Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattle Can Paint Job

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TrcksR4ME, Feb 14, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

At one point I wanted to have a pretty truck with a neat paint job, now I am thinking about more serious offroading and dont want to waste my time if its gonna get boggered up anyways. I want it to look ok nonetheless-well one color at least lol, and the previous owner really fawked the paint kinda that small chips/bubbles look, and it is really hard to sand, clogs the paper real fast. So now im thining like a flat black rattle can job, that way it can be touched up easily. I know there must be some people who have gone down this road, what works best? I dont wanna go super el cheapo with the Home Depot .99 paint, so what would be a half way decent spray paint to use?
    ----------------------------
    '77K5, 402BB, TH350, NP203, d-44, 12 bolt--maybe a 14ff in the very near future!

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Home Depot Rustoleum Flat Black in a quart containter, and buy the cheap spray gun setup. Wont cost more than 50.00. That's what I did but my colors are desert storm.

Rob

3. CHVYPWR

CHVYPWR Registered Member

I painted an S-10 last summer using the $.89 Wal-Mart paint. That stuff covers great! The best "cheap" paint I've ever used, finishes alomst as good as Rustoleum!

4. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I use K-mart Dupli color flat black. Sprays great and is aobout 1.50 per can. Just wash you truck with some castrol superclean to remove all oil. Use a scotch pad to scuff up the paint so the new pain has something to stick to.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I painted my project vehicle with camo colors... body prep is everything... sand and wipe down with paint thinner or xleyne... then spray away... a few light coats...

6. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where did you get the desert storm color. I am assuming you mean the light sand/brown color

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I used 21 cans to paint my truck a ways back.... I bought the cheapest paint cans I could find..... sent the truck through the car wash and painted it...... $.79 a can... then Pep Girls had stickers of a skeleton tearing through the decal and bullet holes dripping blood. I put them on the truck... people pulled up next to me... I had 33"s and they looked up at me.. a kid with LONG hair (Mullet at the time) and a THICK Go-T... was funny to watch people talk to the other person in the car and then look at my truck while talking and watch their bottom jaw drop.....

Also rattle paint jobs are nice. I kept a paint can in the truck.. after trail riding I would just touch up spots... now I am gonna get a nice automotive paint... and paint the truck. If I scratch it ... oh well...... The paint can isnt bad but it does rub off after a while... or you lean up against it and it can rub off onto you.....at least that happened to me...

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/rootbreaker>Pics of buildup</a>78 Chevy 3/4 - 14" on 40"x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Yeah, its a cheap solution...for now, I just want it to look better than it does now. Also have rust issues to deal with, and there is no point in doing good paint until those are resolved, but I also dont want to leave it as is for the next couple of years either. My other problem is that I only have the driveway to work with when I do it. Right now im putting on some rattle can primer, and once thats done some cheap spray paint. Im on a tight budget too, but who isnt...

9. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

one question.....if you are going to go cheap on the paint job because you are going off-road and want easy touch-up....why bother sanding and cleaning? i sure didn't. saves a lot of time. i simply wiped the blazer down with a damp cloth with acetone on it, primed it, painted. camo krylon. does'nt look bad at all!!!! HIT A TREE? no tears shed, just touch it up!
    see mine at the link below! don't look at the wheels, haven't had time to paint them ...yet!

when all else fails..............HIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32</a>