Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ratio code for corperate 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by axxxman67, Jul 16, 2004.

1. axxxman67

axxxman67 Registered Member

I have an 84 K5 and I need to find the gear ratio for the rear axel. The code on the axel tube is BJ3 G341 1. I have looked everywhere for a source and have had no luck. I think it may be 3.08, but I need to know for sure. I would greatly appreciate any info on a source or if anyone could tell me if this is the code for a 3.08. I have had no luck.
    Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll need to get the codes out of a GM Parts manual for your year.

Haven't seen truck ones listed anywhere else. Haynes manuals did them for some GM cars, BUT the codes changed just about every year, so the Haynes wasn't right.

The easiest/best way to check ratio is pop the cover and look at the stamping on the ring gear. Even if you did deceipher the axle code, there is no guarantee, unless you are the original owner, that in the past 20 years someone hasn't swapped gears.

Allows you to change the diff fluid as well. I'd maybe make sure I could pull the fill plug before hand though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't know what the numbers on the axle tube mean. You can find a RPO code on a sticker in the glove box. Look HERE for rpo codes. As dyeager535 said, don't rely on the numbers to be correct as someone may have swapped some stuff out through the years. I always pull the cover and check the numbers stamped on the ring gear.