Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattle can paint job , got pics ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tuner-automotive, Jun 2, 2005.

1. tuner-automotive

tuner-automotive Registered Member

My paint is toast.
    PO did a driveway job with 1 coat of paint and no clear.
    Here in Oregon it rains ALL the time so the paint is faded in the drip channels BAD!
    Looks like the truck is wet all the time , LOL.
    Anyways i was thinking of painting it but dont have enough money for a REAL paint job .
    So I was thinking of rattle canning it until i save the money.
    Anybody have any pics of a sucessful rattle can job?

2. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Something to think about,we have a big weather issue here too.(Rust!!)So I did a spray bomb job and saved up and had the entire truck sprayed in Line-X spray on bedliner.Now I never have to get another paintjob cause its guaranteed FOREVER! Just my 2$ worth.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The problem with rattlecanning is that the cans aren't the best for the job. It's real hard to get it to lay even. If you have a garage to work in where you can control airflow and light it works out better.

Krylon's spray tips kind of suck. They're designed so idiots don't end up with runs instead of competent people being able to lay an even finish.

I'm painting the top half of my truck with Krylon's navy blue paint and the bottom half with two gallons of navy blue UV protected smooth Durabak. It's going to cost me the same amount as 5 quarts of decent single stage paint (clearcoat sucks if you ever want to do a touchup). Hopefully the Durabak will be here by next weekend.

The vehicle used to be GM Midnight blue (#29 I think?)... and then it faded... the Krylon is pretty close to what it looked originally, has a hint of purple in it I think. I don't know, I'm partially color blind. The top of it is still factory paint. I was trying to decide if I was going to rattle can it or not and if that blue would look alright.

[​IMG]

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I rattle canned mine because I knew I would be doing alot of touching up :D Mine came out good and even and I painted most of it outside in the hot sun with a breeze.If I ever paint the entire thing again it will be done indoors,outa the sun and wind.The color is Krylon flat tan from their camo line of paint.And the nozzles suck.I ended up using adjustable nozzles off of the self etching primer that I used.I didnt paint the hood cuz it had nice month old paint on it when I picked it up from my neighbor :p:

[​IMG]

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

6. tuner-automotive

what brand of white and was it rattle can clear coat?
    Can you wax a clear coat that is rattle can clear coat?

7. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

This is my hammarite driveway rattle can job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are a few more in my galary where you can see the black only. This paint covers small imperfections and is real easy to repair.
    These picts are from rubicon memorial weekend.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

rustolium the large can (professional?) gloss white and i think rustolium clear too, its not show quality, but you cant really see the imprefections unless your like 5 feet away, and i have no idea about wax

9. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I had some pics of rattlecan jobs, but I cant seem to find them. They were quite nice and you couldnt tell they were done with spray paint. The PO of my K5 rattlecanned it. It looks okay until the sun shines on it. It's wavy and uneven. You can tell he didnt spend much time on it. The color is a dark metallic green though which probably doesnt help. But I'm sure if you took your time and prepped it good a rattlecan job would look and hold up just fine.

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Heres one of mine. Sprayed it in 40 degree weather.
    [​IMG]

The Orange Blazer I at least painted in warmer weather, but never even sanded it. Just wiped the dirt off with that old blanket.
    [​IMG]

(shown dirty here)
    [​IMG]

11. tuner-automotive

thanx guys.
    I whish I could find out if a rattle can job with a rattle can clear coat is waxable?

12. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

I didnt rattle can my blazer but i did use tractor paint. I bought a gallon of gloss black, a gallon of primer, a gallon of thinner, latex gloves, face masks, tape, wet sand ( i never used anyway lol), and some sandpaper for 60 bucks. I just scruffed up the paint a little and then just sprayed it in my front yard with a cheap ass cambell hausfeld(sp?) gun from wal-mart and a 20 gallon air compressor. So far its been tuffer then nails and cheapo 84 cent wal-mart spray paint matches it for touch ups if they're needed.

Here it is the first time i took it out after painting it, actually it was its maiden voyage lol.

[​IMG]

Here it is like 5 months later... after probably 10-12 trips of mud on it... some of the times the mud stayed on for 2 weeks at a time and its still shiney lol.

[​IMG]

Its held up really good... even where ive hit trees and **** it just scuffs the paint.. and unlike spray paint it doesnt fade and kina disapear after a few months. the only places that its not sticking is where it was rusty and i just sprayed over it.