change his oil, got sidetracked, changed the oil and dumped fresh oil in, forgetting to drain the old, yeah he was a couple tacos short a combination plate but we all have our moments

18. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Good point. Overfilling it with oil can cause pressure buildup.

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

no chance on the overfilling, atleast not by 5 quarts. It leaks some about a half quart every 2 weeks so i had put about that in on eh, monday, and so if it was over it wasnt by much.

20. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Dude its thrashed You can try two quarts of smoke b gone or stop smoke or whatever the honey looking really thick crap is and two quarts of 50 wt oil and this will get you by a few more weeks but not indeffinetly. I burnt a valve in a v6 in my first monte and it toasted it so bad it burnt the ring landings out of the piston. This got me buy for about three months ill i got the $$$ to rebuild it completely. Sorry bout the bad news!!! Good Luck.