Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ratio change question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've decided for now that I am just going to change the gears in the D44/12B from the stock 3.07's to 4.10's...Now, for the 2 questions, (1)since they are stock(gears, seals, axles, etc.)should I do a complete rebuild (master kit), or can I get away with just changing the ring and pinion. (2)How hard would this be to do themselves, or should I have someone else do this? I am mechanically inclined, just that I've never dealt with differentials before.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would say, if the truck has any kind of milage on it, i would rebuild now and get out of the way. If you don't have the right tools you shouldn't try it yourself.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

go with master install kits, that way everything is new and you don't have to take it apart again down the road when a bearing goes out. mudbogAD and I did a gear swap on his jimmy and it's some technical stuff, we had his grandpa help, he's been a porsche mechanic for like 39yrs so he's pretty smart. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Might as well overhaul the whole thing since its going to be apart, that way you know its going to be dependable. As for the R&P swap in a D44, I would never try this my self under any condition. It is very time consuming, you have to pull the carrier bearings and install shims until the backlash is correct, then do the pinion the same way. Big PITA!!! I just paid $180 in labor to install a new r&p in my D44 and It would have cost me that much in extra tools (pinion depth gauge, case spreader ect...) to do it my self.
    good luck
    Brent